• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

Reminder Big 12 meetings Mon & Tues, Monday is to discuss realignment and scheduling with other conferences.

In realignment regards expect to hear USF/UCF as possibilities to Big 12, though it wont happen soon, if ever.  Big 12 knows it cant crack the ACC but needs B1G and SEC to do so.

Last week Gee (OSU President) went on record about B1G x 2 = 20, They are clearly targeting ACC and possibly a Big 12 & SEC team. 

My preference would be to offer Miami (who is ACC 1st, Big 12 2nd) now, give FSU a chance to accept if they dont (ie go B1G) invite USF, to get to 12.  Then wait for rest of dominos to fall.  Then take 4 to get to 16 for 4 pods of 4.

Edited by jvwvu

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Reminder Big 12 meetings Mon & Tues, Monday is to discuss realignment and scheduling with other conferences.

In realignment regards expect to hear USF/UCF as possibilities to Big 12, though it wont happen soon, if ever. Big 12 knows it cant crack the ACC but needs B1G and SEC to do so.

Last week Gee (OSU President) went on record about B1G x 2 = 20, They are clearly targeting ACC and possibly a Big 12 & SEC team.

My preference would be to offer Miami (who is ACC 1st, Big 12 2nd) now, give FSU a chance to accept if they dont (ie go B1G) invite USF, to get to 12. Then wait for rest of dominos to fall. Then take 4 to get to 16 for 4 pods of 4.

You mean take USF only after FSU refusues and moves to the BIG?

What about this conference alliance the big 12 was talking about?

Also, I cannot imagine any university leaving the SEC. But, it would be a smooth transition because the SEC has no exit penalty that I am aware of. The only SEC target I can imagine is Mizzou.

USF has value as a Florida school for recruiting and for a TV network fees in Florida. I guess the same applies to UCF but USF has a better image having been an AQ team and having at least some history of being defeating good teams.

Miami is interesting because in my opinion they are on a decline and i dont know if they can recover. Terrible attendance, haven't been relavent lately, and are a small private school with a smaller alumni base. Their biggest asset is their history and location, but I don't see a lot of future growth potential for them like there is for USF and even UCF or Houston.

The biggest X factor in this is the PAC 12 and whether or not Texas and Oklahoma will want to jump ship in a few years.

It's obvious the big 12 needs to expand by at least two. USF and UCF is the path of least resistance because of the ACC exit penalty. This I think is the best thing we have going for us.

Edited by Gismo

In realignment regards expect to hear USF/UCF as possibilities to Big 12, though it wont happen soon, if ever. Big 12 knows it cant crack the ACC but needs B1G and SEC to do so.

My preference would be to offer Miami (who is ACC 1st, Big 12 2nd) now, give FSU a chance to accept if they dont (ie go B1G) invite USF, to get to 12. Then wait for rest of dominos to fall. Then take 4 to get to 16 for 4 pods of 4.

You mean take USF only after FSU refusues and moves to the BIG?  YES, Big 12 needs 2 FLa teams, imo

What about this conference alliance the big 12 was talking about?  Conference intra league games during season (Kick off games like Bama WVU in 2014) and more bowl games between the two (OWNED by the 2 conferences - at either neutral close sites, so WVU would go up against VT (assumes Big 12/ACC) at say Fed Ex Field.  Big12 is doing what is best for them now including ACC in this until B1G and SEC makes moves, and doing this makes sens with the 5 leagues and when it becomes 4 it just gets realigned also.  Either ACC or Big12 will be dead as we know it in 5-7 years, imo.  Big 12 will either be gone, or it will be a ACC/BE merger

Also, I cannot imagine any university leaving the SEC. But, it would be a smooth transition because the SEC has no exit penalty that I am aware of. The only SEC target I can imagine is Mizzou. Mizzou only one and would jump at B1G, Big 12 team would be Kansas

USF has value as a Florida school for recruiting and for a TV network fees in Florida. I guess the same applies to UCF but USF has a better image having been an AQ team and having at least some history of being defeating good teams.   Yes, USF would give West coast/Miami would give east if FSU said no, both would overlap UCF in Orlando, imo

Miami is interesting because in my opinion they are on a decline and i dont know if they can recover. Terrible attendance, haven't been relavent lately, and are a small private school with a smaller alumni base. Their biggest asset is their history and location, but I don't see a lot of future growth potential for them like there is for USF and even UCF or Houston.  Forget attendance its about people watching the tv and they have a national audience

The biggest X factor in this is the PAC 12 and whether or not Texas and Oklahoma will want to jump ship in a few years.  Option but Texas does not want PAC it wants B1G, issue is its little brothers, I see Texas in ACC before PAC 12, and if that happens I could see PAC 20 like Big 20 and them "combining"  as a joint combo with them being one of the playoff teams and SEC & (ACC/Big 12 ) the other

It's obvious the big 12 needs to expand by at least two. USF and UCF is the path of least resistance because of the ACC exit penalty. This I think is the best thing we have going for us.  Problem is its easier to blow up Big 12 with 10 schools (8 finding homes - 80% Vote needed) earlier than the 12 year GOR than with adding USF/UCF

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688

excellent perspective jvwvu  :GoBulls:

McMurhpy just tweeted B1G to consider 9 or 10 league games.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

McMurhpy just tweeted B1G to consider 9 or 10 league games.

All those leagues will and it will squeeze out the smaller leagues in OOC games.

You have to have 9 if you go to 20, 10 if cross rival. 18 would be 8 or 9 with cross rival.

If 20 i like 4 pods of 5, with 9 games and Champ, so you play everyone once every 3 years.

But yes you are right less games against "have nots". USF needs B1G to expand with the less the best right now.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Big Ten was considering 9 team conference slate when they added Nebraska, nothing new with 12 team conference. With 14, 9 is all but required to have six divisional games and at least three cross division games. 10 game slate with 14 teams gives them six divisional and four cross divisional, which guarantees you at least play more than half of the other division's teams. Once they go to 16 (or beyond), ten games is almost a necessity whether its two sides or four pods. At least with pod setup, schedule has more permutations to offer in terms of balance. Playing three games in four team pods, offers six (for 9 total), or seven (for 10 total) spots for the three other pods. Could play all four teams in another pod and mix of remaining eight teams, or could play 2-3 from the three other pods. Without playing more total games, there will always end up being a year that some team plays a weak division or pod, and gets a schedule where the teams they happen to play are all "down"...and someone else whines because they lose a tiebreaker without getting to play the other team head-to-head and won't meet them in a championship game.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722

1. Takeaway: In a perfect world, Big 12 would love to pursue alliance with ACC others. But college football world far from perfect.

2. Bowlsby said any additional members would have to bring the same amount as the average for current members, $26.2M.

3. Bowlsby also uknowledged uncertainty. "It's a changing environment and we have to be prepared to respond to that changing environment."

4. Bowlsby: "There are ways you can get some of the benefits and some of the value of larger configuration without actually adding members."

5. Bowlsby said ADs by "unanimous" show of hands endorsed idea that "alliances have merit and we're willing to support." Early in process.

6. Asked if ADs meeting in Dallas was about expansion, alliance what-ifs, Bob Bowlsby said: "Absolutely, there wasn't anything but what-ifs."

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722

1. Takeaway: In a perfect world, Big 12 would love to pursue alliance with ACC others. But college football world far from perfect.

2. Bowlsby said any additional members would have to bring the same amount as the average for current members, $26.2M.

3. Bowlsby also uknowledged uncertainty. "It's a changing environment and we have to be prepared to respond to that changing environment."

4. Bowlsby: "There are ways you can get some of the benefits and some of the value of larger configuration without actually adding members."

5. Bowlsby said ADs by "unanimous" show of hands endorsed idea that "alliances have merit and we're willing to support." Early in process.

6. Asked if ADs meeting in Dallas was about expansion, alliance what-ifs, Bob Bowlsby said: "Absolutely, there wasn't anything but what-ifs."