• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

"Williams acknowledged he was "not pleased" specifically about adding Tulane... "I was disappointed that I wasn't able to participate as a member of the conference in the deliberation that went into adding that." "

^ ****. son referred to Tulane as "THAT." LOL!

• Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Who would we have added (and have an invite accepted) besides ECU and Tulane that would make the Catholic-7 happy?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

I see Aresco's job as doing his best to get each individual school into the best possible position, because with the Rutgers and Louisville departures, there's nothing he can do to keep this group together. Put a fork in it; we're done. Help the basketball schools get what they need, get the rest of us into real conferences (if possible) and help negotiate deals for those of us that have to go independent -- for that, he should be rewarded with a fat check taken from the fees collected from various departures.

Where in what you wrote is what his primary responsibility as BEC commissioner is? Secure the best interests of the conference. Everything you've proposed is equivalent to managing the dissolution of the conference. Yes we lost two teams, and it could be argued not even the best two products the BEC had (Rutgers). The issue being raised is that the decision to add two schools which add next to nothing to the conference may be the tipping point to drive out the BB schools which have defined the BEC for decades, even more than the football product which has been mocked constantly.

I was raised on BE basketball so as I see it, there is a lot to be lost here.

I disagree rewarding Aresco with a fat bonus for accelerating the conference's demise by adding Tulane and ECU in the quest for TV dollars which will not come.

+1

That's the point I was trying to make. Whether the Big East had a future or not, adding ECU and Tulane appears to have been the tipping point for the BB schools. It could be that adding ECU and Tulane was necessary for some reason I don't fully understand, but based upon what we've seen in the media, it doesn't appear to have been necessary. It may have been consistent with Aresco's urban TV strategy, and the desire for a conference championship game, but none of that really matters if it causes the conference to collapse due to the departure of the Big East's only remaining "brand" - BB.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

Remember when I said what if UConn went semi indpendent as 16 with ND.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

Who would we have added (and have an invite accepted) besides ECU and Tulane that would make the Catholic-7 happy?

You presume we had to add two schools when UofL and Rutgers left. I don't think we did. Sometimes doing nothing is the better course.

UMass probably would have been acceptable. of course BYU but that would never have happened. i think they would have preferred not adding Tulane in hoops. i dont think he gives af who they add in football-only

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

If this happens then Uconn, UC and USF should really think about suing ESPN

They need ESPN to get them in ACC.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174

I see Aresco's job as doing his best to get each individual school into the best possible position, because with the Rutgers and Louisville departures, there's nothing he can do to keep this group together. Put a fork in it; we're done. Help the basketball schools get what they need, get the rest of us into real conferences (if possible) and help negotiate deals for those of us that have to go independent -- for that, he should be rewarded with a fat check taken from the fees collected from various departures.

Aresco took over the Titantic after we already hit the iceberg, I don't blame him for trying to keep her afloat as long as he could.

Completely agree; he's doing his best. I don't we can expect miracles from him... it's just not realistic.

Any BCS school that is left out of the final round of realignment would easily have a multiparty lawsuit against almost every major conference and ESPN. That's actually the biggest positive I see in the matter for USF. Either a conference is going to take us or we're going to be able to sue to our heart's content and we can build a floating on OCS with the money we'd win in settlements, alone.

that would pretty much guarantee we are never in a good conference

if ESPN assists those schools in getting into another conference i dont see any lawsuits. that's yet to be determined tho. i would imagine if that happens those schools would examine their options.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

They need ESPN to get them in ACC.

Exactly, pressure ESPN by threatening.