• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jeff Scott - Post game presser

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

45 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I thought it was perfectly called and almost perfectly executed and I believe it even opened up a lot more space for the plays that followed. I even called it out in the game thread as something I thought was great even though it didn’t work exactly as we would have liked. It exploited their attack and it changed some of their approach that followed.

It was the first real trick play that I can remember seeing in the last 2 or 3 seasons. That may be in part because I have chosen to mentally block the last 3 years, but seeing it almost happen brought a smile to my face. It was reminiscent of the play against Oklahoma that worked, but was called an illegal forward lateral. I can never find the video of that play, but I recall at the time that I thought it was a BS penalty. 

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,553
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

Who are you and what did you do with our snarky Puc? 

Seriously though, there were two plays in this game that could have greatly altered the first half outcome. First, the perfectly called, almost perfectly executed WR pass. Second, LaPointe's missed tackle on 4th and 2. 

Hit that trick play and it is 7-7. Maybe momentum changes a little bit more than the FG. Maybe the defense doesn't give up an immediate 75 yard TD pass. It's impossible to tell. The FG, after that long, sustained drive, did feel a little bit like a letdown and would have been a tremendous letdown if it wasn't the first points of the season. 

After that bomb TD made it 14-3, we had another good drive that resulted in a turnover on downs at the UF 33 yard line. UF was able to get to the USF 43 and went for it on 4th down. LaPointe missed the open-field tackle and UF went on to score again and get up 21-3. From there, the wheels fell off the bus. 

Again, I'm not saying we somehow pull off the upset if these plays go our way, but there were definite moments when the trajectory of the game could have changed dramatically (like the tipped ball on 3rd down on NC State's opening drive). 

Our margin for error with the talent that we have is very small. We have to take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves and make plays when they matter. For the most part, that happened in the second half and we saw the results. 

There was also the missed int in the end zone that we should have had.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,651
  • Days Won:  29

3 hours ago, puc86 said:

Three and out. And when they got their first TD we answered back with a FG.

And it was a 17 play drive that ate up over 6 minutes!

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,265
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, E.T. said:

CCS would have been pumped 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,651
  • Days Won:  29

5 minutes ago, E.T. said:

And even between Run & Pass ...