• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Florida Bowl Projections

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I know its petty, but bowls like to see how many people would actually show from one school, BUT they also like to see how many will stay in their cities.

How many would STAY in Jacksonville for the game? I know a study done in for the 2002 Orange Bowl showed that 35,000 - 40,000 UF fans showed for the game and only 15,000 of them stayed in hotels compared to 25,000 Maryland fans who had about 90% of those stay. Its crappy politics, but bowls have to justify the use of city money to keep their funding up.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

That makes sense if the game were in Tampa... but jacksonville, if it were a night game, would get alot of people travelling there and staying there.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Bowls don't care about how many people stay.  That doesn't do anything for them.  Sure, they host city wants people staying.  Why do you think Miami has been to so many Orange Bowls and the Liberty Bowl hangs with Memphis?

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677
  • Days Won:  0

The Big East has a tie-in with the Gator.

I forgot the new deal starts next year.. I still don't see U there though.. it will most likely be WV if u win out .. or Louisville... if WV beats U .. I think u have good shot for one of the other 2.

Bowls don't care about how many people stay.  That doesn't do anything for them.  Sure, they host city wants people staying.  Why do you think Miami has been to so many Orange Bowls and the Liberty Bowl hangs with Memphis?

Of course they do. But it's a balancing act. If they can get 20,000 more fans in the seats, they'll choose a local team over a travelling team.

Florida bowls love to grab UF even though they won't be getting as many hotels, because it guarantees a sellout.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I forgot the new deal starts next year.. I still don't see U there though.. it will most likely be WV if u win out .. or Louisville... if WV beats U .. I think u have good shot for one of the other 2.

I agree with that scenario... i think "tradition" will burn us for the Gator bowl scenario, even being instate.

I guess we'll just have to win out  ;)

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Of course they do. But it's a balancing act. If they can get 20,000 more fans in the seats, they'll choose a local team over a travelling team.

Florida bowls love to grab UF even though they won't be getting as many hotels, because it guarantees a sellout.

Actually, UF didn't sellout their last visit to the Citrus Bowl (believe it was against Mich St) and they didn't sellout against Syracuse in the Orange Bowl about 5-6 years ago.

Believe the Orange Bowl game vs Maryland soldout...mostly because Maryland sent 30,000 plus fans to that game.

Guest KnightStalker

I think the Hawaii Bowl is a good fit for UCF. It offers more exposure that the Houston Bowl and is a total kick butt location.

Actually, UF didn't sellout their last visit to the Citrus Bowl (believe it was against Mich St) and they didn't sellout against Syracuse in the Orange Bowl about 5-6 years ago.

Believe the Orange Bowl game vs Maryland soldout...mostly because Maryland sent 30,000 plus fans to that game.

Florida definitely sold out their allotment plus some for those games.