• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does anyone follow the lacrosse team?

Guest Jonesy Bull
2 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

All of the above.  USF would have to fund them, add women's sports to balance them out, and travel way too far away for games.

That makes sense.  Although in hockey at least there are quite a few Florida and Southern club teams....if they could band together somehow.  They could make a southern NCAA conference.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,881
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

But god it would be great. I think about those Big 10 teams and the awesome winters they have: both men’s basketball and hockey to follow...it must be so sweet. 

Even the best College hockey is meh, similar to college baseball.  The passing and speed of game is boring to watch.  If you are going to follow either than follow a pro team.  You got the Bruins to follow and they are wicked good.  I agree with you that College hockey at USF will always be club, too expensive between the equipment, ice time, travel and obviously Title IX.  

Guest Jonesy Bull
24 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Even the best College hockey is meh, similar to college baseball.  The passing and speed of game is boring to watch.  If you are going to follow either than follow a pro team.  You got the Bruins to follow and they are wicked good.  I agree with you that College hockey at USF will always be club, too expensive between the equipment, ice time, travel and obviously Title IX.  

I would counteract your argument that this is a hockey town.  The Lightning have instilled a love for hockey here.

USF hockey would have a much better chance to be successful here than almost any other southern college city/town.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Friscobull said:

You are way, way, off here my friend. College hockey is like college football...you got the bands, players with higher emotion (fewer games), students chanting trash at the players, and fun rivalries. In fact if USF was D1 I seriously doubt I would follow MBB that much. The University of New Hampshire is only fair this year but the games against Maine and BC are the most fun you can have without getting laid. It is trash talking at its best. Oh and **** the Bruins...I am a Rangers fan...and yes just another one of my teams that sucks ass right now. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

57 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I would counteract your argument that this is a hockey town.  The Lightning have instilled a love for hockey here.

USF hockey would have a much better chance to be successful here than almost any other southern college city/town.

I am not disagreeing that the Lightning have had great success and remember going to watch them numerous times at the fairgrounds the opening season and later having season tickets at the Ice Palace.  I would follow them however it is way too expensive of a sport and for that reason will always be a club sport. 

23 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

You are way, way, off here my friend. College hockey is like college football...you got the bands, players with higher emotion (fewer games), students chanting trash at the players, and fun rivalries. In fact if USF was D1 I seriously doubt I would follow MBB that much. The University of New Hampshire is only fair this year but the games against Maine and BC are the most fun you can have without getting laid. It is trash talking at its best. Oh and **** the Bruins...I am a Rangers fan...and yes just another one of my teams that sucks ass right now. 

The college hockey game is slow, passing is not crisp, full cage face masks.   I follow the Stars and watch 50 plus games a year, Watching the NHL and then trying to watch a college Hockey game is difficult, like watching a top 25 men’s college basketball game and then watching a high school girls game.  Unless you live in New England or the upper Midwest the rest of the nation has never even watched a college game. Probably fun to attend but unwatchable on TV.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

5 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

The college hockey game is slow, passing is not crisp, full cage face masks.   I follow the Stars and watch 50 plus games a year, Watching the NHL and then trying to watch a college Hockey game is difficult, like watching a top 25 men’s college basketball game and then watching a high school girls game.  Unless you live in New England or the upper Midwest the rest of the nation has never even watched a college game. Probably fun to attend but unwatchable on TV.

Oh I agree College hockey is very regionalized. Just like college lacrosse (which I can’t watch at all) and to a degree college football. Up here there is not too many examples of bad hockey. For me the crowd interaction in college hockey is a lot better than the NHL albeit on a smaller scale. Yes, the quality of play is no where near the NHL but I can say the same when comparing CFB with the NFL. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
8 hours ago, Friscobull said:

I am not disagreeing that the Lightning have had great success and remember going to watch them numerous times at the fairgrounds the opening season and later having season tickets at the Ice Palace.  I would follow them however it is way too expensive of a sport and for that reason will always be a club sport. 

Im sure its more expensive than most sports.  But some of the infastructure that the Lightning have would help with that.  There are numerous small arenas and practice facilities they could play at.  

I dont know how long ago you lived here but hockey is a thousand times more popular now than back in the day.  High School teams in Tampa have teams now.  If they can afford it why cant USF?  And Title IV - just start a womens Swim team or something.

The biggest problem is there are no close NCAA teams.  So travel would be expensive.

17 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Oh I agree College hockey is very regionalized. Just like college lacrosse (which I can’t watch at all) and to a degree college football. Up here there is not too many examples of bad hockey. For me the crowd interaction in college hockey is a lot better than the NHL albeit on a smaller scale. Yes, the quality of play is no where near the NHL but I can say the same when comparing CFB with the NFL. 

CFB is still exciting to watch, even more so than the NFL due to big plays and mismatches. I have never been to a college hockey game and it sounds fun one time but does not translate over into an interesting TV product while the NHL does IMO. Everything is regionalized to a certain extent however only small pockets in the US follow college hockey while only small pockets don’t follow college football.  I am not against it but not gonna happen and don’t really care if it does anyways.

9 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Im sure its more expensive than most sports.  But some of the infastructure that the Lightning have would help with that.  There are numerous small arenas and practice facilities they could play at.  

I dont know how long ago you lived here but hockey is a thousand times more popular now than back in the day.  High School teams in Tampa have teams now.  If they can afford it why cant USF?  And Title IV - just start a womens Swim team or something.

The biggest problem is there are no close NCAA teams.  So travel would be expensive.

They cancelled the swim teams in the late 80’s due to title IX and budget constraints.  They gave us women’s cross country in its place, very cheap to run, 8 or so runners packed in a van for travel with sweats as the only equipment, good ones get their shoes comped.  I was there when they hosted the cup, seeing the Bucs and the Bolts beat Philly in game 7 and the NFC championship in consecutive years and then go on to win it all was euphoria.  NHL hockey is popular, snow birds help, college hockey is like lacrosse or men’s volleyball, nobody cares.