• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pat Julmiste Prepare yourself

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

Excuse me, but doesn't using the spread leave the QB more vulnerable?  Not saying it does but maybe someone could explain some more detail. I know it helps as far as the running game but seems there would be less protection for the QB...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me, but doesn't using the spread leave the QB more vulnerable?  Not saying it does but maybe someone could explain some more detail. I know it helps as far as the running game but seems there would be less protection for the QB...

No more or less protection... there are still five OLs going aginst 4 DLs... if teams blitz then the LBs might not have an RB or TE to block them, but that also means that one or more WRs will be open.

I would expect screen passes to Hall, we haven't done that much... and Miami is not that strong aginst a running QB... so expect a few QB draws or event RB draw plays (not something we've done a lot this year).

Miami has some good speed, and don't seem to be overpursuing as much as Louisville has been... so reverses won't work.  Also WR screens can be dangerous unless the CB gives a 10 yard cushion.

Our offense is still centered around Hall running, and I think he will do well.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  34

Im sure our gimick plays will not function as well as they did against UL, however, i have confidence on our D.  As far as PJ, im not confident on his efforst, i hope he has a hell of a game, because i think we're going to need all the effort we can posibly muster! I still think it will be a good and close game!

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  146

One of the most important aspects is going to be Coach Smith's play calling vs. Miami's defensive alignments.  I can't imagine the defensive coordinator for UM being extremely confident in having young and inexperienced DB's in their first game.  Because of this, Miami may be forced to play a more basic defense and may not be able to use a lot of blitzing, especially if we throw out 4 WR formations.  If this is the case, then, Miami won't be able to stack the line and we should be able to use our advantage which is running the ball.  As far as PJ is concerned, yes, he must complete passes, but more importantly, if he can manage to scramble for a few first downs, then we should be able to sustain drives on them.

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Jim, I hope you're right about their D line and Andre getting 5-6 yards a clip, but I don't see that happening.  If so, it will be right up the gut.  They have too much speed to try anything on the edge.  

I was happy with PJ's play against a very solid PSU defense.  There were a ton of dropped balls in that game and PJ looked pretty good.  He'll definitely be a deciding factor in this ballgame, unlike the wins versus FAMU, UCF, and Louisville.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

You guys are thinking about PJ a little wrong.

Miami's base D is man under cover 2 still, right?  That means you get 4 linemen, everyone else manned up, except nobody is on the QB.

That, my friends, means we need PJ running a bit in addition to the normal doses of Hall.  Miami is a little thin in the secondary, so if we get single coverage, have PJ throw jump balls @ their less experienced guys.  PJ can definitely throw jump balls like that, we've all seen him do it.

Miami hates rushing QB's.  the QB draw and option choice is our friend in this game...as it will freeze otherwise extremely fast linebackers a bit.

If USF gets the running game going in any way, shape, or form we're in it.  Miami will find single coverage on multiple capable wideouts difficult, but they wont come up on us unless we force them.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  106

You guys don't realize that Miami has a whole 2 sacks in 3 games... and their DL is going against an OL that has allowed 1 sack (Denson late in the FAMU game) in 4 games... I really really really like that matchup.

Their DL is just not that good -- it's their LBs and DBs that are solid... and their DBs are depleted with inuries.  Hall should be able to run through the DL and gain 5-6 yards per carry... Also consider that it's hard to "stack the line" when you have to defend 4 WRs... I expect us to use the spread a heck of a lot more this week to open holes for Hall.

PJ has shown some great improvement over last year... the touch passes to Jackson and Peyton vs Louisville were outstanding ... and the INT was really more like a punt anyway as it came on 3rd and long.

PJ will have time to find open receivers... but our guys need to catch the ball.

Miami has been an underachieving team for the last year and a half.  UL has about 6 stars on their team.  Miami has about 60.  

They have two weaknesses:

1) QB, due to inexperience.  He is one of the most talented QBs in the country.

2) DBs due to injury.  From an article I read in the Sun-Sentinel, they have had numerous injuries to their secondary.  We should line up in the spread and find the mismatches.  PJ needs to know who is good and who is good, but young.  Short passes and I can see a lot of YAC and not a lot of pressure on PJ.

8)

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  93

Miami has been an underachieving team for the last year and a half.  UL has about 6 stars on their team.  Miami has about 60.  

They have two weaknesses:

1) QB, due to inexperience.  He is one of the most talented QBs in the country.

2) DBs due to injury.  From an article I read in the Sun-Sentinel, they have had numerous injuries to their secondary.  We should line up in the spread and find the mismatches.  PJ needs to know who is good and who is good, but young.  Short passes and I can see a lot of YAC and not a lot of pressure on PJ.

8)

If you all truely follow college football, you will be familiar with the names Kenny Phillips and Brandon Mariweather.  Please Julmiste throw the ball, I beg you too.  

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  106

If you all truely follow college football, you will be familiar with the names Kenny Phillips and Brandon Mariweather.  Please Julmiste throw the ball, I beg you too.

Two DBs can't cover 4 or 5 WRs.  Throw the ball against one of the other DBs.  I was under the impression you had a lot of injuries in the secondary.

8)