• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is that OUR Howie on the air right now??

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

By the way I know Coach Leavitt and he is called "Jimmy" by some folks.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

Let me start by saying that I am an unabashed Duemig supporter.  My current job normally keeps me away from the radio until at least 6pm most nights, but I've listened to Steve for many, many years.  He doesn't talk USF for one simple reason, nobody calls to talk about it.  He is and always has been a caller driven show.  You want to change the topic, he is normally always willing to (with maybe the exception of NASCAR and NBA hoops).  The way he ticks is that if you become aggressive with him, he'll throw it right back at you.

With that said, I've got to admit, after about the first 30 seconds of Howie's rant, I had to change the channel.  I've never been more embarrassed about being a USF fan than I was at that moment.  The "big 3" and their supporters, call us wannabes, bush league, whatever, and today they were right.  The largest sports station in the area and probably in the state is mentioning our new relationship with both themselves and 970, and our first caller basically threw us right under the bus.  I know that it's already been beaten enough on the 5 pages here, but wow!  Women's golf, the 2002 football season, give me a break!  How could you go there Howie?

Duemig would probably admit to you that he's not that well versed on Bulls football, but you know what, just like everyone else in the area, if we start to win again, he'll be right there on the bandwagon.   Calling in and "talking" USF football is one thing, but berating the host is just not the way to go about it.  We have to look at ourselves as the unofficial ambassadors to the program, we need to help get people interested and get butts in the seats.  Keep calling in.  Educate the community on why they should get behind this team.  

PS - Howie, if you read this, and you probably will, I've just got to tell you that I respect your opinion about this topic, but I just have to respectfully disagree with you here.  You're a passionate member of this forum and always have great insight.  Keep up the great work.  Just don't kill these radio guys, we want them on our side :)

Wow. I said a whole lot of things, but I obviously, I didnt word them as good as you did.

Good job. I agree 100%.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

It would have been better to talk about how excited you are for the coming season, how Denson (not Dawson) has the potential to take the team to a bowl game, how disappointed you are that the community isn't supporting this team like it should by buying season tickets, how impressed you are with Coach Leavitt getting us to this level, how the Tampa Sports Authority is a fascist organization for not letting us tailgate before 4:00pm or throw footballs around the parking lot, how the Glazers should do more to promote USF football as they get money from concessions and can ask for more money from advertisers...

Best thing I've read on this thread (so far)

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

Rebe,

You are right about USF golf and tennis, but not many people outside of this board care about it.

Hell, not that many inside this board care.  It's college golf & tennis...who gives a.....?

Unless it's a cute female player of course!

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

They only show the Top 15. How long have you been following USF?

ALL the papers reported that USF was the only team to EVER finish in the Top 25 in the BCS standings who didn't get an invite to a bowl game.

I have seen that too.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

Point #1

Duemig is a tool -- he will always be a tool. I was listening to that barf bag he calls a radio show TWO years ago (2003) and he laughingly lumped USF in with a terrible Baylor team as far as betting was concerned. You want to get to Duemig-- hit him with information about how WELL USF has faired in terms of point spreads. Maybe not last season-- we had a tough year (couldn't say how well we did against those spreads but we did have some upsets go both ways). But every season prior to that, we were very solid agianst the line. Hearing the crap he said about USF as if no USF fan was going to hear it or call him out on it sucked majorly.

Point #2

Howie is not exactly Mr. Tact. At least that has been my impression of him in our meetings. Perhaps it's the New York guy in him-- I don't know. That he got through to talk in the first place does say something for his tenacity as well as the amount of free time he has in his retirement. I didn't hear what he had to say but based on the comments of those who did-- well, of course it could be handled better. The whole show sounded more like a disaster in terms of CJL not giving it a whole hour and several other things like Gators getting through (probably to talk about Urban Meyer-- yeah-- like the guy hasn't had enough media attention).

Point #3

Coach Leavitt can handle a long interview if he wants to talk to you. The folks who work with him during the season on the radio show and even Al Keck on the TV show will attest to that--- he is as down to earth and genuine a person as you will find. He may have had personal reasons to get out of there quicker.

I don't know what to make of all this stuff more than that. Like most things USF in the media, it will most likely be at most a page two affair.

Just be thankful smazza didn't call in.