• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Denson Moves Ahead in USF QB Race

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Denson Moves Ahead in USF QB Race

By BRETT MCMURPHY

Published: Aug 23, 2005

TAMPA - Sophomore Courtney Denson has moved ahead of junior Pat Julmiste and freshman Carlton Hill in the University of South Florida's competition for the starting quarterback position.

Denson and Julmiste were virtually even last week, but Denson's performance in Saturday's scrimmage moved him past Julmiste with 12 days to go until the Bulls' season opener Sept. 3 at Penn State.

HILL TO USF: Former LSU WR Amp Hill, one of the Tigers' top receivers until a knee injury as a freshman, said he will transfer to USF.

"It's definitely a program on the rise," Hill said. "Coach Lawrence Dawsey and I had a great rapport at LSU and that factored in my decision.

"When I decided to leave LSU, USF was the first name that came into my head. Coach Dawsey had a warm heart to me, he welcomed me with open arms. It made it easier to know they felt so deeply moved for me to transfer to South Florida."

Hill was a prep All-American at Jacksonville First Coast. As an LSU freshman, he worked into the Tigers' four-man rotation, along with Bucs WR Michael Clayton, before suffering a season-ending knee injury that required two surgeries.

Hill, who had four catches for 80 yards and a TD in LSU's spring game, said he left LSU because he wasn't getting a fair chance to compete.

"The coaching change didn't have a big thing to do with it, it was mostly the lack of playing time," Hill said.

Hill must sit out the 2005 season and will have two years eligibility remaining. He is USF's fourth transfer in the past two months, joining QB Grant Gregory (Indiana), DE Maurice Webster (N.C. State) and RB Vince Wilson (North Carolina).

ODDS AND ENDS: Freshman Mike Benzer moved ahead of Kyle Bronson in the battle to replace Santiago Gramatica as USF's placekicker, USF coach Jim Leavitt said. ... Information about events for USF's Sept. 10 home opener against Florida A&M are available at: www.famu-usf.com

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBKKQ4KPCE.html

Brett...If you are reading this, have them change that to Maurice Charles.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  562

all i care about is if he's more accurate than PJ.. if so,i'm happy

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

all i care about is if he's more accurate than PJ.. if so,i'm happy

Well, if he did better in scrimmage, he either threw better or he runs really, really fast.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

Well, if he did better in scrimmage, he either threw better or he runs really, really fast.

I'd bet it's probably the fact he runs very fast ;D

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Its great to hear about Denson and Benzer stepping up.  Hopefully he keeps progressing.

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991

There is a g-d, because if PJ started I do not know what the heck I would have done, I still stand by my statement that PJ would not start on many High School teams, he is horrible and cost us a ton of games last yr, hopefully Carlton Hill beats him out to be the #2 guy in the next 12 days.

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

Can't wait to see somthin outta Denson.

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Denson with his mobility provides USF the chance to compete with PSU.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Based on coaches' comments regarding Saturday's scrimmage it sounds like the USF QB competition is starting to resemble a presidential election.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

Finally! I have been waiting for this decision since we had the influx of talent at QB. I appreciate PJ's hard work and dedication but I have been a firm believer that he should not be on the field this season. He had his chances and didn't capitalize. Nice to see us moving on. Best of luck to Denson.