• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

15 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Ahh you are mistaken. I was referencing Keylan Kilgore, the reliever who bested our "ace" in every statistical category today. 

But it is what it is, I wasn't surprised, just hoped that today would be the day that he took that next step. 

That RS Soph "reliever", who is older than SM by about 6 or 7 months, threw 1 more inning and gave up the same amount of ER.  That's SM's fault?  Now we are blaming SM because we can't hit 3 relievers over 9 innings.   LOL  Just stop posting ..... :lmao:

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

My guess would be that our guy couldn’t go more than 5 and therefore was far less effective than a typical ace.  It doesn’t have to be personal.  Shane threw too many pitches again.  It’s a problem.  Glad he could give five, but 7 or 8 would have been better win or lose...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brad said:

My guess would be that our guy couldn’t go more than 5 and therefore was far less effective than a typical ace.  It doesn’t have to be personal.  Shane threw too many pitches again.  It’s a problem.  Glad he could give five, but 7 or 8 would have been better win or lose...

Houston's ace got lit up in 1.1 innings yesterday (Conference Pitcher of the Year).   Shane's 5 innings of 1 ER ball had nothing to do with why we lost today and his shorter outings haven't cost us single game (other than the 3 he got rocked).  They used 3 relievers to hold us to 2 runs.  How come it wasn't a problem for Wichita St.?  They didn't even bother rolling a starter out there today.  He's not perfect, but it's absurd to blame today's loss on him.  Shouldn't even be mentioned in the discussion.

Edited by chapelbull

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

14 minutes ago, Brad said:

Are they really streaming video through the chain link fence? 

#power6

11 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Shane's 5 innings of 1 ER ball had nothing to do with why we lost today and his shorter outings haven't cost us single game (other than the 3 he got rocked). 

It does matter..  As I said above, even had we won, Shane’s performance meant we’d have to spend 4 bull pen innings in the first game of a tournament.  Just not a great performance.

By the way, I am not blaming the loss on him.  I don’t know if anyone is.  I’m just saying that’s not a good day for him.

It wasn’t a problem for WSU because they clobbered Shane’s replacement!  That might be an unfair description, I only saw that three were given up after Shane’s early departure....maybe it wasn’t a clobbering, but it wasn’t good either.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

I think my point might be getting a little misinterpreted

The whole point of bringing up Kilgore is that in a game where we threw our ace and they threw the bullpen......Our ace wasn't the best pitcher on the field, nor was the pitcher who did the most to determine the outcome. Going into that game there should be a hope that our ace would be that guy.

He left that game at 1-1, if he stays through the seventh and its him against Bohm that fourth time through. You could make a case that the whole game turns, but that was over six outs after he had to leave. That's what I hope for with Shane every time he goes out. That's the kind of game changing pitcher SM can be, its in him, we saw against memphis. He just has to throw strikes.  Here's to his regional start, I hope he meets those expectations. If he does, this team can win.  

12 minutes ago, Brad said:

It does matter..  As I said above, even had we won, Shane’s performance meant we’d have to spend 4 bull pen innings in the first game of a tournament.  Just not a great performance.

By the way, I am not blaming the loss on him.  I don’t know if anyone is.  I’m just saying that’s not a good day for him.

It wasn’t a problem for WSU because they clobbered Shane’s replacement!  That might be an unfair description, I only saw that three were given up after Shane’s early departure....maybe it wasn’t a clobbering, but it wasn’t good either.

His short outing matters if we run out of pitching down the road.  I get that, but it wasn't the cause of today's loss.   His short outings were something that was foreseen prior to the season.  Not a surprise.

Today we were held to 2 runs by 3 relievers.  We need to be looking closely at the hitting

Edited by chapelbull

Hopefully Shane will throw a complete shutout in the regionals and slug a couple of dingers so we have a chance to win.  

Can't wait until he is gone next year so we can get that ever elusive national title ...... 

3 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

I get that, but it wasn't the cause of today's loss. 

No kidding.

On another note, our second game is underway....

Meanwhile PS has been lit up his last 3 outings with nary a word.  Hope he gets it done today.  Go Bulls!

1 minute ago, Brad said:

No kidding.

Well that was the point of my response