• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls LB Nicholas Contemplates NFL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Bulls LB Nicholas Contemplates NFL

Published: Aug 10, 2005

TAMPA As the University of South Florida's seniors gathered for their senior photo at Tuesday's Media Days, SS Johnnie Jones waved LB Stephen Nicholas over.

"C'mon, get in here," Jones said. "You know this is your last year."

Nicholas is only a junior, but may declare for the NFL Draft after this year. He is only 17 hours shy of his communications degree.

"I'm trying not to think about it," Nicholas said. "I'm just thinking about winning bowl games and championships. We're going to have a big year. Everything else will take care of itself."

ONE SPORT ONLY: Sophomore WR Amarri Jackson, who played basketball at HCC last season, said he will only play football at USF.

Jackson wanted to play both sports, but said USF basketball coach Robert McCullum wouldn't allow it.

"It's all right because football is my first love," said the 6-foot-5 Jackson.

Brett McMurphy

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBDAWH67CE.html

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Stupid... If Amarri is that good of a ballplayer, and he wants to play both, let him. Even Dean Smith, Roy Williams, and great coaches like Seth Greenberg  ;D had talented players from the gridiron on the basketball court. I hope Amarri wasn't that good in hoops... because if he is, RMC is looking like a dumbass.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

perhaps he isn't THAT good of a player? he played college ball at HCC...  if he was big east caliber, i think mac would take him.    Maybe he is good, maybe he isn't.  Just because he plays hoops doesn't make him worthy to be on the team.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Two sports takes a ton of time.  Amarri was at a JUCO for a reason.  I'd rather him concentrate on his academics.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

Stupid move Mac

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

Thought this thread was primarily about Nicholas...leave it to Sheriff to somehow bring Mac and Seth into the conversation.

Would hate to see Nicholas leave early. Hope he learns from what we expect Andre Hall to do by staying that one last year: Improve his stock. We do not need any defections from our defense, we can't afford them on that side of the ball.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Stupid move Mac

Oh thats right, i forget, we don't have a gazillion wing type players already.

We need big guys, not jimmy baxter clones.  We have enough 6'4-6'7 guys on the roster.  There is no room for someone else.

Guest S.  Bien

Also, there is a huge difference from wanting to play for the team, and actually playing for the team.  Many football players have wanted to compete and try-out for Mac, and Seth, but few are better than what's already in-place.

Just because you played the game in HS, or JC, and are a decent athlete doesn't mean you can be competitive at the elite college level.  Particularly when you could just be a head-ache or distraction for the coach.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

What round will Nicholas go if he leaves early? Not in the top three I would say. He needs to stay for his Sr. year if he does he should be drafted in the first two rounds.