• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Even UAB is getting a stadium...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

16 hours ago, BrassBulls12 said:

When I was getting my masters I spoke with Peter Roby (google him if you must) about the UAB program seeing how he himself went through shutting down the Northeastern football program. He flat out stated that the reason they shut it down was to wake our their boosters and that when that happened their backing for football related things would spike. He also made loose prediction about their facilities getting a boost because of it. We can follow that method if you want, but I don’t think the people of Tampa will care much as the people in Birmingham do 

I think the the shut down of the UAB program had more to due with the University of Alabama trustees who had some old scores to settle.  Even so, it seems the results are the same as you mentioned about waking up the boosters. 

Edited by Mission9
To add final sentence.

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

Congratulations UAB. 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

19 minutes ago, Mission9 said:

I think the the shut down of the UAB program had more to due with the University of Alabama trustees who had some old scores to settle.  

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/uab-football-canceled-president-says-sport-not-sustainable/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/cusa/2017/06/28/football-returns-uab-blazers/437009001/

There is reason to believe the Trustees were working boost the Tide as the expense of the Blazers or that the trustees were against athletics but, according to UAB it had to do with having to operate at a deficit and not being able to build facilities and needing the community to buy in. 

"The fiscal realities we face — both from an operating and a capital investment standpoint — are starker than ever and demand that we take decisive action for the greater good of the athletic department and UAB," UAB president Ray Watts said. "As we look at the evolving landscape of NCAA football, we see expenses only continuing to increase. When considering a model that best protects the financial future and prominence of the athletic department, football is simply not sustainable."- CBS

"Seeing an opportunity to help resurrect the program, Craft stood in front of six of the city’s biggest business leaders at a key breakfast meeting in May of 2015. Though they weren't UAB fans or boosters, Craft showed them that UAB’s enrollment had ticked down since the announcement and sold them on what a revitalized football program could do for the school, thus having an economic impact on the city.

“It was a matter of showing people with the right investment, UAB is positioned to be a great mid-major program and can become a national program,” Craft said. “That was what we sold and when the money was put forward, it was really a convincing argument. Within a month, we'd raised several million dollars.”

That amount blossomed to $21 million in 18 months, most of it in chunks of less than $1 million, validating Clark’s decision to go back to UAB, but only “if we bring it back the right way.” 

Without Clark’s involvement, though, that momentum may never have carried very far".- USA Today

You can believe anything you want to.  I know the history and the truth. I am not the only one. 

I am not anywhere near a fan of that program .  I would rather that they fail on their own and not because of old grudges from Bear Bryant Jr. and Co. 

Edited by Mission9

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

2 minutes ago, Mission9 said:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/9/1/16175568/uab-football-canceled-return-timeline-2017-season

I also seem to remember Tim Brando discussing the issue on his radio show. 

I read that article but if i'm not in the meetings i'm not gonna assume the decisions made were a  conspiracy against UBA football. Not saying theres nothing fishy here but, When you look into a lot of those article that SB  references here, They're mostly about money.   I'm sorry but even in Alabama, money will talk louder than the ghost of bear Bryant. 

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,357
  • Days Won:  5

If Lee Roy was here this would have been done already-just saying.  If any of you want to see how a real feasible stadium looks check out Troy's stadium. Simple, stately, -looks real nice too.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,357
  • Days Won:  5

Lee Roy would have done what UAB's guy did and gotten it done.  We have no face in the community.  Nobody to go to bat for USF.

• Upvote 2