• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

VA Tech basketball board

Guest Harvey Jones

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

I don't know or care either way, but I am the kind of guy who likes to look at both sides and who doesn't like to look like an idiot.  What if he somehow figures it out at VATech?  What if he consistently finishes in the middle of the pack of the ACC for a few years, makes the tourny and wins a couple games.

I think Seth is a decent coach - given the right situation. People paint him as a complete failure because he didn't get it done at USF but I think he has the tools to succeed in the right venue.

USF is a tough gig for any coach - some of the digs the VT fans made are pretty much right-on, no matter how much we USF fans want to sugar-coat things this is a school with no tradition in a non-traditional basketball state. Seth has said in the past that USF is a mid-major school in a high-major conference which I think is a fairly accurate description. Other than BB and Altron the talent level was never sufficient to succeed in the high-level conferences like CUSA or the Big East. No matter how you slice it, the blue-chip guys aren't exactly beating down the doors to play at the Sun Dome. I actually think Seth was able to get more talent than ever on campus.

I remember when Seth first came to Tampa. Some Long Beach State fans came on the old USFBulls.com board and said point-blank that Seth would be using USF as a stepping-stone job and most people didn't seem to have a problem with that.

And don't call me a Seth apologist just because I see things the way they are - anybody that tries to label me as such is just trying to sugar-coat what USF really is. There is nothing wrong with that, you have to start somewhere and build from the ground up. There are no shortcuts.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

VAtech is barely out of basement of big east

it will be harder in ACC  to advance in basketball

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Loving Greenberg in Hokie-land! They said if he was there last year they would have made the Big East tourney... way to represent USF Coach! You left here over .500, and you got them almost there already! Coach Greenberg is the man!

The Sheriff

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,828
  • Days Won:  22

He did a great job getting us to .500  but couldnt get pass that.Question is can he get VT to the next level (past .500). He is gone so good luck to him.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  266
  • Days Won:  0

The problem with SG getting USF to .500, is that was a step down from a couple of years before his arrival.   I for one think the program will be much better off with Coach Mac.  This years team (with only a few players of division I abilities) are shooting a higher free throw percentage and play a more sound defense.  Plus the fact they never give up has me seeing a bright future.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Don't forget, that with the exception of one game this year, we have shown the ability to protect a late lead.  Granted, we haven't had many, but we also haven't had collapses of monumental proportion as we did in the years leading up to Mac's arrival.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Which game Brad... FAU or FIU? I know we beat two storied Florida programs this year... At least we beat one team that has over a .500% winning percentage... VALPO...

The Sheriff

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

The game I am referring to was Houston.  Other than that game, when we have held a late lead (however rare) we held it down the stretch.  You memory is weak if you do not recall the number of games under our previous coach that we would go into a 7 minute funk and watch a lead evaporate - almost routinely.

USF Loses Late Lead at Houston

Houston — USF has struggled in many areas throughout the season but had been perfect in protecting late leads. But the Bulls, 6-0 when leading with 5:00 remaining, struggled offensively in the closing minutes and Houston escaped with a 53-52 win Saturday night at Hofheinz Pavilion.

http://gobulls.usf.edu/Sports/news.asp?i=474

SGs first year at the Bulls' helm ended with an 8-19 (2-12 C-USA).  His overall record you celebrate was 108-100.  Very unremarkable.

You'll need to retain some objectivity or no one will take your SG posts seriously  ::Love Fest::.  

SG did some good things here - and he failed to do other things.  To try to hold CoachMcC in comparison to SG after 7 years is a laugh.  Or to compare the two in their current situations, just doesn't make sense.  Don't forget, your alma mater did not rid itself of SG, they gave SG a contract extension.  SG left on his own with time remaining on his contract.  He subsequently bad-mouthed USF.  

Therefore, no number of pro-SG posts is going to cause even the slightest bit of remorse by USF fans.  Most are willing to see what McC can do over the next few years as USF will meet its biggest basketball challenge ever - the Big East.

You never liked it when SG was compared to his predecesor - Bobby Paschal.  BP not only won a conference championship, appeared in two NCAA Tournaments, but he almost kicked your ass in a brawl   ::knighted:.

Close the chapter on SG...

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

If the tables were turned and RMC was having even a modicum of success and Seth were the one struggling, we would never hear the end of it.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

If the tables were turned and RMC was having even a modicum of success and Seth were the one struggling, we would never hear the end of it.

I don't quite get your point.  That would be standard fan mode of operation if that happened.  It would be a God given right to bad mouth the ex-coach that moved on & bad mouthed our fine institute of education.  BTW, if CRM  finishes 7-20 and Greenburg being 8-19 in his 1st yr @USF, I'd have to say CRM did more with less vs. a tuffer CUSA schedule.  This is probably a top 3 yr for CUSA in regards to teams heading to post season play.