• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Two Lineman, One Recruit Won’t Report to USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

From the St. Pete Times

USF loses two linemen

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published July 13, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Antonio Searcy and freshman Marten Toewe, projected as top backups on USF's offensive line this fall, have left the team, the Bulls announced Tuesday.

Searcy, a defensive tackle who switched to offensive guard during spring drills, will not enroll due to academic problems, while Toewe, a 6-foot-7, 310-pound tackle from Germany, is expected to transfer to a smaller school.

USF has had 20 scholarship football players from last year's fall roster leave the program before their eligibility expired. Searcy's departure means the Bulls likely will have first-year starters at both tackle positions.

USF unveiled its fall roster, with 15 walk-ons, including linebacker Treco Bellamy, a 6-foot-3, 225-pound sophomore from Monticello who was an all-conference selection last fall at Reedley College in California. Reedley coach Michael White said Bellamy, a cousin and former high school teammate of USF quarterback Carlton Hill, will be put on scholarship in January.

Kane Hannaford, a 345-pound offensive lineman who said in April he would transfer to USF, is not listed on the roster but said he plans on joining the team as a walk-on this fall. Hannaford, who redshirted as a freshman at Kentucky last fall, is finishing summer classes at Manatee Community College.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

Good read i had forgotten about Hanaford. We certaintly need more big guys on the lines

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

That was my first thought.......that would be huge. The kid is a great athlete and could see the field as a freshman. Our WR corp has to be the deepest position on the team.....lots of athleticism and talent!

If it really pans out this way, 20 out of 23 players reporting is pretty **** good. If Jerome reports then that is 21 out of 23 with only one loss due to grades.

Especially when you consider that Spires was offered the opportunity to be a late enrollee, but he was worried about getting his test scores high enough by that time.  The coaches got him talking to JC's, and he'll be the LB replacing Gene Coleman at his ole CC in MS.

Jerome seems like a definite to report the scholarship is waiting he just needs to heal.  

Ismael is good to get.  This incoming class may finally bring an athlete that allows us to get that return game going again like we had with D-rube, and Reed.  Grant, Hester, Johnson, Plancher, and Randolph were all excellent return men in HS, and all have speed and are shifty.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

toewe was a feel good story

o-line d-line what shape  are we in, do we have REAL depth?

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  709

Especially when you consider that Spires was offered the opportunity to be a late enrollee, but he was worried about getting his test scores high enough by that time.  The coaches got him talking to JC's, and he'll be the LB replacing Gene Coleman at his ole CC in MS.

Jerome seems like a definite to report the scholarship is waiting he just needs to heal.  

Ismael is huge, but this incoming class my finally bring an athlete that allows us to get that return game going again like we had with D-rube, and Reed.  Grant, Hester, Johnson, Plancher, and Randolph were all excellent return men in HS, and all have great speed and are shifty.

The mods can delete this post if they want to.

I just want to make sure Steve tells everyone about how he was wrong about Searcy when he mentions how "great" he is at scouting HS talent.

You said Narsesian was an obvious bust (jury still out but leaning your way) but you also said this guy was a stud.   ::)

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

The mods can delete this post if they want to.

I just want to make sure Steve tells everyone about how he was wrong about Searcy when he mentions how "great" he is at scouting HS talent.

You said Narsesian was an obvious bust (jury still out but leaning your way) but you also said this guy was a stud.   ::)

I don't recall saying Searcy was a stud?  I never saw him play but I had seen Narsesian.  I remember UCF fans talking about JC busts and gave Roy Williams, Johnson, and Mascoe as examples.  I did hear that Searcy was a good DT coming out, but....much like Williams, Johnson, and Mascoe it was the grades that got him not the talent.  Searcy wasn't bad player, he played very well on short-yardage DL for us last year, and was lauded by the staff as an OG after moving in the winter.  Sounds like a pretty good athlete to me.

However, much like UCF's JC phenoms it was the grades that got him.  This is why i always said transfers are a hit or miss proposition, including the JC's.  I think Searcy has a lot of talent, just as much as I thought Mascoe did, but that doesn't mask the fact they went to JC's for a reason.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

wait, i fail to understand how a broken leg makes you unable to take advantage of a free education.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

Hannaford sounds like a freakin' beast!  Can't wait to see this guy.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Hanaford has to sit in 2005.  Right?  W/o seeing his pic, Hanaford's weight concerns me.  It directly correlates to footwork.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  709

I don't recall saying Searcy was a stud?  I never saw him play but I had seen Narsesian.  I remember UCF fans talking about JC busts and gave Roy Williams, Johnson, and Mascoe as examples.  I did hear that Searcy was a good DT coming out, but....much like Williams, Johnson, and Mascoe it was the grades that got him not the talent.  Searcy wasn't bad player, he played very well on short-yardage DL for us last year, and was lauded by the staff as an OG after moving in the winter.  Sounds like a pretty good athlete to me.

However, much like UCF's JC phenoms it was the grades that got him.  This is why i always said transfers are a hit or miss proposition, including the JC's.  I think Searcy has a lot of talent, just as much as I thought Mascoe did, but that doesn't mask the fact they went to JC's for a reason.

I too don't like transfers.  I knew there are a few examples of them working out but mostly they don't.

Demarcus Johnson actually did VERY well for UCF.  The others were nothing.

Besides, my whole point is you have a 50-50 chance of being correct on each recruit.  You only like to talk about the ones that you are correct on.  But that is a discussion for another board!  ;)