• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Week 7 Games of Interest

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Just now, bullsfan1983 said:

Don't know if they would ever do that. Back in the days of the BCS you were guaranteed a spot as a G5 with a certain BCS ranking. Hence we saw TCU and Boise State get in and were forced to play each other rather than a traditional power. I think that the only way we would see that are 2 top 10 undefeated G5 teams in which case they would probably pit them against one another.

Oh, I agree.  It's probably a 0.00000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of it ever happening.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

1 hour ago, Apis Bull said:

I know it's a small detail, but I researched it, and only G5 conference champs is guaranteed a NY6 day bowl.  Another one, theoretically, could be selected as well.

The issue I have with that is what if we head into the CC game undefeated and get beat by a 3 loss NAVY or Memphis team.  That just seems like a problem, but something that could happen.  

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

1 hour ago, ArmyBull said:

The issue I have with that is what if we head into the CC game undefeated and get beat by a 3 loss NAVY or Memphis team.  That just seems like a problem, but something that could happen.  

I hear ya, but playoffs should only be for conference champs (with maybe a couple of spots for wildcards)

Which is why the conferences should be capped at 9 members (4 home, 4 away, and 4 OOC games)

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

5 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Not sure what you’re saying here, but the bottom line is if we beat them on Black Friday game over we’re playing on New Year’s Day (assuming we win the next week).  Only conference champs can be the group of five representative on New Year’s Day. 

Let me put it this way. Hypothetically, say UCF beats Navy next week and they jump us in the ratings. They'd then stay on top of us until we played, most likely. That's 5 weeks of them being the G5 media darlings that we lost out on. We don't magically just gain all that "best of the G5" perception back after beating them. It's akin to USC having to vacate a national championship. It didn't magically remove their perception of greatness as a program those year(s).

I'd rather they lose to Navy and stay far in our rear view perception wise. We don't need any "help" getting the NY6 game now that SDSU has lost and CFP isn't happening. There's nothing good to come out of an undefeated Black Friday matchup for USF, only the American conference. Besides, no-loss USF vs. 1-loss UCF is still a compelling matchup, it's not like the American is losing much there either.

Edited by The Great 8

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

16 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Let me put it this way. Hypothetically, say UCF beats Navy next week and they jump us in the ratings. They'd then stay on top of us until we played, most likely. That's 5 weeks of them being the G5 media darlings that we lost out on. We don't magically just gain all that "best of the G5" perception back after beating them. It's akin to USC having to vacate a national championship. It didn't magically remove their perception of greatness as a program those year(s).

I'd rather they lose to Navy and stay far in our rear view perception wise. We don't need any "help" getting the NY6 game now that SDSU has lost and CFP isn't happening. There's nothing good to come out of an undefeated Black Friday matchup for USF, only the American conference. Besides, no-loss USF vs. 1-loss UCF is still a compelling matchup, it's not like the American is losing much there either.

Ok, I see what you are saying. That makes sense. UCF may in fact lose one (Navy/SMU).