• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brett hinted at a scoop in the chat, here it is...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

tbologo80x60.jpg

Jun 24, 2005

USF's McCullough Leaves Football Program

By BRETT McMURPHY

bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

TAMPA - University of South Florida sophomore defensive tackle Ramon McCullough has left the program with plans to transfer to another school.

A Daytona Beach Mainland graduate, McCullough is considering a transfer to nearby Division I-AA Bethune- Cookman. McCullough, recruited by Miami, Michigan State and Virginia out of high school, played in five games last season, tying for third on the team with two sacks.

McCullough's departure will hurt the Bulls' depth at a position where they are already thin. In the spring senior Antonio Searcy moved from defensive line to offensive line and backup defensive tackle Curtis Chance was dismissed from the program last month.

HALL, NICHOLAS HONORED: USF senior running back Andre Hall and junior linebacker Stephen Nicholas have been named to several preseason magazines' All-Big East teams.

Hall, who rushed for a school-record 1,357 yards last season, and Nicholas, a 2004 Butkus Award candidate signifying the nation's top linebacker, were named first-team All-Big East by Lindy's, Street & Smith's and The Sporting News and second-team by Athlon.

Other Bulls named to Big East teams: defensive lineman Tim Jones, punt returner Travis Lipp, safety Danny Verpaele and center John Miller (Athlon second team); cornerback D'Juan Brown (Lindy's second team; Athlon third team); wide receiver Johnny Peyton (Lindy's second team, Athlon third team); offensive linemen Chris Carothers and Frank Davis, defensive end Terrence Royal and punter Brandon Baker (Athlon third team).

Story Link

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  60
  • Days Won:  0

WTF, I just saw him a few weeks ago.  Said nothing about transfering; although, I knew he was unhappy.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

what could he be unhappy about?  A free education perhaps?  Playing I-A football?

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

No one ever said playing for Jim was a cakewalk!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Man, this shocked me  :o

It does put a damper on the DT position  :( Didn't know about chance, been outta the loop though  :-[

Well, #50 better step it up. Go E.T. !!!

Goo BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  106

I thought we were completly f""ed at the DT position before Chance and McCullough left.  Now, I don't know what we are going to do.  

:'(

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

Obviously he wasnt going to be a starter and maybe not even 2nd string.

Right now it looks like T Jones,Cray,Clebert have those spots and maybe E.Thomas got moved in also.

Too bad  this was a kid highly recruited that has not developed

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

He was only a soph last year and did have two sacks on a team that rarely put ANY pressure on a QB.  We're losing an experienced player at a key position.  This frigging hurts.  What next?

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

Lets not go over board, he played in FIVE games and had FOUR tackles and was NOT expected to be a starter thats why he left

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  162

Lets not go over board, he played in FIVE games and had FOUR tackles and was NOT expected to be a starter thats why he left

I doubt anyone really knows why he left, just speculation.  Sounds like USF didn't lose a starter, but just takes a hit at depth in the DT position.  Injuries are always a concern, and also having players familiar with the system to push competition is also an issue.