• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

You've got to ask yourself

14 hours ago, Bulls On Parade said:

If this was the first game I would be really worried but we saw it opened up some in the first game so we know the plays are in the system they just didn't call them much for whatever reason.   

He didn't call them because he didn't have to.

I am agreeing with @Bulls On Parade here... Gilbert used these first two games much the same way the NFL uses actual pre-season games.  Trying things... testing things out... seeing what works.  In the end, the team did what it needed to do.

U Conn will be similar, and we are going to be really frustrated again... Holy Cross was more of a passing team, getting 350+ yards through the air.  But that was playcalling not defense... 56 pass attempts versus 26 carries.  Gilbert will test the Huskies run defense... and we are going the scream at the TVs... but it's clear when we need to, USF should be able to pass the ball.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  356
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, JimUSFSig said:

He didn't call them because he didn't have to.

I am agreeing with @Bulls On Parade here... Gilbert used these first two games much the same way the NFL uses actual pre-season games.  Trying things... testing things out... seeing what works.  In the end, the team did what it needed to do.

Let's not kid ourselves here.  Just a couple of days ago, we had an FCS team, deep in the 4th quarter, driving on us to tie the game.  It took an interception by our DEFENSE to seal the game.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, NJUSFBULL said:

Let's not kid ourselves here.  Just a couple of days ago, we had an FCS team, deep in the 4th quarter, driving on us to tie the game.  It took an interception by our DEFENSE to seal the game.  

That's not what it "took" ... that is just what happened.  But isn't that what you want anyway? The defense making a stop when it needs to make a stop?

Oh, I get it... you didn't want them to "need" to make that stop.  I saw it as a teachable moment... and the coaches really never stopped coaching.

The outcome of the game was never REALLY in doubt... at least in my mind.

I could be wrong, but I believe the coaches were really underplaying these first two games... because they could.  USF's 2nd string could have won these games.

U Conn will be the same way... the offense and defense are going to do what they have to do, but not a heck of a lot more.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

7 minutes ago, JimUSFSig said:

That's not what it "took" ... that is just what happened.  But isn't that what you want anyway? The defense making a stop when it needs to make a stop?

Oh, I get it... you didn't want them to "need" to make that stop.  I saw it as a teachable moment... and the coaches really never stopped coaching.

The outcome of the game was never REALLY in doubt... at least in my mind.

I could be wrong, but I believe the coaches were really underplaying these first two games... because they could.  USF's 2nd string could have won these games.

U Conn will be the same way... the offense and defense are going to do what they have to do, but not a heck of a lot more.

yikes

you think they wanted to be in a tie game against a 1-aa team into the 4th quarter?

you really think they want that game to potentially be decided by a bad bounce?

wow. these are the wrong coaches if they are going to let gimme games get decided in the 4th quarter on purpose.

here I thought it might be good to get the young guys reps in a blowout but you think they are keeping these games close late to teach something?

Edited by Bull94
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

yikes

you think they wanted to be in a tie game against a 1-aa team into the 4th quarter?

wow. these are the wrong coaches if they are going to let gimme games get decided in the 4th quarter on purpose.

I think the coaches approached the game wanting to do some different things... players failed to execute a lot (especially Flowers)... which is why it was close.

I do not think the coaches WANTED a close game going in... but once in a close game, the coaches weren't really panicking... they knew they could flex their muscles and win the game... they just wanted to see what else they could do.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  356
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, JimUSFSig said:

Why would the coaches "underplay" the first two games? This isn't pro football, all games count!  We are the #19 team in the country.  By some polls, our first nine opponents are not in the top 100.  Where is the benefit of squeaking by with a W, but we kept our playbook a secret?  Why not use all our plays in the first two games so that our offense is a well oiled machine by conference play?

My point on this whole topic is that I do not think Gilbert is "underplaying" or not opening up the playbook.  I think we have seen the playbook and it is a power run offense.  My only hope is that Gilbert has now learned that it will not work and make the needed adjustment, much like CWT finally did.

That being said, I do think we put 50 on UCONN and win by 21! 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

23 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

yikes

here I thought it might be good to get the young guys reps in a blowout but you think they are keeping these games close late to teach something?

That wasnt the plan..Gilbert thought maybe this simple plan would still get them a big win but it didnt go as planned.  Hopefully he learned keep it open and we can put up points...if you want to go power atleast wait till later in second half.

25 minutes ago, JimUSFSig said:

I think the coaches approached the game wanting to do some different things... players failed to execute a lot (especially Flowers)... which is why it was close.

I do not think the coaches WANTED a close game going in... but once in a close game, the coaches weren't really panicking... they knew they could flex their muscles and win the game... they just wanted to see what else they could do.

sorry but even if Flowers completed those 3 yard hitches we would still be in a close game. they didn't try to attack downfield at all

they were running into the teeth of that defense all game. safeties were playing in the box and they had two all conference d-linemen plus 4 others who had started before on their d-line and yet we thought we would just run power into that.

Edited by Bull94

21 minutes ago, NJUSFBULL said:

Why would the coaches "underplay" the first two games? This isn't pro football, all games count!  We are the #19 team in the country.  By some polls, our first nine opponents are not in the top 100.  Where is the benefit of squeaking by with a W, but we kept our playbook a secret?  Why not use all our plays in the first two games so that our offense is a well oiled machine by conference play?

My point on this whole topic is that I do not think Gilbert is "underplaying" or not opening up the playbook.  I think we have seen the playbook and it is a power run offense.  My only hope is that Gilbert has now learned that it will not work and make the needed adjustment, much like CWT finally did.

exactly

why wouldn't you want to have your offense humming on all cylinders coming into conference play

get some much needed reps for the young guys

23 minutes ago, NJUSFBULL said:

Coaches underplay early in the season to keep from putting things on film that our opponents could use against us.