• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

usf snubbed by devil rays

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594
  • Days Won:  0

The Rays might be the worst-run franchise in major sports HISTORY.

However, they are (as far as I know) the only major league baseball team that offers $1 beers on every Friday night. Combine that with the $3 tickets and it creates great value.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  167

The Rays, like so many other than a handful of big money teams, can't compete salary-wise. That leads to the crappy product.

The woefully under-capitalized ownership (and perhaps POORLY managed franchise) are to blame for the rest of this garbage we are seeing from the team.

I believe/hope new owner(s) will step in and make some significant improvements in team makeup. Going to Tropicana isn't a totally crappy time-- but it certainly lacks a certain look and feel. The stadium (build it and they will come) is so far behind the times of other parks that were built shortly afterwards. And if they haven't figured this out yet-- LOCATION is a key element of drawing crowds. St. Pete can't cut it imo. It's not impossible to get to a game but it sure could be closer to the target market and NOT the hood/senior citizens that surround that area.

I'm a White Sox fan first. I also consider myself a Rays fan. But baseball does not need a new "luvable loser"-- they have the Cubs for that.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

As soon as someone comes along and spends money, the Rays will turn it around just like the Bucs.  

That should read:  As soon as someone comes along and spends money and can dupe or extort the good people of Hillsborough County into providing a new stadium, the Rays will turn it around just like the Bucs.  

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

Why can't we dupe or extort the good people of Hillsborough County to build us a football stadium? We could threaten to pack up the whole University and move to Daytona Beach or something.

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Why can't we dupe or extort the good people of Hillsborough County to build us a football stadium? We could threaten to pack up the whole University and move to Daytona Beach or something.
 hehehe, hmmm UEF.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

You joke, but I guarantee you, that if colleges could, they would.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

by the way, i think the DRO dropped the ball in not trying to persuade the Cardinals to wear old-school USF uniforms. After all, LaRussa is an alumnus. In fact, the combination of UTampa's Lou, USF's Tony, and a game played in St. Pete is quite the coincidence.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

I caught part of the game on Sunshine. They were in fact U of Tampa jerseys, according to the broadcast team.

And powder-blue 80s road uniforms are sweet.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

exactly, the team cares about winning.  and if there is any punk on the team that doesn't and is only here to get ABs, cough cough alex sanchez, they should be gone.

There are plenty of players who are just along for the ride. When I think about guys like Vinnie Cash-steala or some of these high-priced, druggie draft picks the Rays are dealing with it makes my stomach turn. There are guys like Castilla who figure they're going to be part of a team on the rise, and it's demoralizing to be part of an organization that doesn't care about winning. I really feel for guys like Lou Piniella who actually want to win, and were duped into signing with Tampa Bay under what has turned out to be the false pretense of an improving organization.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

lou took job for money and for being close to his ailing father

he never thought he would win in tampa