• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF-UM in 2006?

Guest S.  Bien

Opps, I am not logged in so I couldn't correc but make that 4 out-of-conference teams they can start playing with the new 12 game schedule starting in 2006.  That means they need to add at least 2 opponents for quite a few years.  

I still believe USF will squeeze our way in there, particularly with Doug Woolard at the helm.  He's too well respected for someone to try and bait-and-switch him.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I still believe USF will squeeze our way in there, particularly with Doug Woolard at the helm.  He's too well respected for someone to try and bait-and-switch him.

Exactly. Even if Miami adds the proposed games in 2006 and 2007 they would still have an open date in each year.

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

What's gonna happen is, We're gonna whoop their booties so bad, they're not gonna wanna come back for another stomping.  NAH!

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Opps, I am not logged in so I couldn't correc but make that 4 out-of-conference teams they can start playing with the new 12 game schedule starting in 2006.  That means they need to add at least 2 opponents for quite a few years.  

Bait and switch would be surprising considering that the first person Jim Leavitt received a phone call from when USF beat Pitt was Larry Coker. Considering their friendship I doubt Miami is going to try and screw us with an out right lie.

We have to remember that nobody from Miami or USF has said that the return game would take place in 2006. Only the press has alluded toward the return game taking place next year b/c it makes the most sense.

Let's see what happens before we lose too much sleep over this right now.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Bait and switch would be surprising considering that the first person Jim Leavitt received a phone call from when USF beat Pitt was Larry Coker. Considering their friendship I doubt Miami is going to try and screw us with an out right lie.

We have to remember that nobody from Miami or USF has said that the return game would take place in 2006. Only the press has alluded toward the return game taking place next year b/c it makes the most sense.

Let's see what happens before we lose too much sleep over this right now.

Correct...Miami nor USF have given a hint that the game would be played in 2006 (Miami already has 5 road games schedule that year).

Some in the media just "assumed" that if the 12th game was approved for 2006...then that would be the year for the game in Tampa...without realizing what other teams/games Miami was looking at as well in the future.

Here's what Greg wrote when this game was announced:

Bulls schedule series with 'Canes; [sOUTH PINELLAS Edition]

GREG AUMAN. St. Petersburg Times. St. Petersburg, Fla.: Dec 24, 2004. pg. 1.C

Full Text (621   words)

Copyright Times Publishing Co. Dec 24, 2004

For years, USF's young football team hasn't been able to measure its steady progress against the state's big three programs. The Bulls get their first shot next fall.

USF announced the final and biggest piece of its 2005 schedule Thursday, landing an impressive home-and-home series with Miami, starting with a trip to Miami in October.

"It's pretty aggressive," coach Jim Leavitt said of a schedule that not only features USF's first year in the Big East, but a season-opening road trip to Penn State as well. "The Big East is challenging enough by itself, but our schedule has really jumped incredibly strong. Hopefully, we'll be able to recruit well."

As part of the contract, the Hurricanes will make a trip to Raymond James Stadium, giving the Bulls arguably their biggest home game ever. The date will be set after the NCAA votes next month on whether to add a 12th game to schedules beginning in 2006.

"It's really important that it's a one-for-one. We wouldn't have considered it otherwise," Leavitt said. "I don't know how anyone could ask for a more exciting challenge than adding Miami, one of the best programs in the country, to a schedule that is already as challenging as our 2005 schedule will be."

And as the Bulls prepare to shift to facing Big East teams that are geographically distant from its fan base, the schedule reflects a new commitment to building in-state rivalries.

After playing just one Florida opponent in its first eight seasons, USF will have three next season, with home games against Florida A&M (Sept. 10) and Central Florida (Sept. 17) and the trip to Miami, which will be Oct. 1. The Bulls also are scheduled to play at Florida in 2008 and '09, and USF athletic director Doug Woolard said creating strong local rivalries has been a priority for him.

"I think sometimes people have gotten away from those things, but they have proven to create a great interest for fans," Woolard said. "This is going to be one of those. It adds credibility to our football program that we're able to schedule on a home-and-home basis a team like Miami."

Miami, which left the Big East to join the Atlantic Coast Conference this season, expressed the same desire to build a rivalry with the Bulls.

"The Bulls have developed into a very good football program in a very short period of time," Miami athletic director Paul Dee said.

USF played its first game in 1997, moving up to Division I football four years later. The Bulls played the past two seasons as a member of Conference USA and now face seven games each season against their new Big East rivals. USF is coming off a disappointing 4-7 season, its first losing record since going 5-6 in its inaugural season, but Leavitt has a 55-33 record as USF's only coach.

Landing Miami on the schedule could help the Bulls in recruiting, especially in the greater Miami area. USF's 2004 roster had 10 players from Miami, four from Fort Lauderdale and four from the surrounding area, and the Bulls continue to recruit the southern part of the state aggressively.

The Bulls have played non-conference games against high-profile programs such as Oklahoma and Alabama before, but nearly always without a home game in return. That may be the most significant change with the addition of Miami to a future home schedule.

If the NCAA approves the addition of a 12th game, the Hurricanes would logically be coming to Raymond James Stadium in 2006, but without the extra game, the return trip would be in 2007 at the earliest. Miami is already committed to five road games in 2006.

• Content Count:  4,517

According to one of the papers this morning, Miami won't be coming here until 2008 at the earliest. I searched the online editions but couldn't find it. Maybe someone more adept can ......... Howie?   ;)

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

According to one of the papers this morning, Miami won't be coming here until 2008 at the earliest. I searched the online editions but couldn't find it. Maybe someone more adept can ......... Howie?   ;)

Here it is from the SPT [sOUTH PINELLAS Edition]

ANTONYA ENGLISH. St. Petersburg Times. St. Petersburg, Fla.: Jun 22, 2005. pg. 2.C

Football: USF must wait

to host Hurricanes

USF opens a home-and-home series at Miami on Oct. 1, but it probably will have to wait until at least 2008 for the Hurricanes to come to Raymond James Stadium.

Miami athletic director Paul Dee said he is close to finalizing a game with Florida A&M that will complete his 2006 schedule and is in similar negotiations to fill his last 2007 slots. So barring any last-minute complications, Miami won't be coming to Tampa for at least three years.

"It's probably somewhere between '08 and '10," said Dee, who has been in discussions with USF athletic director Doug Woolard to find a date ideal for both schools.

Times staff writer Greg Auman contributed to this report, which also used information from the Associated Press.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/857334611.html?MAC=41ed5aeae317a7ac033d50cd16ecf512&did=857334611&FMT=FT&FMTS=FT&date=Jun+22%2C+2005&author=ANTONYA+ENGLISH&printformat=&desc=Gators+guard+to+stay+in+draft%2C+coach+says

• Content Count:  4,517

Here it is from the SPT [sOUTH PINELLAS Edition]

ANTONYA ENGLISH. St. Petersburg Times. St. Petersburg, Fla.: Jun 22, 2005. pg. 2.C

Football: USF must wait

to host Hurricanes

USF opens a home-and-home series at Miami on Oct. 1, but it probably will have to wait until at least 2008 for the Hurricanes to come to Raymond James Stadium.

Miami athletic director Paul Dee said he is close to finalizing a game with Florida A&M that will complete his 2006 schedule and is in similar negotiations to fill his last 2007 slots. So barring any last-minute complications, Miami won't be coming to Tampa for at least three years.

"It's probably somewhere between '08 and '10," said Dee, who has been in discussions with USF athletic director Doug Woolard to find a date ideal for both schools.

Times staff writer Greg Auman contributed to this report, which also used information from the Associated Press.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/857334611.html?MAC=41ed5aeae317a7ac033d50cd16ecf512&did=857334611&FMT=FT&FMTS=FT&date=Jun+22%2C+2005&author=ANTONYA+ENGLISH&printformat=&desc=Gators+guard+to+stay+in+draft%2C+coach+says

You da man, Howie. Not sure what's up with the SOUTH PINELLAS Edition thing, though.