• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gigi Fernandez Resigns

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

how does the record look broken down season by season, leading up to and through her time here? That should give a good picture of how successful she was. If she took over a losing team and proceeded to improve year by year ending up with the first winning season I'd say that would be a sign of success.

Of course the reverse would indicate failure as well but you can't just make a judgement based on the final numbers IMO

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

Your right i dont get it.....just cant wait for Footbull season to start so we arent talking women's tennis i guess

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

but the post remains

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

This story explains her decision:

Coaching At College Level Not For Gigi

By EDUARDO A. ENCINA eencina@tampatrib.com

Published: Jun 21, 2005

TAMPA - Even though Gigi Fernandez managed to resurrect the USF women's tennis program in her three years as head coach, the former Grand Slam champion left the job two weeks ago realizing one thing.

She wasn't made out to be a college head coach.

Fernandez, who owns 17 Grand Slam doubles championships, resigned her position June 9, saying she grew tired of the administrative work the job involved.

``I really enjoyed working with the girls and being a coach and teaching,'' Fernandez said. ``But I didn't like everything else that went with it, all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes. The NCAA has too many rules. About 70 percent of the work I did as coach wasn't on the tennis court.''

The Bulls won their first four matches of the spring season, then struggled to battle injuries, losing seven of their final 10 dual matches. But USF had an impressive showing in the Conference USA tournament, placing third with wins over Saint Louis, Louisville and Houston. USF finished the season 10-8.

Fernandez managed to draw international recruits to USF. Sophomore Neyssa Etienne (Haiti) earned a berth in the NCAA singles tournament and also teamed with fellow sophomore Gabriela Duch (Mexico) in the doubles draw. Combined with freshmen Courtney Vernon and Liz Cruz, Fernandez had a young team returning next season. Still, she said she will return as a volunteer assistant.

``This way I'll be able to spend pretty much the same about on time on the tennis court and won't have to do all the other things,'' Fernandez said. ``Three years has seemed like an eternity, but I think I'm leaving the program in a great place.''

It's clear that Fernandez wanted to coach on her own terms. Now she will focus more on coaching WTA veterans Lisa Raymond and Rennae Stubbs, who own 48 and 44 career doubles titles respectively. She also plans to help develop up-and-coming junior players from her native Puerto Rico.

Now, she hopes to do things her own way. She has a real estate venture on the side and hopes to add a tennis court onto her South Tampa home where she can give private lessons.

But Fernandez, who is now in England at Wimbledon, made it clear. She has no interest in becoming a college coach again.

``I've done it and I've seen what it is and I know I don't want it,'' Fernandez said. ``Someone could come up and offer me $200,000 and I'd turn it down.''

http://www.tampatrib.com/Sports/MGBNZ8BE7AE.html

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

GOOD GOD not this post again