• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

RJ Anderson mulls future over...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Yea but he's bound to buy a $350K-$500K home at the minimum so that $3.25 MM is ambiguous but he will have the house's equity.  House's value may even increase at a better rate than the investment fund.  You are right though,  I didn't realize he'd garner a $200K-$250K bonus.  I think I'd reverse my stance for that reason.  Take the money, play minor league ball for 4 yrs.  If you aren't sniffing the MLB, go play college football.  Gawd, I don't think I can truly fathom having to make that decision as an 18 yr. old recent HS graduate. Wow!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Yea but he's bound to buy a $350K-$500K home at the minimum so that $3.25 MM is ambiguous but he will have the house's equity.  House's value may even increase at a better rate than the investment fund.  You are right though,  I didn't realize he'd garner a $200MM-$250MM bonus.  I think I'd reverse my stance for that reason.  Take the money, play minor league ball for 4 yrs.  If you aren't sniffing the MLB, go play college football.  Gawd, I don't think I can truly fathom having to make that decision as an 18 yr. old recent HS graduate. Wow!

Somehow I don't think he'll be getting a "200mm-250mm" signing bonus.  250 milion??  He'll be lucky to get a 150k signing bonus if he's getting signed to an A Ball contract.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Somehow I don't think he'll be getting a "200mm-250mm" signing bonus.  250 milion??  He'll be lucky to get a 150k signing bonus if he's getting signed to an A Ball contract.

I meant "K" not "MM".  I corrected it above.  $200 Million bonus is a no brainer  ::).

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

first... fscmoc....  Anderson may be fast, but comparing him to Justin Upton is asinine.  Upton is a shortstop, for now, and built like AROD.  Upton may not be AS fast as him, but he isnt far behind and his other skills trump him hands down.  Speed is one factor in the decision process, but there are many other things... hitting for average, power, fielding, throwing, etc are all equally if not more important than raw speed.  

As for his signing bonus, 200-250k is probably his best case scenario and that might even be extreme.  And whoever brought up how much that could accrue to until he was 60 is forgetting one HUGE thing, he will spend most of that bonus, if not all, in a year!    

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

At this point in my life, I'd gladly take the college life over the $...unless it was signficantly substantial to set me up "forever".  College was fun...life is just that.  I would have hated to miss out on my collegiate experiences.  There's time to make money later!  The mind and body only improve between 18 and 22!  Go to college, kid, at least for a couple years.  Thank me later.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

I'm sure the Rangers researched RJ's situation fully. The 9th round isn't a "draft and follow" round; you want to sign the kids you pick. They know that he has options to go to college, and that he will probably require a larger signing bonus.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17

USFBull83-I guess you missed my point.  I don't believe I

stated that Anderson was equal in talent to Upton. I compared the running speed, of which, Anderson has has been clocked faster. I made the point that there must have been other skills that were "lacking" that allowed him to drop as low as he did in the draft.

BTW I can compare apples to oranges if I want to as long as I show the differences ;). Not having seen Anderson play(I have seen Upton in person) I was posing a question as to where the differences might be.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

I did some research yesterday on 10th round picks...there have been picks in the 10th round that have received signing bonuses in excess of $1,000.000.  That is substantial for a kid coming out of high school and could easily sway him.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037

I did some research yesterday on 10th round picks...there have been picks in the 10th round that have received signing bonuses in excess of $1,000.000.  That is substantial for a kid coming out of high school and could easily sway him.

$1,000.00 How is that going to sway him we have gone from 250k to 1k I am lost...I dont understand the bball

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

$1,000.00 How is that going to sway him we have gone from 250k to 1k I am lost...I dont understand the bball

I think he meant $1,000,000.00