• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF bought out their 2006 UGa game.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Cuban's facts seem to supersede Smazza's rhetoric.  i guess that's why smazza is afraid to respond...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HowieP1

There will be more teams available for us to schedule:

COLLEGE INSIDER: MIKE HUGUENIN

Playing 'big boys' not for UCF

By Mike Huguenin and Alan Schmadtke | Sentinel Staff Writers

Posted June 5, 2005

Once upon a time, dates with Southeastern Conference and Atlantic Coast Conference opponents were crown jewels on UCF schedules. Former athletic director Steve Sloan viewed landing such opponents as one of his chief roles.

But that was when UCF was a Division I-A independent. And when the Knights had a less-demanding coach.

Now, with the guarantee of eight opponents a year through a conference (starting this season, Conference USA), racking up big-name opponents is less important in the big picture than being able to win games.

Thus, the Golden Knights will buy themselves out of three games in 2006 and another in 2007. Georgia, South Carolina and NC State will drop off the '06 schedule, UCF officials confirmed. And NC State, which was scheduled to come to Orlando in '06, also will have its '07 game bought out.

UCF Athletic Director Steve Orsini informed opponents of the Knights' intentions, ones that come on the heels of UCF buying out of its 2005 return visit to West Virginia.

The moves leave UCF with a full 12-game schedule for 2006 -- for now. It includes a school-record seven home games: C-USA foes Southern Miss, East Carolina, UAB and Rice, plus non-conference opponents USF, Louisiana-Lafayette and Louisiana Tech.

But UCF's contract with Louisiana Tech is so old the payoff is hardly worth the Bulldogs' effort.

They're guaranteed $75,000, and that won't even cover their travel costs. That means it won't be a surprise if or when Tech asks to revisit the contract, given the going rate for road-game guarantees runs no lower than $400,000.

In other words, if UCF balks, Tech could buy its way out of the contract and instead play a power-league school that would give it a lot more money.

-- Alan Schmadtke

I guess UCF is going the Notre Dame route and looking for easier schedules.  Rather funny, given the regular bragging by UCF fans that they play such tough schedules year in, year out.  Now they're going for the low end of the totem pole for OOC games, with the exception of playing their self proclaimed rivals that is.

Maybe we can get a home and home with NC State, since they suddenly have that open.  That would plug some holes in our schedule.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  162
  • Days Won:  0

I guess UCF is going the Notre Dame route and looking for easier schedules.  Rather funny, given the regular bragging by UCF fans that they play such tough schedules year in, year out.  Now they're going for the low end of the totem pole for OOC games, with the exception of playing their self proclaimed rivals that is.

A lot of those games were scheduled when UCF was still an independent, and the higher profile games were absolutely needed to help keep fan interest.  With a conference schedule that need is not as high.  I like the idea of playing the high profile teams, but it's tough to go on the road all the time and lose those games.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

My guess is that 0-11 is why! They didn't want to get spanked to bad!

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  289

My guess is conference play reality has set in for UCF.  Bowls are tied in based on conference standings and not based on high quality OOC wins.   I certainly would like to see us take on big name opponents.  However, we've got to get return games.  The NC State series was one I wish we would have kept.  The Georgia series I could care less about.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  16

Show me any conference team, in any conference that starts a year out playing

AT Florida

AT Georgia

AT USC

Just show me one.  

Its hard enough to win a conference title, now use that as your OOC.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

than follow that with home games with vandy,old miss ,  msu and ky.it doesn't seem that bad

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

My guess is conference play reality has set in for UCF.  Bowls are tied in based on conference standings and not based on high quality OOC wins.   I certainly would like to see us take on big name opponents.  However, we've got to get return games.  The NC State series was one I wish we would have kept.  The Georgia series I could care less about.

Actually, Bowls that have contracts with Conferences get "selections"...and do not have to take teams based on "standings".

But yes...winning 2 or even 3 out of 4 non-conf games will look MUCH better on your overall schedule then say going 0-4 or 1-3 in your non-conf schedule.

That's why most Bowls "pick" teams (not including BCS Champ Game) ...vs relying on conf records.

KL