• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF vs. USF - Better WR corps?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  162
  • Days Won:  0

UCF WR and TE:

WR

Blake Carter      6'2"      210      SO

Mike Walker      6'2"      190      JR

Steven Baker      6'3"      210      JR

Javid James      6'3"      190      SO

Brandon Marshall      6'4"      230      SR

Brooks Turner      5'11"      190      JR

Andre Sumpter      6.0"      170      JR

Sergiori Joachim      6'5"      200      SO

Chris Narsesian      6'0"      200      SO

Willie Thornton        5'10"        175          FR

TE

Darcy Johnson      6'5"      255      SR

Mike Merritt      6'3"      260      SO

Antonio Eldemire      6'3"      250      SR

Comments:

UCF's receivers discussion starts with Mike Walker.  He is a legit 6'2" and 190 lbs, and a true NFL caliber WR with respect to route running and natural WR abilities, and with legit 4.5 speed and a vertical leap north of 3 feet.  The other starter is Brandon Marshall, who is just a physical specimen at 6'4" and 230 lbs.  He lacks the fluid ability of Walker with respect to route running, but makes up for that with his overall athletic ability.  Marshall runs a legit 4.6 40 and can jump with the best of them.  Complimenting starters Walker and Marshall is Brooks Turner, who is a complete WR that can play the slot at 5'11" and 190 lbs.  Also in the mix is Sergiori Joachim, who lacks great speed and strength but has great hands and size at 6'5" and 200 lbs with a large wing-span.  The return of Andre Sumpter to the field after a brutal knee injury 2 yrs ago is a big bonus.  He is slight at 6'0' and 170 lbs, but is a natural WR with an understanding of the game having played QB in HS.  He is a great change of direction WR who can make plays.  On the radar screen are preferred walk-ons Willie Thornton, who played HS ball in Miami, and Blake Carter, the nephew of NFL future hall-of-famer Chris Carter.  Thornton is a true speed WR at around 5'10" and 175 lbs and Carter has good size at 6'2" and 210 lbs.  2005 recruit Javid James had a good spring and at 6'3" and 190 lbs is another big target for QB's Moffet and Israel.

This segment overall is the strongest on UCF's team.

USF WR and TE:

I didn't see an updated 2005 roster on the USF official website, but based on what I can remember this is what I came up with:

WR

King, Cedric      Jr.       WR       5-11       170 

Peyton, Johnny      Fr.       WR       6-05       185 

Garris, J.B.      Fr.       WR       6-02       180 

Edwards, Marcus      Fr.       WR       5-11       170 

Lipp, Travis      Jr.       WR       5-11       175 

Joyner, Rod      So.       WR       6-00       175 

Green, S.J.      So.       WR       6-03       200 

Chambers, Jackie      Fr.       WR       5-11       180 

Hearn, Colby      So.       WR       5-10       170 

Cedric Cill            Fr      WR      6-03      220

Darren Haliburton    ?               WR          6-03?         210?

TE

Ruegger, Mike      Jr.      TE      6-02      240

Demesmin, James      Fr.      TE      6-03      245

Bleakley, Will      So.      TE      6-03      230

Carter, Derek      Jr.      TE      6-04      240

Comments:

I know that Jackie Chambers and Johnny Payton are studs, and that the new player Hill is supposed to quite the athlete, but I think that overall, UCF's WR corp is superior.  I don't think there is any question that UCF's TE corp is a better overall receiving unit based primarily on Darcy Johnson.  Merrit and Eldemire both looked great catching the ball this spring as well.

What do the USF faithful think?  

Any comments from other UCF fans?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

It matters not...Julmiste is struggling with the passing game and Moffit can't hit a barn standing still from 15 feet.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  26

Our WRs can hang w/ just about any program.

This Spring, O'Leary was quoted as saying that Moffett has grown up, and that he's actually pleased w/ him. And that's great news in my book, because I don't recall at any point last year O'Leary even remotely insinuating he was happy w/ any of the quarterbacks.

Our problem is going to be pass protection; it's still a young line. But if/when it breaks down, I still don't expect any more backwards running from Steven!

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Not including any incoming freshman in that list?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Better yet, who can rank them all?  Let's not get myopic here with USF/UCF - how do we rate among the DI-A teams in the state?

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

Our WRs can hang w/ just about any program.

c'mon man... this is just stupid

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

It matters not...Julmiste is struggling with the passing game and Moffit can't hit a barn standing still from 15 feet.

It matters not because we can't evaluate our wr's. I saw a brief blurb in Trib that Moffet had a pretty good spring game (or whatever they have).

We may never know how good our wr's are ...

Guest S.  Bien

It would help if you had our actual WR'ing crew.

Expected:

Garris

Peyton

Chambers

Hill

Edwards

Halliburton

Green

Do you need to list walk-ons?  If you're going to talk WR's I think it needs to be based on actual production, and potential.  If you use that then Walker, and Marshall are the only ones that bring major starting experience and production with Turner is there as well.

USF brings Peyton, Green, Chambers, and Garris.  All four were starters last year.

Now debate as you wish.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  162

Not including any incoming freshman in that list?

I thought about including FR, but it's rare for incoming freshmen to make a big impact right away and even harder to determine if they will be good or not, but let's do it.

Overall, USF's 2005 WR class is better.  

USF signed 5 WR:

Cedric Hill

Taurus Johnson

Jesse Hester Jr.

Ishmael Grant

Carlton Hill (for arguments sake)

On numbers alone, clearly this is a superior group as a whole to what UCF signed.  USF needed more WR in its class than UCF did, and it sounds like all of them are good looking recruits.

I think USF has a better class of WR coming in with the 2005 class based on what I have read about Jesse Hester and since I believe Carlton Hill will be playing WR this year (no way he beats out Matt Grothe, forget about Denson).  Hill is too good an athlete for JL to not play at WR and he will not be RS to defer eligibility as a QB down the road.  Johnson looks to be a player as well.  I don't think Grant will be eligible based on comments made by Bulls fans before.

UCF's new WRs:

Rocky Ross

Jarvis James

Ross is the Bolles HS WR that I think was a great pickup and I think that Javid James, the JUCO WR that is enrolled at UCF now is a good player based on what I have seen this spring.  I watched him make a great catch in the back corner of the endzone.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ross was redshirted.

Guest S.  Bien

By the way, why are we having this discussion since all the knights have already determined their receivers are superior?  You guys have given us this major descriptive reasoning why your receivers should be the most feared in the land.

As Citro likes to say, "Could someone pass me Some Bean Dip."

P.S. Freak we're also adding Amarri Jackson.  He's a 6-5 210lb kid that played only basketball at HCC.  He was all conference in hoops, but in HS he was one of Brandenton's best DB's, and QB's.  He broke the state long-jump record, and has some solidi speed and athleticism to boot.  He decided he wanted to re-dedicate himself to football which is why the move.  Coming out of HS he had all the bigs calling him but eligibility was an issue.  Just thought you'd like to know to add him to our in-coming freshmen list.