• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF vs. USF - Better WR corps?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  162
  • Days Won:  0

You said it, the knights are superior.  My next guess is when we start talking RB's is Wilcox is the second coming of Hershel Walker, and Andre Hall's just a little guy that can't break the big one.

But, If you want my honest opinion, and obviously everything is subject to change as players and teams develop, but UCF's WR crew is inconsistent past Walker.  Marshall for all his height has never distinguished himself as a go-to WR, and even some knights have questioned his reliability receiving.   After that everyone is simply inconsistent, or lacking experience to make a definitive determination on their potential.  UCF's got nice size, lacks some serious speed, but the size can nuetralize that aspect somewhat.  

Flipping to USF, we're young at WR, with good size, and good speed.  The consistency is a question mark for every receiver since everyone, except Green and Chambers, has exhibited some tendency to drop an occasional ball, or run inconsistent routes.  

Taking the facts into account it sounds like this part of the evaluation is simply a push.  Maybe an ever so slight advantage to UCF based solely on experience.

If you want to base it on potential and talent then here's my assessment.

Comparing USF v. UCF at WR based on potential then that starts and stops with the two studs on both teams- Peyton v. Walker.  Both are skilled, and very highly sought after coming out of HS.  Their skill sets are a little different, Walker's a sure handed solid WR that catches most everything that comes his way, Peyton's a rangy deep threat that has deceptive speed, and amazing size- great combination athletically but has a tendency at this juncture to be lackadaisical in his approach and drop a ball or two.  Two different WR's but both with similar potential and very talented.

After that I would give USF a slight advantage on overall potential, and speed.  Partly because Chambers has proven to be that good, and guys like Halliburton, Garris, Edwards, and Green are highly skilled.  Garris' 4.3 speed is the lightning, but Chambers is 4.4.  

When you take into account in-coming freshmen then the USF advantage solely on potential is slightly more profound.

As for TE, well the clear edge goes to UCF based on athleticism, and experience.  Your TE's are very athletic, rangy kids that can play.  USF's TEs include jumbo athletes, some who walked on like Ruegger, Bleakley, and Derek Carter.  Cedric Hill could fall in this category as he's bloomed into a 6-3 225lbs kid that reminds some of a Winslow type.  However, UCF gets the edge in both potential and experience.  Part of USF's in ability here is that we don't use the TE that much, and when we do it's usually solely as a blocker, and we usually bring in another tackle, or one of the big jumbo athletes.

There you have it.  I don't think anyone can, or should say that either of "Our WRing crews can hang w/ just about any program."  That's a false statement, and completely biased, and borderline dilusional.  There's not that type of talent on either squad with maybe a couple of exceptions (as mentioned above).  Each team possesses a few special players at these given positions.  At this juncture I'd only say that Walker and Peyton could play anywhere in the country with Chambers getting an honorable mention in that category.  Outside of those guys neither team or receiving core has proven to be egregiously better than each other, and based on one's biasedness I could see it bent either way.  

In terms of TE it's heavily weighted to UCF, but that's partly because USF hasn't recruited or used many TE's in the recent past.

Aside from the sarcastic RB pot-shot, that was exactly what I wanted to see from you, S.Bien.  Thanks.

Looking at the numbers and seeing the different points, made, it looks like a more even match than I first considered, and at the end of the day I think USF and UCF will have some exciting players to see running down the field next year looking for the ball.

Now, about our respective QB's having the time and ability to deliver the ball down the field consistently, well, that's a topic for another thread...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

I cannot believe we are debating who has the best QB and are actually trying to make a case for Julmiste LOL

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  289

It would help if you had our actual WR'ing crew.

Expected:

Garris

Peyton

Chambers

Hill

Edwards

Halliburton

Green

Do you need to list walk-ons?  If you're going to talk WR's I think it needs to be based on actual production, and potential.  If you use that then Walker, and Marshall are the only ones that bring major starting experience and production with Turner is there as well.

USF brings Peyton, Green, Chambers, and Garris.  All four were starters last year.

Now debate as you wish.

Yeah but the WR corps at USF was hampered by very bad QB play.  In fact, people made the excuse that when USF receivers dropped passes it was because they were shocked the ball actually made it to them.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  289

Another instance of UCFer opinion not matching reality. Below are the key passing and rushing stats for each QB. Show me how Moffet is "far and away better than Julmiste."

If anything Julmiste is the better runner and has a better nose for the endzone.

NAME                        CMP   ATT   YDS   CMP%   YDS/A    TD   INT   RAT

Steven Moffett       147     229   1721   64.2      7.52       9    10    131.6

Pat Julmiste           118     247   1570   47.8      6.36       7      8    104.0

NAME                        CAR     YDS     YPC     LONG        TD

Steven Moffett         107       6       0.1        31(TD)   2

Pat Julmiste               96     193     2.0        23          9

Are you really this dull?  I'll show you how Moffet is far and away better than PJ.  64% completion versus 47% completion.  And PJ had much better protection than Moffet had last year.  Like shooting fish in a barrel.  Here's a hint, try reading the stats you are posting.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

look at the stats again...

Moffett - 11 TD's

Julmiste - 16 TD's

you can pick out single parts of each QB and say they are better... but overall... they both pretty much suck.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  118

Here is UCF's actual tight end list.  Brown was an unannounced JC signing.  He can be found on multiple internet sites as signing with UCF in Feb.  This fall there will be 6 scholarship TE's on UCF's roster.

Tight Ends

Antonio Eldmire            Tight End            6-3      250      SR      SR

Darcy Johnson            Tight End            6-5      255      SR      SR

Sinclair Brown            Tight End            6-2      225      JR      JR

Mike Merritt            Tight End            6-3      260      JR      SO

Travis Ferrer            Tight End            6-5      230      FR      FR

J.R Sandlin            Tight End            6-5      248      FR      FR

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

Are you really this dull?  I'll show you how Moffet is far and away better than PJ.  64% completion versus 47% completion.  And PJ had much better protection than Moffet had last year.  Like shooting fish in a barrel.  Here's a hint, try reading the stats you are posting.

I never said who was the better QB b/c it's obvious and pretty much understood that they both sucked.

I asked how Moffett was far and away the better QB.  Julmiste had more TDs and his team won more games. A lot of the yardage Moffett put up was b/c UCF was behind everygame and was forced to throw the ball.  BTW, I didn't even include all the bad fumbles and bad sacks that Moffett took last year.

I love to see the insecurities from UCFers bubble to the surface. I guess going winless for almost 2 years can wear anybody down.

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

Supposedly, Moffett has been looking really sharp.  I won't believe it till I see it cause last year was horrible.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Here is UCF's actual tight end list.  Brown was an unannounced JC signing.  He can be found on multiple internet sites as signing with UCF in Feb.  This fall there will be 6 scholarship TE's on UCF's roster.

Tight Ends

Antonio Eldmire            Tight End            6-3      250      SR      SR

Darcy Johnson            Tight End            6-5      255      SR      SR

Sinclair Brown            Tight End            6-2      225      JR      JR

Mike Merritt            Tight End            6-3      260      JR      SO

Travis Ferrer            Tight End            6-5      230      FR      FR

J.R Sandlin            Tight End            6-5      248      FR      FR

FYI...I think either Ferrer or Sandlin will become DE/LB's for UCF.

Don't think both will stay at TE.

I think both had Defensive Experience in HS.

KL

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

FYI...I think either Ferrer or Sandlin will become DE/LB's for UCF.

Don't think both will stay at TE.

I think both had Defensive Experience in HS.

KL

GOL, much like  Jim Leavitt traditionally puts his best players/athletes on defense so don't be surprised if they both wind up on the defensive side of the ball.

Sandlin is the kid with the weightlifting background so I guess he gets first stab at the DL. don't know much about the other kid other than brandon's souped up, walk-on water article about the kid ;^)

BTW in case brandon is 'listening in'.....nice job on the audio interviews...good stuff. I wish usf gave it's beat writers that kind of access