• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What's the in-state schedule the next few years?

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Believe me, if UF could add Texas and PSU for OOC every year, I'd be thrilled.  But it isn't happening.  There isn't a school on the planet that doesn't play one or two out of conference patsies a year.

FYI....Texas is playing at Ohio State this year.

Other teams do it...UF just wants to make $25 Million in Football Profit instead of $21 Million in Profit.

That's why you will never see UF leave the State for a non-conf game again.

KL

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

FYI....Texas is playing at Ohio State this year.

Other teams do it...UF just wants to make $25 Million in Football Profit instead of $21 Million in Profit.

That's why you will never see UF leave the State for a non-conf game again.

KL

They prefer to make money rather than win national championships. They've been an embarrassment to Florida college football forever.........

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

Well, UF are a bunch of elitist wannabees.

Yeah, Texas is going to Ohio State and OSU is returning the favor next year.  OSU did that with NCState in 02 and 03.  They always play a MAC(usually in state) school because every MAC school is trying to break a running record of OSU vs in-state foes and they want to play at OSU.  This year, I think it's Miami(OH).

Here is the difference..

Florida has won ONE national championship.  IF you look back at history, you'll see that it was only cause of a comeback win by Ohio State over an undefeated Arizona State that propelled Florida to number 1.  They were number 3 and ASU was number 2(FSU #1 and OSU #4).  Yeah, Florida won it, but they didn't do it on their own.  They had a big boost of help.

In contrast, OSU has more than 5 national championships.  That's why schools like Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Nebraska, Michigan and USC can be classified as true elites.  They have a winning history and are as big as you get on the field.  Florida just thinks they are there, but the reality is that they are even farther off than Miami or FSU.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

Things will be moved around.  USC(South Carolina) would be the one to go if one had to go.

you who give up spurrier to play little old usf?

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

UF's scheduling is the way it is because of the Georgia game being on a neutral site every year.

UF isn't going to play a 5 home game schedule to accomidate Michigan.

You'll see UF add national teams when the 12th game is finally approved.  

they will add a d1aa to make more money at home!

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  26

All of this is now null and void as they've added the 12th game.   ;D

Dawg, I am as big of a Gator fan as you will ever find, and I can tell you that I do not consider UF in the category of "Historically Elite".  Have they been good in cycles, yes.  60s were a golden time for UF athletics... Doug Dickey coached in the 70s so that era was a waste of talent and the 80s were a combination of both.  The 90s were the glory years.

College football is cyclical.  Look at college football right now, many of the historically elite teams are not very good.  UNL, ND, Penn State and Alabama.  OU would be on my HE list... but before Stoops they had a down time of 7 years or so with Gary Gibbs and Schnelly coaching there.  Michigan was going 7-4 for a few years before 1997.  USC was AWFUL for a bunch of years before Caroll.

I think the Dawg in your name is for Cleveland, but if it is for UGA, where do you put them in the historically elite?  They have 1 national championship.

60s were a golden time for UF athletics...

Just curious, but how could it be a "golden time" when they didn't even win an SEC title?

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  26

Just curious, but how could it be a "golden time" when they didn't even win an SEC title?

It's all relative.  

The 60s were the first time that UF was on TV consistently.  Spurrier won the Heisman.  Graves had winning seasons almost every year.  Bowl games were almost every year, back when it was actually a big deal to get to one.  It was the winningest decade before the 90s under spurrier.  UF was always one game away during that time period.  Mississippi and Alabama were the class of the conference.  Coach Vaught won Ole Miss 2 National Titles, 1960 and 1962 (another on in '59).  Bama won it all in 1961, 1964 and 1965.  UGA ruined UF's season in 1966.

Basically it was golden because UF was doing things it had never done before on a national level.

Kind of like if USF wins bowl games the next 3 years and then if they fall on their butt... you'll call those 3 years a golden era... because it's all relative to previous successes/disappointments.

It's all relative.  

The 60s were the first time that UF was on TV consistently.  Spurrier won the Heisman.  Graves had winning seasons almost every year.  Bowl games were almost every year, back when it was actually a big deal to get to one.  It was the winningest decade before the 90s under spurrier.  UF was always one game away during that time period.  Mississippi and Alabama were the class of the conference.  Coach Vaught won Ole Miss 2 National Titles, 1960 and 1962 (another on in '59).  Bama won it all in 1961, 1964 and 1965.  UGA ruined UF's season in 1966.

Basically it was golden because UF was doing things it had never done before on a national level.

Kind of like if USF wins bowl games the next 3 years and then if they fall on their butt... you'll call those 3 years a golden era... because it's all relative to previous successes/disappointments.

That's more than I ever want to know about UF football history but I DID ask .............. Thanks.   8)

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

All of this is now null and void as they've added the 12th game.   ;D

Dawg, I am as big of a Gator fan as you will ever find, and I can tell you that I do not consider UF in the category of "Historically Elite".  Have they been good in cycles, yes.  60s were a golden time for UF athletics... Doug Dickey coached in the 70s so that era was a waste of talent and the 80s were a combination of both.  The 90s were the glory years.

College football is cyclical.  Look at college football right now, many of the historically elite teams are not very good.  UNL, ND, Penn State and Alabama.  OU would be on my HE list... but before Stoops they had a down time of 7 years or so with Gary Gibbs and Schnelly coaching there.  Michigan was going 7-4 for a few years before 1997.  USC was AWFUL for a bunch of years before Caroll.

I think the Dawg in your name is for Cleveland, but if it is for UGA, where do you put them in the historically elite?  They have 1 national championship.

I always viewed Georgia as a bunch of chokes.  They seem to always lose the big game, despite being very talented.  I almost ended up going to Georgia Tech for school, but the money kept me in state.

To be honest, in the SEC, I root for the Tide.  It's hard to do though cause I can't stand Mike Shula from his time with the Bucs.

As for that elitist feel, it's a generalization.  There are always exceptions.  Look at the Gator support groups.  They expect a national championship every single year and I don't mean root for one, but seriously expect it on their plate.  The team is good, but no one is that good.

College football is very cyclical.  Every 4-5 years, you have a whole new team.  I remember when USC not too long ago was pretty bad and Ohio State had a 6-6 year and didn't go bowling.  Notre Dame has fallen on harder times.

The thing is that these historically successful teams are willing to put their neck on the line OOC more than Florida.  Miami is showing some good will by coming to Tampa and Orlando.  That's very admirable for them to be willing to play at the little guy's place.  Why won't Florida?  It's minimal expense and I'm sure UF can sacrifice a home OOC to play at Tampa or Orlando, which is right down the road.  The Gator faithful would follow and it would help out these smaller schools.