• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What's the in-state schedule the next few years?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

That is true, but Jax got the Jags and decided to start the renovation in Nov of 1993...about 11 months before the game the next year.  UGA and Clemson both dropped their openers (paying big $$) and scheduled eachother, natural rivalry.  They had something worked out.  I'm not sure what big time program you expected UF to just pick up that wasn't already booked.

Good points actually, but we both know if Florida had really wanted to go after a "national" name those 2 years, something could have probably been worked out ..... Bottom line ......... weenies.  ;D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

I blame FSU, they should have just joined the SEC and UF could go play whoever.

;D

They do need the 6th game to "break even" but the overage they get after the break even point on that sixth game is very high.  I'm not sure if it is online but the UAA does send out an annual report every year (includes all sports) to boosters that is pretty interesting to look at.

That OSU-Texas series will be very fun to watch.  I think Tressel is in for a few tough years.  Meanwhile this might be Brown's best shot at OU.

I don't think Bama has been to USM.  So that's an annual home game for Bama.

When it goes to 12 games, I think you will see UF play UM two out of every 6 years and then play someone nationally (maybe USC again) the other four years.  I'd rather play UM every year, but I understand the schedule being way too regional as it is.

Don't forget, UF makes several MILLION on their 7th (6.5) home/neutral game in Jacksonville every year.

UF would still turn a profit if they only had 5 home games.

UF could turn a very easy profit with 5 home games, PLUS, their annual game in Jacksonville...which brings in Millions more.

UF is a CASH machine....They could make profit with the last 2 scenarios...or...make A LOT of profit by scheduling a 6th (almost 7th) home game every year...and they do.

KL

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  26

That money from Jax to host UF-UGA is split 12 ways in the long run as it is a conference game (treated like a bowl game).  Neither UF or UGA makes more off the game than the other.  And you have travel expenses for both schools.  They make money but it's not a cash cow.  There is no title sponsor or anything like that.

You'd also have a lot of teed off season ticket holders (like me) with only five home games.  I cannot think of a single big time program playing a five home game schedule...ever.

I guess I need to register, it won't let me edit.

I believe the latest Jax contract was written so that Jax paid 250K apiece to the schools (again eventually divided by 12) over and above an average of the top 5 home concession weekends or something like that.

Guest Toolio

A correction/addition to the Gator schedule above.

Florida/Miami are planning on playing a neutral site game in 2008 when the 12 game schedule comes around.

If the 12 game schedule becomes permanent in 2006 as the NCAA is currently considering, Florida and Miami would probably play each other 2 times every 5 years and rotate in additional schools with home and away games.

Also, everytime Florida borrows money to expand the stadium, the bond calls for a minimum of 6 home games to guarantee money.

Florida plays one of the toughest schedules in the country every year and Florida pulls in massive bank for the privilege (revenues are probably 3rd or 4th in the nation).

There are a lot of disadvantages to playing an even tougher schedule and giving up profit, especially with the current BCS setup. No need for Florida to make it tougher without getting something in return... and that's what the 12 game schedule gives them.

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

Wyoming and Louisiana Tech are tough?  What about Eastern Michigan and Ohio U?  This isn't Bizzaro world.

Since we have been talking about OOC schedules, UF has followed the trend of big schools playing softer schedules.  No amount of excuse making or justifying will change this fact.  It's written in the stone of the schedules.

Believe me, if UF could add Texas and PSU for OOC every year, I'd be thrilled.  But it isn't happening.  There isn't a school on the planet that doesn't play one or two out of conference patsies a year.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest antigatorhater

What has Florida done for anyone outside of Miami and Florida State?  We all want to make money, but they lose out in their SOS, which translates to bad BCS rankings(it affects the polls indirectly).

While yes playing cupcake schools for the first to games hurt our SOS we also play in the SEC one of the toughest conf in the country!

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

At least you admitted to having a soft OOC outside of HalfA$$U.  Miami is only going to play UF like twice every 6 years or something.