• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What's the in-state schedule the next few years?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

Really, like who?  The games with Clemson were with a 12 game schedule.

UGA hasn't travelled for a non GT out of conference game since the SEC went to an 8 game schedule in 1992.

94 - Clemson  (11 games)

95 -  @ Clemson (11 games)

03 -  @ Clemson

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  26

My point exactly.  94 the UF-UGA game was in Gainesville, the 95 UF-UGA game was in Athens.  So they could host Clemson in 94 and go to Clemson in 95. 03 was a 12 game year.  :)

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

My point exactly.  94 the UF-UGA game was in Gainesville, the 95 UF-UGA game was in Athens.  So they could host Clemson in 94 and go to Clemson in 95. 03 was a 12 game year.  :)

And in those two years where they played away from Jax did the mighty Gators beef up their OOC schedule like UGA did with Clemson? Of course not. Their OOC schedule outside of FSU was Southern Miss, Houston, Northern Illinois and New Mexico State, all in Gainesville.

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

Let's try Ohio State...

1997 @ Missouri (Wyoming, BGSU, Arizona at home)

1998 @ West Virginia (Toledo, Missouri at home)

1999 Neutral vs Miami(FL) (UCLA, Ohio, Cincinnati at home)

2000 @ Arizona (Fresno State, Miami(OH) at home)

2001 @ UCLA (Akron, San Diego State at home)

2002 @ Cincinnati (Texas Tech, Kent State, Washington State, San Jose State at home)

2003 No away OOC (Washington, San Diego State, NC State at home)

2004 @ NC State (Cincinnati, Marshall at home)

2005 No away OOC (Miami(OH), Texas, San Diego State at home)

Compared to Florida...

1997 No away OOC (Southern Miss, CMU, FSU at home)

1998 @ FSU (Citadel and Louisiana-Monroe at home)

1999 No away OOC (WMU, UCF and FSU at home)

2000 @ FSU (Ball St and MTSU at home)

2001 No away OOC (Marshall, Louisiana-Monroe, FSU at home)

2002 @ FSU (UAB, Miami(FL), Ohio at home)

2003 @ Miami(FL) (San Jose State, FAMU, FSU at home)

2004 @ FSU (EMU, MTSU at home)

2005 No away OOC (Wyoming, LTU, FSU at home)

Wow, that's a lot of away OOC games and they aren't all against the same schools.  UF has had 4 seasons since 1997 with no away OOC games compared with Ohio State's 2.  Plus, OSU's OOC SoS is stronger than UF's cupcake schedule.

Quoted from this article written about USF and UF playing in 2008 and 2009.  The article is from 2002.

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/10/02/Sports/Bulls__Gators_agree_t.shtml

But the same problem that has kept the Hurricanes and Gators from meeting annually is the reason the Gators won't be playing in Raymond James Stadium either year: Florida can't afford to schedule a home-and-away series.

"We can't take a game off this campus," Foley said. "It's the same reason we don't play Miami every year, same reason we don't play any non-conference games on the road except for Florida State -- because we need that sixth home game (financially). Obviously it (Raymond James) is a beautiful stadium, and we have a lot of alumni in the Tampa area, but we're committed to playing six games in Gainesville."

So basicly, UF is bad enough at managing their finances to not being able to play away from home and not fall in the red.  No wonder they have to have such high payouts to visiting schools.  Those financial morons can't attract teams otherwise without getting some away games in there.

Dawg, good post but does OSU have an OUT OF CONFERECE RIVAL they have to play each year?!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

So they CAN go home and home with someone different every year if they want.  They don't have an FSU.  One thing OSU did that I like is playing at Cincy.  That's a home game for them, like UF playing at USF.

This isn't long division.

"So basicly, UF is bad enough at managing their finances to not being able to play away from home and not fall in the red."

Or, UF makes a killing, has incredible booster support, and great facilites so why turn money away?

UF is one of the very few athletic programs that makes money.

And in those two years where they played away from Jax did the mighty Gators beef up their OOC schedule like UGA did with Clemson? Of course not. Their OOC schedule outside of FSU was Southern Miss, Houston, Northern Illinois and New Mexico State, all in Gainesville.

That is true, but Jax got the Jags and decided to start the renovation in Nov of 1993...about 11 months before the game the next year.  UGA and Clemson both dropped their openers (paying big $$) and scheduled eachother, natural rivalry.  They had something worked out.  I'm not sure what big time program you expected UF to just pick up that wasn't already booked.

Schools that are in a similar position as the Big 10 schools (OSU, Mich, Penn State, etc) as far as not having out of conference rivals include...

Tennessee (Have played ND, Miami, UCLA and Syracuse) over the last few years.

Alabama (UCLA)

OU... Texas used to be an out of conference game for them, but OU only had 6/7 conference games in the Big 8 every year.  Texas was in the SWC.  OU usually plays a home and home with someone decent.

Auburn - Auburn is the one school that comes to mind that never seems to play anyone out of conference.  And they have Bama in conference.  But their AD has said that they need SEVEN games to break even... They played USC and GT when we had the 12 game schedules.

Is it football season yet?  ;)

Ohio State and Texas play this year in Columbus and next year in Austin.  People are jawing at that being the biggest early season OOC game in recent history.

I can't wait for football.

I like you, Bruce.  You're intelligent and willing to debate.  OSU normally plays Ohio schools at home(aside from being at the center of the state).  Also, most Ohio stadiums aren't big enough for both teams to benefit from the game.

Alabama's yearly OOC rival is Southern Miss.  They play every year.

Also, if UF does so well financially, they could stand to play away OOC at least once every year.  UF doing a home and home with a good Big XII or Big Ten school would be huge.  Foley's response hints at them being reliant on breaking even with that 6th game.

I blame FSU, they should have just joined the SEC and UF could go play whoever.

;D

They do need the 6th game to "break even" but the overage they get after the break even point on that sixth game is very high.  I'm not sure if it is online but the UAA does send out an annual report every year (includes all sports) to boosters that is pretty interesting to look at.

That OSU-Texas series will be very fun to watch.  I think Tressel is in for a few tough years.  Meanwhile this might be Brown's best shot at OU.

I don't think Bama has been to USM.  So that's an annual home game for Bama.

When it goes to 12 games, I think you will see UF play UM two out of every 6 years and then play someone nationally (maybe USC again) the other four years.  I'd rather play UM every year, but I understand the schedule being way too regional as it is.