• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Harbaugh coming to USF again

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

A camp for the area involving one of the best minds in the game and former NFL player sounds great for the local kids that want to attend. I dunno, I don't look at it as "bad for recruiting" but "great for the kids to better themselves," regardless of where they play football. I see nothing wrong with that. 

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

8 minutes ago, Ionbull said:

A camp for the area involving one of the best minds in the game and former NFL player sounds great for the local kids that want to attend. I dunno, I don't look at it as "bad for recruiting" but "great for the kids to better themselves," regardless of where they play football. I see nothing wrong with that. 

Nobody is saying that this camp isn't great for local kids, and that Harbaugh is free to go hold camps in any region he wants. I think the question is whether USF should roll out the red carpet for him to come on our campus and recruit the same Bay Area kids we are trying to build a program around.

I see two sides here, but it surprises me that it seems like very few other people have the same qualms as I do.

Edited by WWMJD

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

3 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

Nobody is saying that this camp isn't great for local kids, and that Harbaugh is free to go hold camps in any region he wants. I think the question is whether USF should roll out the red carpet for him to come on our campus and recruit the same Bay Area kids we are trying to build a program around.

I see two sides here, but it surprises me that it seems like very few other people have the same qualms as I do.

I just don't really care because it's very rare that we pull the high 4 star guys that Harbaugh is going after in the bay area.

Just now, CPR said:

I just don't really care because it's very rare that we pull the high 4 star guys that Harbaugh is going after in the bay area.

Higdon was generally regarded as a high 3 star. That's the type of player who would have been an impact guy here, but Harbaugh signed last minute to fill a gap in his class. Swooping in without having done any real work for him. We aren't even talking about the Ray Ray McCould's of the world, we are talking about guys that we can realistically pull on at least a semi-regular basis. We have to start winning those kids to really become the team we want to, right? And eventually we have to pull in those 4 star guys you are talking about to compete with the big boys.

Willie has stated his mission is to "build a wall around Tampa" and keep the local kids home. Isn't this counterproductive to that?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

2 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

Higdon was generally regarded as a high 3 star. That's the type of player who would have been an impact guy here, but Harbaugh signed last minute to fill a gap in his class. Swooping in without having done any real work for him. We aren't even talking about the Ray Ray McCould's of the world, we are talking about guys that we can realistically pull on at least a semi-regular basis. We have to start winning those kids to really become the team we want to, right? And eventually we have to pull in those 4 star guys you are talking about to compete with the big boys.

Willie has stated his mission is to "build a wall around Tampa" and keep the local kids home. Isn't this counterproductive to that?

Just so there's no misconceptions here, Higdon signed with UM 4 months before Harbaugh set foot on the USF campus ...

3 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

I'm pretty sure I remember him flipping from us to Iowa, not Michigan. As long as we're in the AAC, we're not going to be pulling in the highly rated 4 star guys.

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Just so there's no misconceptions here, Higdon signed with UM 4 months before Harbaugh set foot on the USF campus ...

Yes, you are absolutely right. I'm not implying that this was a direct result of one of these camps, I just think the idea that there is not some overlap between the schools is pretty clearly not accurate. The bottom of their class overlaps with the top of ours, ratings wise, and has for a while. Until (if) Harbaugh gets Michigan to Bama levels (where there is truly no overlap between recruits and no chance for us to win out), it just makes me uneasy.

Edited by WWMJD

I guess I'm just of the mind frame that Harbaugh coming here does nothing for us/doesn't hurt us in recruiting. I don't think it's a big deal and won't change a kids decision on whether or not he wants to come here. Now, whether it hurts UF, FSU, Miami and other blue bloods is a different argument.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

1 minute ago, WWMJD said:

Yes, you are absolutely right. I'm not implying that this was a direct result of one of these camps, I just think the idea that there is not some overlap between the schools is pretty clearly not accurate. The bottom of their class overlaps with the top of ours, ratings wise, and has for a while. If/when Harbaugh gets Michigan to Bama levels (where there is truly no overlap between recruits and no chance for us to win out), it just makes me uneasy.

No problem. Understand completely where you're coming from, even though don't entirely agree with it, like CPR. Just wanted to make sure everyone was aware that Higdon's decision had nothing to do with a camp here.

Maybe it's just an emotional thing. Letting another Division I football team come recruit on your campus feels like a tacit acknowledgement: "you are simply better than us, and it's going to stay that way, so we might as well just try to get your table scraps." Like the sucker fish that follow whales. Even if it's true, I don't think that's a good mentality for a competitive sports team to have.

• Upvote 1