• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Late Run Not Enough for Bulls

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DATE: DEC. 30, 2015

Follow @USFAthletics On Twitter

Like USF Athletics on Facebook

Late Run Not Enough for Bulls

JACKSONVILLE, DEC. 30, 2015 – Despite holding No. 8 Mississippi State scoreless for close to eight minutes in the final 15, the Bulls couldn’t close the gap and overcome a 22-point halftime deficit in the Southeastern/American Athletic Conference Challenge. The Bulldogs defeated No. 20/17 USF 68-58 at the Veterans Memorial Arena in Jacksonville Wednesday evening.

In their last non-conference match-up before the conference slate, and the last contest in 2015, the Bulls jumped out of the gate and sprinted to a 4-0 lead, holding one of the most efficient offenses scoreless for the first three and one half minutes of the game. USF appeared in control, but the Bulldogs frenzied defense limited USF and forced seven turnovers in the first quarter.

The second and third quarters kept the Bulldogs on pace to reach their season average of 82 points per game, but the fourth quarter belonged to the Bulls. Laura Ferreira (Lisboa, Portugal) scored seven of her season high 19 points in the final 10 minutes. The sophomore sparked the Green and Gold scoring the team’s first three-pointer of the game with just over five minutes to play. Junior Ariadna Pujol (Mataro, Spain) added five points in the final frame, helping the Bulls outscore Mississippi State 16 to six. USF held Mississippi State to its lowest single quarter score this season.

Ferreira’s 19 points led the Bulls, and the Portugal native added five rebounds and a team best two steals. Alisia Jenkins (Statesboro, Ga.) collected her fifth double-double this season, tallying 15 points and a game-high 12 rebounds. Courtney Williams (Folkston, Ga.) added 12 points and six rebounds while senior Shalethia Stringfield (Jacksonville, Fla.) chipped in a two points and a game-high three assists.

USF opens American Athletic Conference action Saturday at East Carolina University. The Bulls finished the 2014-15 league slate 15-3, two losses to UConn and one on the road at East Carolina. The Pirates slipped past the Bulls 65-64 in their last meeting. Sunday’s match-up is slated for a 1 p.m. tip, and will air on CBS Sports Network.

Jose Fernandez’s 2015 women’s basketball team returns all five starters, including All-American Candidate Courtney Williams, from a team that posted a 27-8 (15-3 American) record in 2014-15 and finished the season in the top 25 rankings. The squad finished second behind eventual NCAA champion UConn in the American Athletic Conference and made an exciting NCAA Tournament run that saw USF top LSU in front of 5,560 fans in the Sun Dome in the NCAA regional round.

In 2015-16, the Bulls will be hosting their toughest schedule yet, including the opening rounds of the Preseason WNIT, along with perennial powers Penn State, Chattanooga, Oklahoma State and UConn making trips to Tampa. Season tickets, starting at just $65, are available for purchase online at USFBullsTix.com, by phone at 1-800-GoBulls or in person at the Gate B ticket office of the Sun Dome, with single game tickets going on sale in late September.

USF has made 11 postseason tournament appearances and had three NCAA Tournament berths in Head Coach Jose Fernandez’s 15 seasons. The all-time winningest coach in program history, Fernandez has guided USF to six 20-win seasons, two WNIT final four appearances, the 2009 WNIT championship and won more than 260 games.

– #GoBulls –

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  239
  • Days Won:  2

They looked mediocre at best and our best player was off the whole game. Refs didn't help much either.  

Edited by Bullsfan1219

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

The team that played today is not the team we've seen normally.  Mississippi State played well.  There is no taking that away from them.  Unfortunately the lady Bulls didn't play to their usual standard.  I agree with Bulls_Fan09.  It was a very difficult game to watch.  That being said, the girls did not quit.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

This team is still set up for their best season ever. Just have to get it done in conference. 

This team is good, but there is still a big gap between where we are and the top teams. Hopefully, they get through conference and conference tourney with only losses vs the unbeatable force that is UCONN, peak at the right time and make a deep run into the NCAAs. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

7 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

This team is still set up for their best season ever. Just have to get it done in conference. 

This team is good, but there is still a big gap between where we are and the top teams. Hopefully, they get through conference and conference tourney with only losses vs the unbeatable force that is UCONN, peak at the right time and make a deep run into the NCAAs. 

Unfortunately very true.  This team, returning everyone but Tamara Taylor, has disappointed so far this year.  Not so much in record but just how they look.  Did we really go 10 minutes without a field goal?  Think it was close to that.  Courtney, and I love her, just seems "off".  Can't put my finger on it.  Sometimes I think she tries to elevate so much on her jumper that it throws off her shot.  And she still isn't the ball handler she thinks she is.  Wish someone can help her figure it out.  I know she's fourth in the nation in scoring.  And I'm not trying to diss her in any way.  She's still the best we have and better than many in the country.  I thought not playing her in the 4th qtr wasn't a great move because when she does warm up it is often super streaky.  

• Upvote 1

I understand what you mean about not looking right. Until the last couple of games the really seem to be getting off to slow starts. 

The only game I have been disappointed with the outcome has been St. Johns, but I felt the team has not been as dominant in some games as you see in some other teams. Hence my comment about the big gap between the top teams and where we are. With the returning talent plus a couple of the highly touted newcomers Perhaps i expected to make the jump from a good team to elite. 

I'm still expecting this to be a great year and excited about watching them play  

1 hour ago, Ned A Starr said:

1.   That's what happens when you buy into media hype.  USF is a very good team, but definately not close to the elite team level.

2.   Yep!

Can't really call it media hype when you return almost the entire team that had a great run in the NCAA tourney plus added a very highly touted recruit. The expectation should be to get better. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,519
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, Ned A Starr said:

1.   That's what happens when you buy into media hype.  USF is a very good team, but definately not close to the elite team level.  

Is top 25 elite team level?

• Upvote 1