• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Analysis of First Half of Remaining Schedule

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

I think we are one good QB away from winning the Conferece title.. maybe 2016 with Woulard at the helm ?

Edited by mellobull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Maryland's QB issues and problems on defense really line up for USF to pull the victory without having the play the "perfect game." -- WIN

Memphis has a good offense, but doesn't have a good defense.  If USF is able to shut down Paxton Lynch, the game will be close.  The USF offense should be able to move the ball... this one will come down to turnovers and field position. -- TOSSUP

Syracuse is actually doing better with Dungey, but with the game in Tampa and their defense is fair-to-middlin' at best. -- WIN

U Conn is probably the worst 2-0 team in the nation, and there may be 0-2 teams that are far better.  They had to come from behind in both games, and both were mistake-filled snoozefests. -- WIN

SMU is doing better than last year, but that is not saying much considering how bad they were.  Yes, they won their second game, but UNT was just outclassed in the 2nd half... and North Texas actually lead 13-10 at the start of the 4th quarter. -- WIN

So I have four wins and one tossup (which I could see being a loss).  That puts USF at 5-2 or 6-1 heading into the last five games.

Oh, I sooo want to bite on your optimism but that last statement should have made you put the brakes on.

I'm with you on the UM game, but not because of the QB--I actually think they upgraded. The SMU game is the one I think is a toss-up, UNT is an up & coming team, they're no cupcake. If they stay healthy, I'm almost as worried about SMU as I would be for Houston. I feel like Memphis will tell us the most in this part of the schedule, then maybe I can move off the fence for SMU.

Edited by raptorcj

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

It would be great if this was suddenly our best season ever.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

"If USF is able to shut down Paxton Lynch,..."

Tall order.

Yeah, it is a big if ... Last year he burned USF for 18/23 for 232 yards and 2 TDs... not gang busters, but they ran for 200 more yards as a team.

But ...

Don't forget that Tom Allen faced Lynch last year ... when Ole Miss and the Land Sharks beat Memphis 24-3.  Lynch was 13/31 for 81 yards and 1 INT... as well as 9 rushes for -24 (negative twenty-four) yards.

Not saying that USF = Ole Miss (more like USF < Ole Miss) -- but Allen did it before... we're better this year... it will be at home...

Oh... one last point. USF has a bye week before Memphis. Two weeks to prepare.  Memphis has 8 days, playing at home again Cincinnati on a Thursday night the week before.

For the reasons above, I have Memphis as a tossup.

Maryland's QB issues and problems on defense really line up for USF to pull the victory without having the play the "perfect game." -- WIN

Memphis has a good offense, but doesn't have a good defense.  If USF is able to shut down Paxton Lynch, the game will be close.  The USF offense should be able to move the ball... this one will come down to turnovers and field position. -- TOSSUP

Syracuse is actually doing better with Dungey, but with the game in Tampa and their defense is fair-to-middlin' at best. -- WIN

U Conn is probably the worst 2-0 team in the nation, and there may be 0-2 teams that are far better.  They had to come from behind in both games, and both were mistake-filled snoozefests. -- WIN

SMU is doing better than last year, but that is not saying much considering how bad they were.  Yes, they won their second game, but UNT was just outclassed in the 2nd half... and North Texas actually lead 13-10 at the start of the 4th quarter. -- WIN

So I have four wins and one tossup (which I could see being a loss).  That puts USF at 5-2 or 6-1 heading into the last five games.

Oh, I sooo want to bite on your optimism but that last statement should have made you put the brakes on.

I'm with you on the UM game, but not because of the QB--I actually think they upgraded. The SMU game is the one I think is a toss-up, UNT is an up & coming team, they're no cupcake. If they stay healthy, I'm almost as worried about SMU as I would be for Houston. I feel like Memphis will tell us the most in this part of the schedule, then maybe I can move off the fence for SMU.

It is surprising, yes... but the last five games @ Navy, @ ECU, vs Temple, vs Cincy, and @ UCF -- that is a tough stretch run.  USF might go 2-3 or 3-3 in that run... so it could be 7-5 ... or 9-3 for the season.

We have a good stretch with 'Cuse, U Conn, and SMU that should be winnable.  I don't think SMU has turned the corner fully -- they are basically a one-man offense behind Matt Davis - I think the Bull Sharks can shut him down and make it a long afternoon/evening at RayJay for the Mustangs.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

We win them all. I have a feeling.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  821
  • Days Won:  2

Got to get better, more precise passing from Flowers.

Coaches MUST call more passes across the middle. (probably fits Bench better than Flowers, but Bench had no feet).