• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

I admire your optimism but I'm not gonna get sucked in again

Show me on the field and then I will believe

I hear you about not getting sucked into the hype but you have to agree that in general, I can't help but get excited about football season.

I do, however, feel a little better about this season than the previous two.

I think that it will be much more exciting watching a faster offense(assuming it works as it should) and seeing the speed and athletes we have just go out and compete.

Most of these Florida kids played some type of spread offense coming our of hs and I think they should learn and execute the system just fine.

The big question will be can we move the chains and hang up 6's?

I hope you're right but as Mama said they have to "show ME"

I'm done with the silly gimmicks and hype

I agree and I'm ready to see what they have when it come gameday.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

We desperately need to two things in 2015:  to go bowling and thereby CWT saving his job for continuity.

Of course we all need to see it on the field... but part of being a fan looking forward to what may be.

Just think of Cubs fans with their "We'll get 'em next year" mantra for so long.

Over the past four maybe five seasons, we have all been wondering why USF has had problems... the question is have those reasons been answered?

1 - Talent issues:  Skip Holtz just could not recruit, especially when he was off on golf outings during a big camp on campus.  Holtz also had his hands tied like crazy by the academic committee, so he could not take chances on some "academically marginal" players that had great abilities like CJL did.

Talent takes a lot of time to get corrected.  CWT started at USF with less than two months to recruit his first class, but he's brought in two more great classes... and things are really looking good for the next few seasons.

2 - Scheme issues: Holtz and Taggart have tried to do different offensive and defensive schemes - and Taggart's schemes were significantly different that caused issues.  Taggart has changed the offense to a run-heavy spread offense and brought in Kinnan to help.  Kinnan, by the way, was a consultant with Auburn that helped instill their offense.  As others have said, our offensive talent suits this far better than the previous "Stanford-like" west coast offense.  On defense, bringing in the "landshark" mentatlity and switching to a modified version of the 3-3-5 that WVU runs will be amazing.  I think people will be surprised what Allen will do with this team.

3 - Team chemistry: People may belittle the comments about players caring for each other, but this is critical.  The cohesion of a team helps in so many ways... it means they trust each other on the field, so they can stay "home" not try to make plays themselves.  They also support each other when mistakes are made -- and mistakes will be made.  Team unity builds confidence as well, so players will actually play better because they will have a more confident state of mind.  Think "swagger."

4 - Coaching: This is the one area where we may still have issues. Can CWT and his new assistants "coach up" players? Can CWT make better play calls? (although I will say I could predict the plays from CJL and CSH far too often)  Can CWT and the coordinators make adjustments, especially for the second half? 

This is the only area where I am still skeptical.

For me, I think USF will surprise this year... and 2016 will be a chance at something really special.

• Upvote 1