• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Win, and they will come....right?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

We haven't been around long enough (with football) to have a large diehard fanbase. So, win and they will show up because it's something to do; people like to jump on for the feel-good atmosphere.

Maybe not for football but I'd say the basketball team meets that criteria. And how big is that fanbase?

We haven't been around long enough (with football) to have a large diehard fanbase. So, win and they will show up because it's something to do; people like to jump on for the feel-good atmosphere.

Maybe not for football but I'd say the basketball team meets that criteria. And how big is that fanbase?

We would fill the Sun Dome with a consistently winning program... we did from 1989-1992... #justsayin

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

We would fill the Sun Dome with a consistently winning program... we did from 1989-1992... #justsayin

So how long does it take to get a diehard fanbase vs the current fair weather fans. 75 years, 100?

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

So in a 40k seat ocs, for big games, up to 30,000 couldn't attend. Build it, win, and they can't come...right?

I'm OK with that.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

I hate to say it but if the biggest game on our home schedule is Syracuse I don't know if they will come even if we win. I hope our fan base proves me wrong and that Temple game is jacked.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

IMG_2079.JPG

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,262
  • Days Won:  1

Build the OCS and we'll pack it out no matter what ...

No matter that others have proven this to be a completely false statement.

This. People in Tampa (Florida) don't go to football games just because it's on campus... they go because they want to root for their team to win.

And remember - for 2015, the capacity of RayJay is 41,000... I can't see an OCS being smaller than that.

p

If we don't get out the AAC and into the P5 we won't need half that capacity.

If USF wins consistently we will... remember, winning the AAC still means a chance at a New Years Six bowl... and if we can be like Boise State - winning a lesser conference for few years in a row - we have a chance to get into the CFP.

Yes, that is a lot of "ifs" ... and I am not saying anythigng about when it will happen ... just pointing out that if USF is a consistent winner (8-4+) then we can sell out a 50,000 seat stadium with great ease...

If we lose, then we wouldn't fill Corbett Stadium.

The days of being able to play the ND's and Auburn's of the world and score a big upset are coming to a rapid close. The P5 are moving away from scheduling G5 games because it hurts their standing with the playoff committee. That's why the Independent teams will now count as P5 schools for scheduling. ND, BYU, and even Army will all count this season as P5 OOC matchups. The SEC is mandating teams schedule OOC games against other P5 schools, so is the B1G. (They can still schedule 1 G5 or FCS team but not for long).

So the point to all this for USF used to be 1: Schedule great OOC games ( we will play anyone, anywhere philosophy like Boise State used). 2: Win all your games. 3: Be in a position for a BCS bowl.

I can promise you NO conference bound G5 TEAM WILL EVER qualify for a spot in a 4 team playoff. (BYU maybe could have a chance if they went 11-0) The AAC champ may make some quasi high level bowl game but no shot at the title because our schedules against each other are too weak. That has to have an effect on the psyci of the teams. In any other sport you can start the season at least dreaming that if everything magically happened to fall in place you "could" be playing for the Natty. Not in football anymore. 11-0 in the crappy AAC won't get you ranked by the humans that now control the rankings into a top 4 spot.

I'd agree that no g5 school would qualify for a spot in top 4 but what if they expand it to 8. At that point I'd give a non p5 school at chance but they we would have to be undefeated and play a extremely tough non conference schedule

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Proof of what can happen:

largestcrowds.JPG

Two of those games in the post-Leavitt crash.

Absolutely.

The formula is pretty straight-forward to get our attendance up to what is used to be:

1. Win games at home. Beat teams were are supposed to beat handedly and then win conference games at home. Anyone remember that 21 game home winning streak? We may have lost some tough games on the road during this stretch... but fans could always count on USF putting out an entertaining product at home. That makes people want to come back....and bring friends.

2. Students: win enough games in a row at home and that gets the students to show up more consistently. If we can get 10K plus students to show up again, that puts us at 50% toward our goal of 40K plus/filling up the lower bowl  (10K students + 10K season tix/diehards).

3. The other 50%: The remaining 20K are going to have to be won over by winning. Call them bandwagoners, fans for the other team or future diehards...but it doesn't matter...for us 'old-timers' we know we used to do this all the time for the first 15 years of the program and we remember how LOUD it gets just by filling up the lower bowl.

4. Playmakers: USF desperately needs more playmakers that folks talk about after the game. We need more of the likes of  Blackwell, Rubin, Fisher, Hall, Selvie, Grothe, Daniels, Reed, JPP....that can change games by themselves. IMO we may have at least one kid on offense in MarlonMack. If he could get some help from a dual threat like Flowers that would not only do wonders for the play on the field but it gives the program an opportunity to market the heck of these two...which is one of the strengths of Harlan's administration. Do this and we get more fans, season tix....and a nice buzz going on traditional and new media

I've watched a lot football in my life as a '40-something'...and been watching USF since Day1. IMO...I don't think we are that far away and I see next season as 2005/2006 type of season where Leavitt's teams were able to grind their way to wins without an established QB. Our defense is going to be young but very good. On offense, I think CWT is going to find a way to make the best use of his deep RB crew led by #5 and offset that threat with Flowers leg's as well until he grows into a better passer. 

Bottom line for me: I think CWT turns it around this year and puts more Ws on the board....if that happens USF fans need to put aside whatever LINGERING bad feelings they had about how CJL was treated...and embrace/support this team by showing up to games. 

Just win Willie, just win!

Edited by CyberBull

Build the OCS and we'll pack it out no matter what ...

No matter that others have proven this to be a completely false statement.

This.  People in Tampa (Florida) don't go to football games just because it's on campus... they go because they want to root for their team to win.

And remember - for 2015, the capacity of RayJay is 41,000... I can't see an OCS being smaller than that.

p

If we don't get out the AAC and into the P5 we won't need half that capacity.

If USF wins consistently we will... remember, winning the AAC still means a chance at a New Years Six bowl... and if we can be like Boise State - winning a lesser conference for few years in a row - we have a chance to get into the CFP.

Yes, that is a lot of "ifs" ... and I am not saying anythigng about when it will happen ... just pointing out that if USF is a consistent winner (8-4+) then we can sell out a 50,000 seat stadium with great ease...

If we lose, then we wouldn't fill Corbett Stadium.

The days of being able to play the ND's and Auburn's of the world and score a big upset are coming to a rapid close. The P5 are moving away from scheduling G5 games because it hurts their standing with the playoff committee. That's why the Independent teams will now count as P5 schools for scheduling. ND, BYU, and even Army will all count this season as P5 OOC matchups. The SEC is mandating teams schedule OOC games against other P5 schools, so is the B1G. (They can still schedule 1 G5 or FCS team but not for long).

So the point to all this for USF used to be 1: Schedule great OOC games ( we will play anyone, anywhere philosophy like Boise State used). 2: Win all your games. 3: Be in a position for a BCS bowl.

I can promise you NO conference bound G5 TEAM WILL EVER qualify for a spot in a 4 team playoff. (BYU maybe could have a chance if they went 11-0) The AAC champ may make some quasi high level bowl game but no shot at the title because our schedules against each other are too weak. That has to have an effect on the psyci of the teams. In any other sport you can start the season at least dreaming that if everything magically happened to fall in place you "could" be playing for the Natty. Not in football anymore. 11-0 in the crappy AAC won't get you ranked by the humans that now control the rankings into a top 4 spot.

1 - The P5 teams do not have enough ability to schedule ONLY each other and maintain their number of home games they want (7 or 8 per year).  The SEC is mandating ONE game against another P5, not all games.  That will not change.  No conference will go to an all P5 OOC schedule... and no P5 team will go to an all P5 OOC schedule.  Not even Alabama or Michigan or Notre Dame.

2 - Yes, a G5 team can and WILL get into the top 4.  USF made it to #2 in the nation only 6 games into the season in what was widely accepted as the weakest BCS conference... what did it take?  First, starting the season near the Top 25... beating a Top 25 opponent early... and getting other teams to lose early.  Is that a given, HELL no... but to use absolutes like "NEVER" is really over reaching.  You forget the CFP committee is not as beholden to tradition anymore.  If USF goes 13-0 in 2016, beating Florida State and winning the conference championship, I guarantee you that USF will be a Top 10 team -- yes other conferences will have to lose a game (and SEC maybe 2) for USF to get in... but in truth, the chances of USF playing in the national championship for football in 2016 are the SAME as they were in 2007.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

https://youtu.be/zMRrNY0pxfM

• Upvote 1