Brad

Must be more to the story...

171 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

It seems Taggart didn't much care to have a relationship built with any coaches which even in he day of Twitter recruiting that's still very odd would you not agree?

First,  how do you know he didn't build relationships with any coaches? If there's nothing we've learned from the Internet it's that the chronic ***** and moaners have the biggest mouths. Honestly, though, it really doesn't matter to me if he had relationships with coaches or not. The proof is in the pudding and he's gotten some **** fine players to come here. CCS seems to have picked up the mantle with the short amount of time he's been here, but that jury will be out for a couple of years.

3 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

But I don't see anything wrong in respecting the coaches of the players you are recruiting.  As mama said, never hurts to be nice.

100% agreed.  I think the best approach would be to try have a good relationship with the coaches and use modern means of contact with the players and families.  However, in the end the player and their family are who you have to win over so I understand the focus/lack ring kissing as a viable option as well.  

24 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Do you 2 not understand the concept of raising a bar?

7 minutes ago, Viking_Bull said:

I understand what that is but I would prefer a conference championship and bowl win over a 11-2 season. I really don't think the bar is set that high, 2 good years doesn't really set a bar for most fans. Now for some fans one good season sets an unrealistic bar.

Maybe I'm the one who doesn't understand the concept of raising a bar .... When Flashy got here, to me, the bar was a lot lower than it is now ... get back back to winning seasons and bowl appearances. You know Skip totally destroyed the program, right? We are back to that point and now the bar is back up ...

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Maybe I'm the one who doesn't understand the concept of raising a bar .... When Flashy got here, to me, the bar was a lot lower than it is now ... get back back to winning seasons and bowl appearances. You know Skip totally destroyed the program, right? We are back to that point and now the bar is back up ...

depends on who you ask :D 

I know a young man who played HS ball for a well respected coach who he thought the world of.  He earned a scholly, was injured freshman year, and rehabbed himself. Sophomore year, he worked his way to being a starter. At the end of the season he decided to quit football, because he didn't want to live the rest of his life suffering from the cumulative (grade school, HS, and college ball) wear and tear on his body.  

His parents got a call from the HS coach telling them he want to see their son when he get home for Christmas break.   He met with the coach, and the coach was all over him for quitting.  The coach wasn't interested in the player's welfare one iota. He was only interested in his own reputation with the college coach.  The player told the coach that he had just lost all the respect he had for him, and to never contact him or his parents again.  

Just now, Ned A Starr said:

I know a young man who played HS ball for a well respected coach who he thought the world of.  He earned a scholly, was injured freshman year, and rehabbed himself. Sophomore year, he worked his way to being a starter. At the end of the season he decided to quit football, because he didn't want to live the rest of his life suffering from the cumulative (grade school, HS, and college ball) wear and tear on his body.  

His parents got a call from the HS coach telling them he want to see their son when he get home for Christmas break.   He met with the coach, and the coach was all over him for quitting.  The coach wasn't interested in the player's welfare one iota. He was only interested in his own reputation with the college coach.  The player told the coach that he had just lost all the respect he had for him, and to never contact him or his parents again.  

And I'm sure no one could ever find an anecdote of a college coach who didn't have the players best interest in mind. 

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

The bar is definitely raised from when a Taggart got here, but the current bar is extremely reasonable and I don't see it being a problem. It's not like FSU or Bama where the bar is set extremely high forever, 2 seasons isn't enough time to permanently move the bar.

6 minutes ago, slowdown said:

And I'm sure no one could ever find an anecdote of a college coach who didn't have the players best interest in mind. 

This wasn't about a college coach. 

My momma said, there's no need to kiss anyone's ass to get to where you want to be.

4 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

This wasn't about a college coach. 

Correct.  It was a story about one time a HS coach didn't have the players best interest in mind.  It's one story.  It could easily be countered with one story of the time a college coach didn't care about a player.  Therefore, it really has no significance in the bigger discussion of who has the players best interest in mind and whether this is about ego or genuine concern for the players best interest.