• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Must be more to the story...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

Just now, Ned A Starr said:

I know a young man who played HS ball for a well respected coach who he thought the world of.  He earned a scholly, was injured freshman year, and rehabbed himself. Sophomore year, he worked his way to being a starter. At the end of the season he decided to quit football, because he didn't want to live the rest of his life suffering from the cumulative (grade school, HS, and college ball) wear and tear on his body.  

His parents got a call from the HS coach telling them he want to see their son when he get home for Christmas break.   He met with the coach, and the coach was all over him for quitting.  The coach wasn't interested in the player's welfare one iota. He was only interested in his own reputation with the college coach.  The player told the coach that he had just lost all the respect he had for him, and to never contact him or his parents again.  

And I'm sure no one could ever find an anecdote of a college coach who didn't have the players best interest in mind. 

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Maybe I'm the one who doesn't understand the concept of raising a bar .... When Flashy got here, to me, the bar was a lot lower than it is now ... get back back to winning seasons and bowl appearances. You know Skip totally destroyed the program, right? We are back to that point and now the bar is back up ...

The bar is definitely raised from when a Taggart got here, but the current bar is extremely reasonable and I don't see it being a problem. It's not like FSU or Bama where the bar is set extremely high forever, 2 seasons isn't enough time to permanently move the bar.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

This wasn't about a college coach. 

Correct.  It was a story about one time a HS coach didn't have the players best interest in mind.  It's one story.  It could easily be countered with one story of the time a college coach didn't care about a player.  Therefore, it really has no significance in the bigger discussion of who has the players best interest in mind and whether this is about ego or genuine concern for the players best interest.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

10 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

My momma said, there's no need to kiss anyone's ass to get to where you want to be.

My momma said, whatever happens between two consenting adults is their business.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Ned A Starr said:

So, did she tell what her's was?

Never thought to ask.

1 minute ago, Ned A Starr said:

It's more about Earl Garcia's butt hurting.

I thought you were talking about kissing asses.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

17 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

It's more about Earl Garcia's butt hurting.

He should use a safe word.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

44 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

My momma said, there's no need to kiss anyone's ass to get to where you want to be.

There is a difference between kissing their ass and communicating with them.

53 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

He should use a safe word.  

4de702d1original.png

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Bottom line: Tags was never in it for the long-haul here. Burn too many coaches and they will steer kids away from you. Build the relationships and they may recommend diamond-in the rough kind of guys that boost your program. If you don't have a long range plan, you do what Tags did, sell the players, build the team as fast as possible, and cash in.

The long-range plan is to have a quality relationship with these coaches who can tell you that "recruit x" is getting looks from the big-boys, but, his mom is sick and he could possibly be swayed to stay home. Or, "I don't know what "so-and-so" is doing over there, but, he has the most athletically gifted guy I have ever seen playing center. Kid likely won't get many looks at that position, but, he may be something for you". Or... Coach, we run the triple-option and I have built my team to do that, but, I have a kid (think Calvin Johnson/GaTech) that can flat out play receiver. Unfortunately, he's not getting any hype because we only throw the ball 4 times per game.

As a recruiter, you can't see the every day stuff. The HS coaches can. You need to have that open line of communication, especially as a G5 program, in order to get some under-the-radar steals. Alabama can have all of the 5-stars they want. I would be perfectly happy loaded up with a bunch of George Selvie-ish 2-stars.

• Upvote 4