• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Must be more to the story...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

56 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

Some HS coaches think they are more important in the process than they really are.  The player and his family are who really matter.

This is exactly what it comes down to. As this quote shows:

“That was news to me,” Garcia said. “It’s not like there’s bad blood. There’s just ... no blood, no contact, no relationship. It’s a unique recruiting strategy. Maybe they’re doing it right. Maybe it’s just me. But I’ve been doing this 42 years and I’ve never seen that.”

CWT has a more new school methodology and Garcia isn't use to this style of recruiting.  He's used to having coaches come in and have to "kiss the ring" to get access to players but with the prevalence of social media, text messaging, etc coaches are no longer the gate keepers to access to their players.  Also, the emergence of scouting services further diminishes the role of coaches when it come to identifying talent.  Don't get me wrong I'm not saying you don't need relationships with coaches to recruit, it certainly helps, but recruiting has evolved into a much more direct contact model where relationships with players, their family, and any potential handlers etc are available without going through their high school coaches. 

Edited by Bull Dozer

42 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

There's always two sides to the story, and Taggart's isn't being told here.

Sure, he didn't stroke the ego of the coaches as much as he should have, and that cost him. But look at it from the other side-what if coaches were trying to tell their best kids "don't go to USF, go elsewhere". USF hasn't always gotten respect, even in the Big East days, from the local coaches. There's always been a stigma of being the "fourth school". If taggart was getting disrespected by local coaches early on, then why wouldn't he adapt his recruiting strategy? 

There's probably an element of "both sides have some guilt" in this scenario-Taggart, for not reaching out to local coaches to help build his wall around Tampa, and the local coaches, for believing that Taggart owed them his total obeisance before he could recruit their players. 

I know for a fact this happened/happens........There may even be some guilty parties that have spoken out against how CWT recruited.....

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

40 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

But then there is this where a coach was trying to get advice and Tags blew him off. Seems to not only be about kissing the ring. 

Maybe he didn't check his spam folder?  

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

24 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

This is exactly what it comes down to. As this quote shows:

“That was news to me,” Garcia said. “It’s not like there’s bad blood. There’s just ... no blood, no contact, no relationship. It’s a unique recruiting strategy. Maybe they’re doing it right. Maybe it’s just me. But I’ve been doing this 42 years and I’ve never seen that.”

CWT has a more new school methodology and Garcia isn't use to this style of recruiting.  He's used to having coaches come in and have to "kiss the ring" to get access to players but with the prevalence of social media, text messaging, etc coaches are no longer the gate keepers to access to their players.  Also, the emergence of scouting services further diminishes the role of coaches when it come to identifying talent.  Don't get me wrong I'm not saying you don't need relationships with coaches to recruit, it certainly helps, but recruiting has evolved into a much more direct contact model where relationships with players, their family, and any potential handlers etc are available without going through their high school coaches. 

With social media making "interpersonal" communication so much easier, time for the high school coaches to adapt.  

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Taggart is flashy. The Professor Harold Hill of college football.

Strong is classy.

We've traded flashy for classy and I'm pretty happy about that.

At the end of the day as we learned from Portal, "the bus is a lie".

Edited by George_Bullnard_Shaw
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

With social media making "interpersonal" communication so much easier, time for the high school coaches to adapt.  

There's really nothing for them to adapt to.  Their job is to coach and mentor young men, that's it.  The process is evolving to a place that their power beyond that is being diminished and he's not happy about it.  Look at the quote in my original post it's all "me, me, me" none of what he's describing has any negative effect on the players and their futures only on the poor ego of coach Garcia and those who think like he does.   Most coaches are uber type A personality people and they are the type of people that usually don't take kindly to losing power/people working around their power.  Garcia doesn't like that he's being subverted in the recruiting process and he sees this as a challenge to his power over his program (see players) and hes angry about it.  

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, 206BULL said:

But then there is this where a coach was trying to get advice and Tags blew him off. Seems to not only be about kissing the ring. 

Again, one side ..... the hs coach could have been a ****.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

5 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

We've traded flashy for classy and I'm pretty happy about that

Flashy got us to 11-2. Bar is definitely higher for classy than when flashy got here ...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

Just now, Triple B said:

Flashy got us to 11-2. Bar is definitely higher for classy than when flashy got here ...

True but Flashy never won us a conference championship and our Flashy coach never won us a bowl game. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Flashy didn't even win the division when we were favored to win the conference championship. Flashy usually burns out pretty quickly.

• Upvote 1