• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mac v. PC v. Linux

charsibb

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,682
  • Days Won:  8

I'd say they're not afraid of using it - but of learning it.

OS's have learning curves, the steeper they are, the less likely the acceptance

But to learn linux you are nearly learning a coding language (at least it feels this way to me)... when other OS you only have to learn what icon to click.

And I am jumping into linux mint, I can't imagine what it was like when linux was all command line. Just to edit and save a script file I need to use the terminal for root access and open it in the command line, who the hell wants to learn all of the needed commands when windows and mac they can just click open, save and be done?

All depends on what you want to do.

Back in the day, even microsoft was all command line, remember MS-DOS?

If you need direct access to system resources, command line is the way to go.

And the GUI is why windows took off.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

And if I have to resort to WINE for all of the programs I need, I might as well just use full blown windows.

I don't remember if Mint has the software center. If it doesn't then try using Ubuntu. It's the most user friendly distro in my opinion and the software center lets you install programs just by looking them up and clicking an install button. If you like Mint, maybe you can try opening a terminal and try typing:

sudo apt-get install software-center

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Granted it was a 6502 processor on an Apple ][+ but my favorite OS experience was working with the FORTH command line interpreter. It was stack based, and you had direct access to all memory locations, registers, and hardware elements. You could literally do anything with it that the computer was capable of doing - all you had to do was figure out how to make the transistors dance. Fantastic memories

And if I have to resort to WINE for all of the programs I need, I might as well just use full blown windows.

I don't remember if Mint has the software center. If it doesn't then try using Ubuntu. It's the most user friendly distro in my opinion and the software center lets you install programs just by looking them up and clicking an install button. If you like Mint, maybe you can try opening a terminal and try typing:

sudo apt-get install software-center

It has the software center, but the center doesn't have everything I want to use on my lap top.

So now I'm trying to install a program in WINE and it tells me it cannot find the Java VM and asks if I would like to locate it... well I went through and completely reinstalled wine, re-installed java, tried selecting the java.exe manually... and it still won't install the **** program... and the linux version of the program just freezes up when opening on "installing updates"...

Maybe it is this particular program... but it has been a hastle, still doesn't work, I am considering re-installing windows.

The program is thinkorswim, by TD Ameritrade.