• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach Taggart on 620 regarding new NCAA changes

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11321551/ncaa-board-votes-allow-autonomy-five-power-conferences

I think the most relevant things to keeping the competitive balance as close as possible are the transfer policies and most importantly, in my opinion, is the scholarship limits.  As long as the number of scholarships are limited to about where they are now, it makes little difference to the competitive balance to where it is now.  if there are only 85 "paid" positions available per school.  There are only 85 slots available to the best players.  Nothing much will change.  The next tier down will still need somewhere to play.  My concern was/is that the P5 raise the number of scholarships available.  That would completely destroy the competitive balance.

USF, I believe is on record somewhere as saying that we will pay stipends if we need to.  I believe we will still competitive.  Now, as a college football fan, I think it sucks that some of the schools that won't be able to match will fall further down competitively.  

"Areas that will not fall under the autonomy umbrella include postseason tournaments, transfer policies, scholarship limits, signing day and rules governing on-field play."

"Leagues outside the Power Five can opt to adopt the same rules. Of course, many schools won't be able to afford measures like cost-of-attendance stipends." 

I don't see how legally a public university can "pay" only football players. Title IX is very clear about discrimination and disparity in women's sports. The school would have to offer the same package to all student athletes. Huge schools can probably do it. $5k per athlete x 500 ads another's $2.5 million to the athletic budget. Chump change for the likes of Bama and Texas but really tough on others

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

USF will need to match pretty much whatever the P5 does to keep on somewhat even ground.

Like making the 4 team playoff or even having the AAC represented? NOPE

Like getting an equal share of all the money generated by the playoffs? NOPE

Like being able to offer your head coach $100 million contract? NOPE

Like being to pay money to all the olympic sports players at the school? NOPE

We aren't able to do those things or have access now. How will that change where we are competitively? I am not talking about what happened these last 4 years because the ptogram was being poorly run with poor recruiting. I am talking about in the big scheme of things.

Which players would you be losing? Which coaches are you losing?

At this point, worst case scenario I see for USF is possibly more coaching turnover if we become successful again.

I don't like that this is happening, but we will fall into the same pecking order as we always have competitively.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11321551/ncaa-board-votes-allow-autonomy-five-power-conferences

I think the most relevant things to keeping the competitive balance as close as possible are the transfer policies and most importantly, in my opinion, is the scholarship limits. As long as the number of scholarships are limited to about where they are now, it makes little difference to the competitive balance to where it is now. if there are only 85 "paid" positions available per school. There are only 85 slots available to the best players. Nothing much will change. The next tier down will still need somewhere to play. My concern was/is that the P5 raise the number of scholarships available. That would completely destroy the competitive balance.

USF, I believe is on record somewhere as saying that we will pay stipends if we need to. I believe we will still competitive. Now, as a college football fan, I think it sucks that some of the schools that won't be able to match will fall further down competitively.

"Areas that will not fall under the autonomy umbrella include postseason tournaments, transfer policies, scholarship limits, signing day and rules governing on-field play."

"Leagues outside the Power Five can opt to adopt the same rules. Of course, many schools won't be able to afford measures like cost-of-attendance stipends."

I don't see how legally a public university can "pay" only football players. Title IX is very clear about discrimination and disparity in women's sports. The school would have to offer the same package to all student athletes. Huge schools can probably do it. $5k per athlete x 500 ads another's $2.5 million to the athletic budget. Chump change for the likes of Bama and Texas but really tough on others

I agree. Has anyone heard about any rumblings of legal challenges to the autonomy.

USF will need to match pretty much whatever the P5 does to keep on somewhat even ground.

We aren't able to do those things or have access now. How will that change where we are competitively? I am not talking about what happened these last 4 years because the ptogram was being poorly run with poor recruiting. I am talking about in the big scheme of things.

At this point, worst case scenario I see for USF is possibly more coaching turnover if we become successful again.

I don't like that this is happening, but we will fall into the same pecking order as we always have competitively.

Fact, The money generated from the new playoff system will be shared among the P5. In the past the AAC got a % of the BCS $

Fact, The AAC does not have a lucrative TV contract. AAC schools will average $2million per year in TV revenue while P5 will average over $20 million. SEC teams will be close to $40 million with the SEC Network.

Fact, the P5 schools are moving to only schedule P5 schools. Not being able to play and beat a ranked P5 team will ensure no undefeated G5 team EVER sniffs the playoffs.

Fact, the huge financial difference between the haves and the have nots will continue to increase. The gap between the P5 and G5 will be like the gap between FBS and FCS. Sure, every once in a while an Appalachian State beats a Michigan or a Georgia Southern beats a Florida (oh wait, that won't happen any more by only scheduling P5 teams)

I think the most relevant things to keeping the competitive balance as close as possible are the transfer policies and most importantly, in my opinion, is the scholarship limits. As long as the number of scholarships are limited to about where they are now, it makes little difference to the competitive balance to where it is now. if there are only 85 "paid" positions available per school. There are only 85 slots available to the best players. Nothing much will change. The next tier down will still need somewhere to play. My concern was/is that the P5 raise the number of scholarships available. That would completely destroy the competitive balance.

USF, I believe is on record somewhere as saying that we will pay stipends if we need to. I believe we will still competitive. Now, as a college football fan, I think it sucks that some of the schools that won't be able to match will fall further down competitively.

"Areas that will not fall under the autonomy umbrella include postseason tournaments, transfer policies, scholarship limits, signing day and rules governing on-field play.""Leagues outside the Power Five can opt to adopt the same rules. Of course, many schools won't be able to afford measures like cost-of-attendance stipends."

I agree. Has anyone heard about any rumblings of legal challenges to the autonomy.

Senator Hatch had this to say yesterday..

U.S. Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) issued a statement Thursday saying the NCAA's new model may warrant Congressional review from the Senate Judiciary Committee, of which he is a member.

“The NCAA should be responsible for promoting fair competition among its participating institutions and their student athletes,†Hatch said. “I am concerned that today's actions could create an uneven playing field that may prevent some institutions from being able to compete fairly with other schools that have superior resources to pay for student athletes. I also worry about how this decision will affect a school's Title IX requirements and whether this consolidation of power will restrict competition and warrant antitrust scrutiny.â€

• Upvote 1

Fact, The money generated from the new playoff system will be shared among the P5. In the past the AAC got a % of the BCS $

Fact, The AAC does not have a lucrative TV contract. AAC schools will average $2million per year in TV revenue while P5 will average over $20 million. SEC teams will be close to $40 million with the SEC Network.

Fact, the P5 schools are moving to only schedule P5 schools. Not being able to play and beat a ranked P5 team will ensure no undefeated G5 team EVER sniffs the playoffs.

Fact, the huge financial difference between the haves and the have nots will continue to increase. The gap between the P5 and G5 will be like the gap between FBS and FCS. Sure, every once in a while an Appalachian State beats a Michigan or a Georgia Southern beats a Florida (oh wait, that won't happen any more by only scheduling P5 teams)

No disagreement that the money gap will widen.

I still don't see where it will change the pecking order on the field.

It may cause some programs to close up. There may even be some schools in the P5 that can't afford to keep up and will fall back to equal footing with some of the higher non p5 schools, but I still don't see things changing on the field for USF much in the foreseeable future.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

I'm kinda lost here... how is it that people think that shrinking the fanbase for major college football is a good idea? Why take more teams out of the mix?

I'm kinda lost here... how is it that people think that shrinking the fanbase for major college football is a good idea? Why take more teams out of the mix?

Silly Rabbit... The schools that HAVE the money are tired of sharing the money. They want more for themselves. It's not about what most football fans want.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Silly Rabbit... The schools that HAVE the money are tired of sharing the money. They want more for themselves. It's not about what most football fans want.

Zachary!

It's the Atlas Shrugged of the sports world...

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

The ncaa just lost an anti-trust lawsuit, I can see this triggering another.