• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

No more hardship waivers

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

this is how it should be

they bring in all the dough

Spoken like a true Leninist.

The Universities don't need these kids. The kids need the Universities.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

College football as a whole is really beginning to disgust me. Still a diehard Bull, but I'm actually looking forward to freeing up some time by NOT watching other games on Saturdays.

I'm fine with the ending of college athletics. Unfortunately, it may only end for the non-P5.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  487
  • Days Won:  0

The silver lining I got out of the article is this:

Permissive legislation -- Designed to allow permissive use of resources by any member to advance the legitimate educational or athletics-related needs of student-athletes. Under this proposed governance model, permissive legislation that is developed and adopted among these institutions and conferences may also be adopted by the rest of Division I at each institution's respective discretion, or as determined by its conference.

If USF, or any other institution, wants to give athletes full cost of attendance then they can. This still hurts most non-P5 schools who can't afford it, but at least they have the option to compete with the P5 financially. Donations will be more important than ever if this passes since the TV contracts are obviously minuscule compared to the P5.

The question now is: will USF offer their athletes full cost of attendance?

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Permissive legislation -- Designed to allow permissive use of resources by any member to advance the legitimate educational or athletics-related needs of student-athletes. Under this proposed governance model, permissive legislation that is developed and adopted among these institutions and conferences may also be adopted by the rest of Division I at each institution's respective discretion, or as determined by its conference.

If USF, or any other institution, wants to give athletes full cost of attendance then they can. This still hurts most non-P5 schools who can't afford it, but at least they have the option to compete with the P5 financially. Donations will be more important than ever if this passes since the TV contracts are obviously minuscule compared to the P5.

Let's go ahead and assume that yes, USF can afford what ever the P5 schools are doing.  I would also assume that a majority of the non-P5 schools cannot afford these increases.  That may spin off the lower division, which would likely not allow those benefits and leave a handful of teams (likely 10-20) in the middle ground.

It's going to be interesting.  If USF can pay the benefits and most of the non-P5 schools spin off, we may end up in a middle ground conference like we were in the Big East.  We'll see what happens.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  487
  • Days Won:  0

Let's go ahead and assume that yes, USF can afford what ever the P5 schools are doing.  I would also assume that a majority of the non-P5 schools cannot afford these increases.  That may spin off the lower division, which would likely not allow those benefits and leave a handful of teams (likely 10-20) in the middle ground.

It's going to be interesting.  If USF can pay the benefits and most of the non-P5 schools spin off, we may end up in a middle ground conference like we were in the Big East.  We'll see what happens.

This would be better than where are are currently, no?

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

This would be better than where are are currently, no?

I would imagine it would have to be.  If the P5 are driving away from playing the lower league there will be a lot of teams in the P5 looking to the "transitional conference" to fill schedules.  That alone will boost our TV numbers.  Over time (a long time) if it all lasts the transitional leagues would make headway in revenues.  Maybe not catching, but getting to 30-50% of the P5 is concievable.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Skingraft - Would make for a really bad investment.  At least if you were investing in USF athletics...looking at it entirely from a financial standpoint.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

Plenty of Lawsuits before this is done... and USF MAY still match what the BIG 5 is going to offer... We will see...

non p5 conferences should break away and form it's own organization(i said this long ago)

They will have to. And not just have a 4 team playoff, but have an 8 or 16 team playoff. 

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

College football as a whole is really beginning to disgust me.  Still a diehard Bull, but I'm actually looking forward to freeing up some time by NOT watching other games on Saturdays. 

This!! I have been doing this for the past few years or so. The only other games I watch are games that involve AAC teams or teams that are in USF's conference. The others dont matter to me. I want USF to win in whatever conference we are in. Whether it was the C-USA, BIG EAST,  and now AAC. I urge all USF fans to support AAC as that is all we have right now. 

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Plenty of Lawsuits before this is done... and USF MAY still match what the BIG 5 is going to offer... We will see...

non p5 conferences should break away and form it's own organization(i said this long ago)

They will have to. And not just have a 4 team playoff, but have an 8 or 16 team playoff. 

+1