• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does USF Athletics Have A Plan?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

you mean like the mission statement:

The USF Department of Athletics provides leadership for the University of South Florida’s NCAA Division I Intercollegiate Athletics programs.  Consistent with the larger institutional mission, the Department is committed to sponsoring a competitive program of intercollegiate athletics for men and women that fosters excellence in competition, in the classroom, and toward the development of the whole person.

Our vision is nothing less than to position each intercollegiate team and every student-athlete to compete for national championships, and to become a model program by every measure used to gauge Division I athletic success: titles, trophies, and championships; graduating student-athletes’ who are well prepared for post collegiate success; building character and leadership; and generating positive publicity and exposure for the University of South Florida and its host communities.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&&DB_OEM_ID=7700&KEY=&ATCLID=222750

If this the plan, its an epic failure. Also there is no evidence they are actively trying to achieve their lofty goals. 

Which of those goals in that paragraph do you think they're not actively TRYING to achieve based on a supposed lack of evidence? 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  495
  • Days Won:  1

Wait... so, you want a plan that says... "if football team wins less than 7 games, coach is fired, if basketball team wins less than 18 games, coach is fired'?

Really? How on earth would you account for major injuries or other unforeseen issues? and, if you are the coach and under contract, after you lose your 6th game, what is the incentive to keep trying? What happens if you end up with 7 Cam Newtons that transfer into your conference one year and the schedule won't allow you to win 7 games?

There is no set way to determine if someone is doing a good job or not, it is always going to be a case by case analysis....

(having said that, if we had a plan and it said... "if coach laughs about not using timeouts while settling for a FG at half time in a close game, he is immediately fired", I would be 1000% on board with that.)

No, I never said anything about firing anybody...just saying that is a horrible "goal" for an athletic program since it is not attainable. Everyone knows the basic rule for goal setting (SMART): Specifc, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time Bound. This goal is only time bound....

My goal is to win the lottery, become CEO of Google, date every single Victoria Secret model, and lead USF to a national championship in every sport (or as many as possible). Yeah that's an awesome goal...not going to happen though.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

you mean like the mission statement:

The USF Department of Athletics provides leadership for the University of South Florida’s NCAA Division I Intercollegiate Athletics programs.  Consistent with the larger institutional mission, the Department is committed to sponsoring a competitive program of intercollegiate athletics for men and women that fosters excellence in competition, in the classroom, and toward the development of the whole person.

Our vision is nothing less than to position each intercollegiate team and every student-athlete to compete for national championships, and to become a model program by every measure used to gauge Division I athletic success: titles, trophies, and championships; graduating student-athletes’ who are well prepared for post collegiate success; building character and leadership; and generating positive publicity and exposure for the University of South Florida and its host communities.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&&DB_OEM_ID=7700&KEY=&ATCLID=222750

Yes and no.

What I like so much about J&J's is they specifically rank them in order of importance.

In effect, it becomes a guide to executive decision-making, which always involve tradeoffs among stakeholders.

With J&J, you know who is the most important stakeholder, 2nd, 3rd, etc.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Wait... so, you want a plan that says... "if football team wins less than 7 games, coach is fired, if basketball team wins less than 18 games, coach is fired'?

Really? How on earth would you account for major injuries or other unforeseen issues? and, if you are the coach and under contract, after you lose your 6th game, what is the incentive to keep trying? What happens if you end up with 7 Cam Newtons that transfer into your conference one year and the schedule won't allow you to win 7 games?

There is no set way to determine if someone is doing a good job or not, it is always going to be a case by case analysis....

(having said that, if we had a plan and it said... "if coach laughs about not using timeouts while settling for a FG at half time in a close game, he is immediately fired", I would be 1000% on board with that.)

No, I never said anything about firing anybody...just saying that is a horrible "goal" for an athletic program since it is not attainable. Everyone knows the basic rule for goal setting (SMART): Specifc, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time Bound. This goal is only time bound....

My goal is to win the lottery, become CEO of Google, date every single Victoria Secret model, and lead USF to a national championship in every sport (or as many as possible). Yeah that's an awesome goal...not going to happen though.

I teach objectives, goal-setting every semester in the strategy course, and have tweaked the traditional definition. Here is my "German" version of SchMART Goals

Specific

Challenging

Harmonious (with your other goals)

Measurable

Achievable

wRitten (goals ain't goals til they're on paper)

Time-constrained

:D

Edited by charsibb

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I think that USF statement is a dream. We all want USF to compete for NCs in multiple sports. We all want athletes to do well after school. ECU has more realistic goals as well as more specific season objectives. I'd like to see USF work first on being a contender in the conference and then start eying national prominence.

Dude, don't sell yourself short. The only one that may not be attainable is the last one because of eligibility ....

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  495
  • Days Won:  1

Dude, don't sell yourself short. The only one that may not be attainable is the last one because of eligibility ....

I meant all of that in one year...still possible? :)

I meant all of that in one year...still possible? :)

Uh, no ....

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Now, with a detailed plan made public, for instance, after Holtz's last year the criteria for retaining him would have been known. There would be no guessing on if he was going to be fired or retained. The same with Heath now and every other coach. Instead it seems to be made up as we go along.

ROFLMAO

Dude, do you really think their plan lays out exactly how many wins each coach has to have each season to keep their job or get fired?  Thanks for giving me something to laugh at after a hard day at work.  Their plan won't include a single thing that anyone can measure.  That would be stupid, as it could get the people that created the "plan" fired.  Any publicly available "plan" like this is just to delude the fans and boosters into thinking they have high standards.  They aren't any more useful than "plans" put forward by politicians when they are running for office.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Now, with a detailed plan made public, for instance, after Holtz's last year the criteria for retaining him would have been known. There would be no guessing on if he was going to be fired or retained. The same with Heath now and every other coach. Instead it seems to be made up as we go along.

ROFLMAO

Dude, do you really think their plan lays out exactly how many wins each coach has to have each season to keep their job or get fired?  Thanks for giving me something to laugh at after a hard day at work.  Their plan won't include a single thing that anyone can measure.  That would be stupid, as it could get the people that created the "plan" fired.  Any publicly available "plan" like this is just to delude the fans and boosters into thinking they have high standards.  They aren't any more useful than "plans" put forward by politicians when they are running for office.

No, I don't I didn't say get trace paper and a copy their plan either. No play would have we win x number of games or so and so is fired. But it could have something about what is expected success wise this season or their will be change made to that program.