• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tampa Tribune and USF Logo

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

Sleeper cells everywhere.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

conspiracy.jpg

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,637
  • Days Won:  3

http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/

They still have the flying goat logo. Why can't the local paper even get it right?

That right-hand "scoreboard" section of TBO's website (it's the same on tampabay.com, just above the main image) where the box score of a specific game or an upcoming USF schedule is listed with the old Bulls logo is not run by TBO. It's run by a third-party service called "The Sports Network" and sportsnetwork.com, which supplies statistics and other numbers in real-time to most news outlets for their websites. It usually depends on the day, because I've seen both the old and new logos used in that info box. Rest assured neither newspaper has control over it.

- Jeff

So Jeff, what you're really saying is that you've seen it and you're okay with it or it isn't worth calling anyone. You could have left it at that. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you've never even tried to have any "...control over it." To say, "Rest assured neither newspaper has control over it." is exactly the point of this post and others on this board regarding the interest in USF sports. I'm betting you never even tried to contact this service (that I'm assuming you pay for to help provide your product to your customers) to attempt get them to quit using the old logo. Again why? Because it just doesn't bother you enough that our school logo is improperly represented to pick up the phone.

You may ask, "Okay Boomer, have you tried to call them? My answer would be, "No." "Why not?" "Because I don't care enough to."

There you go - it's that easy.

My apologies. I was just trying be nice and clear the air about any misunderstandings anyone may have about the local newspapers and their relationship with the service.

No apologies really needed here, Jeff. His post was ridiculous ... I'm not sure why some think this is either paper's obligation to fix, especially considering they don't control it and it's a pretty intermittent screw up to begin with. This is obviously DW and the Athletic Department's **** up to allow this to continue.

Unbelievable. So if you hire a third party to do something for customers that you would rather not have to do and they make errors from time to time just shrug your shoulders and tell the customer that you've got no control over them.

By the way, here's a tip - your control is threatening the service with going to a new service if they can't get the logo right.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

I'm with you Boomer.  Thanks for having pride for your alma mater.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

McMurphy reminds me of the beginning of Ironman 3 where Tony Stark says, "Someone once said we create our own monsters." I think that the way Leavitt treated the media, and him, were key to what became his attitude and treatment of USF.

I doubt you have any idea how that battle started.

Treat someone like this, doesn't matter how it started. Doesn't even matter who was right. This was just another drop in the bucket. In the end, McMurphy proved how mighty the pen can be when its used against a coach he don't like.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  39
  • Days Won:  0

They still have the flying goat logo. Why can't the local paper even get it right?

That right-hand "scoreboard" section of TBO's website (it's the same on tampabay.com, just above the main image) where the box score of a specific game or an upcoming USF schedule is listed with the old Bulls logo is not run by TBO. It's run by a third-party service called "The Sports Network" and sportsnetwork.com, which supplies statistics and other numbers in real-time to most news outlets for their websites. It usually depends on the day, because I've seen both the old and new logos used in that info box. Rest assured neither newspaper has control over it.

- Jeff

So Jeff, what you're really saying is that you've seen it and you're okay with it or it isn't worth calling anyone. You could have left it at that. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you've never even tried to have any "...control over it." To say, "Rest assured neither newspaper has control over it." is exactly the point of this post and others on this board regarding the interest in USF sports. I'm betting you never even tried to contact this service (that I'm assuming you pay for to help provide your product to your customers) to attempt get them to quit using the old logo. Again why? Because it just doesn't bother you enough that our school logo is improperly represented to pick up the phone.

You may ask, "Okay Boomer, have you tried to call them? My answer would be, "No." "Why not?" "Because I don't care enough to."

My apologies. I was just trying be nice and clear the air about any misunderstandings anyone may have about the local newspapers and their relationship with the service.

No apologies really needed here, Jeff. His post was ridiculous ... I'm not sure why some think this is either paper's obligation to fix, especially considering they don't control it and it's a pretty intermittent screw up to begin with. This is obviously DW and the Athletic Department's **** up to allow this to continue.

Unbelievable. So if you hire a third party to do something for customers that you would rather not have to do and they make errors from time to time just shrug your shoulders and tell the customer that you've got no control over them.

By the way, here's a tip - your control is threatening the service with going to a new service if they can't get the logo right.

I'm sorry, but It's not my job to be worried about the logo. I've said multiple times on this board, I'm not on-staff with the Times. I'm a sophomore in college, who writes when I am asked to write. The rest of the time I'm in class and trying to work toward a degree in the next couple years.

I don't get paid to tweet, I don't get paid to interact with readers and I don't get paid to spend my time calling about a logo that has been accidentally changed back to the old one a couple times by a service that I have nothing to do with. I do this on my own time, because I feel that it is something helpful to our readers and I want to provide the best coverage that I can, because people like you and everyone else on here are fans/supporters/alumni who care about USF athletics. 

I don't appreciate you ridiculing me personally for something that I have nothing to do with. All I was doing was being nice and explaining to someone what my knowledge of the service is. I wasn't doing it to get slammed for my response. This is exactly why most reporters don't interact like this anymore. And, honestly, if this is all I get for trying to be helpful, then I won't either. 

Edited by Jeff Odom
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Funny story from Friday night. I met the head coach from a program that I inquired about a grad assistant position with (I'll already have my MBA if I were to get the position, but I figured why not shoot for the stars). He asked me about Coach Leavitt and his time as my coach - he knew Jim from his baseball days at Missouri. He said Leavitt is definitely out there (not saying it was a bad thing - but it just made me chuckle inside). This coach is definitely older than most of us on the board. I shared a humorous story about Jim making snow angels on the new practice fields when the Super Bowl came to Tampa. The head coach got a good laugh. We'll see what comes of my inquiry in the next 18 months I suppose.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

- Jeff

I'm sorry, but It's not my job to be worried about the logo. I've said multiple times on this board, I'm not on-staff with the Times. I'm a sophomore in college, who writes when I am asked to write. The rest of the time I'm in class and trying to work toward a degree in the next couple years.

I don't get paid to tweet, I don't get paid to interact with readers and I don't get paid to spend my time calling about a logo that has been accidentally changed back to the old one a couple times by a service that I have nothing to do with. I do this on my own time, because I feel that it is something helpful to our readers and I want to provide the best coverage that I can, because people like you and everyone else on here are fans/supporters/alumni who care about USF athletics. 

I don't appreciate you ridiculing me personally for something that I have nothing to do with. All I was doing was being nice and explaining to someone what my knowledge of the service is. I wasn't doing it to get slammed for my response. This is exactly why most reporters don't interact like this anymore. And, honestly, if this is all I get for trying to be helpful, then I won't either. 

Jeff, with the football program the way it is you are going to run at a bunch of people mad at the dumbest things. More than usual. Don't take it personal. The Bulls Pen has this wonderful tool called Ignore. Just go to your name on the top, then "My Settings" and on the left is the Ignore Settings. Your time will be much nicer here and those of us that want you to feel welcome and a part of the TBP will appreciate anything you care to add. Thanks for responding and sorry about the response you got.

Edited by slick1ru2
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Good luck with school Jeff. Things have gotten sour here ever since football went South. Some of us like Brett... some others don't. Message boards are a fickle crowd IMO. I think the world of Bulliever, Smazza, and many others on the board, but even some of my favorite people on here clash heads from time to time with each other (or always). For instance, people crush Smazza for his negativity on the board, but when I'm getting texts from him at 4 AM talking Bulls football, it's nice to know someone else besides myself is wondering if we'll ever turn this ship around. Anyways Jeff... good luck with your future stories. I check in when I can. Go Bulls!

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,637
  • Days Won:  3

Geez - I feel like Ben Stiller's character after he spiked the volleyball and nailed the girl.

Jeff - sorry if making my point came across a little harsh. I did not catch that you were still in school and you came across as someone experienced at the paper. Because of that I was more critical of your response.

I commend you for making an attempt to defend your employer, but I hope this is a lesson that you better be ready to handle everything a disgruntled customer can bring if you want to step into Customer Service. As you can see, it takes tough skin to take the abuse intended for someone else.

Seriously, no harm meant and good luck on your studies.