• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls vs Florida Gulf Coast - What you need to know, Game Notes

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

Well I guess I don't understand the rule....

21muljo.jpg

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

21muljo.jpg

It's obvious that you don't. If you care so much, which you seem to, go research it via links provided above.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

21muljo.jpg

think of it like this:

have you ever had a stop watch and tried to see how small of an increment of time you can start and stop it? it's a challenge to get it below .5 or .6 of a second. Now when you're doing this, you're very quickly tapping the start/stop button.

Now apply that to the basketball game.

The problem everyone has with the buzzer/light not being on, is that the scorer, who sits at midcourt, has to see when that ball touches someones body after it's thrown in bounds. They can't estimate or assume when the ball will touch and start it early, thus they're going to likely be a little late on the reaction time.

99 out of 100 of those plays won't work. Yes, I will give FGC credit for probably pulling off the perfect play in both plan and execution in order to respond to that rule, but that play wasn't actually perfect, no matter how cool it looked or how well it seemed to have worked. Had the ball been thrown at the actual rim of the hoop, and a player merely just tapped it in, then it likely would have worked. The fact that the FGC player's arms even "cushioned" a little as he caught/released it show that he spent .3 seconds just doing that most likely and the red light, were it operated by some robot or automated system, would have been lit before that ball leaves his hand.

Edited by Danm1983

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993

21muljo.jpg

It originated shortly after they added tenths of seconds to the clock in the final minute. Someone caught the ball and shot which took more time than the few tenths left. The shot counted because the clock operator did not start the clock. Subsequently they researched it and determined that catch and shoot (release) was physically impossible with less than 0.3 seconds left. Then a rule was instituted saying that. Cannot catch and shoot, must be a tip. The fgcu probably should have lobbied for more time than the 0.3 left. But once that was the time they could only tip.

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

Evidently! USF will have  a good year. Tough new players...Heath BBall is not exciting but effective. 

I can only imagine the comments here if the roles were reversed......

So, if only a tip were allowed, where did  the refs look at the replay?

Nice tough win, congrats. I admire Heaths teams toughness and how they Play D and hit FT's. Teams that do the little things well, go far. USF will do well this year.

Edited by footnfan1

Forgot to add that since that is the rule the buzzer and light are irrelevant. That was the instruction given to the teams before the inbound.

Evidently! USF will have a good year. Tough new players...Heath BBall is not exciting but effective.

So, if only a tip were allowed, where did the refs look at the replay?

Any fan base on the other side would be upset with it. But that is a long standing rule and called many times a year. Some would get that whichever side we were on.

Evidently! USF will have a good year. Tough new players...Heath BBall is not exciting but effective.

So, if only a tip were allowed, where did the refs look at the replay?

Nice tough win, congrats. I admire Heaths teams toughness and how they Play D and hit FT's. Teams that do the little things well, go far. USF will do well this year.

The replay was to confirm it was not a tip.