• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Doug Needs To Make A Phone Call

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

If your browser allows playback of .wmv it is embedded

Just hearing that idiot Craig James/Fowler (can't hear that well) say that was obviously coached to propel the ball but yet, TMack (right?) has no control.

With the interference form the box and the confusion on which hit involved the illegal propelling, it was a mess.  The officials claimed it was TMack #27 that illegally propelled the ball.  The video, even in slow mo, can't back that up.  Imagined full speed getting hit on the arms and having the ability to bat a ball out of your control to a teammate.  That would be special.

LOL.  Exactly.  The most amazing part to me was the implication that USF was coaching this in practice.

Has anyone ever heard of "coaching" fumbles?  No way a coach would ever want his player intentionally fumbling that situation.  Ludicrous.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

So does Doug need to make a phone call about the 2007 Rutgers game, too ....?

Already did.  The refs made up for it by calling a phantom holding against UConn the following week.  Unfortunately, we couldn't take advantage.   :)

Doug should have whined louder. That was worthy of 4 or 5 make-up calls .... although, the announcers said it was the right call so it must have been the right call.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Point is that Big East, now AAC, officiating has been sub par on a few huge occasions. That needs to be addressed with feedback because relying on an organization to learn from questionable practices often doesn't work. These refs do this as a second job, it's not their career. If I were the AD I'd want to have my thoughts heard about the inconsistency of penalty calling, calls that had huge game repercussions. And I'd some think its a waste of time that's your decision. I'd want to know that the league officials are going to be on the same page in this very important aspect of the game. The fact that it's still happening means it hasn't been fixed/addressed. Did the Outback Bowl have Big East refs last year?

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  1

Who cares if he called. Bad calls work themselves out. We get one this season or next. It always balances out. Even if he did call what good does it do?

Ridiculous thinking. I always hear this.

That's like saying because the Patriots got the luck of the tuck rule, and that the pushing penalty a couple weeks ago was evening things out. Tell that to a Raiders fan who missed out on a Super Bowl.

We still haven't gotten retribution for illegal forward propulsion. Or maybe by this logic a missed holding penalty against Charleston Southern a couple years later evened that out?

Completly disagree. It may not be one big call but it can be the culmination of a lot of smaller calls. There are plenty of holding call we never see. I know for a fact there have been pass interference calls against us this year that have not been called. True, you may not the same stage or point if the game, but the calls themselves do even out.

I tend the agree that bad calls wash out. The thing is that like you said sometimes penalties don't get called and in the last 8 minutes of a one score game refs shouldn't make questionable calls. Let the players decide the outcome unless it's blatant.

Its not even bad calls, its learning what the refs are going to tolerate or call during a game. They can't call something one play and ignore it the next. That late in the game, the players should know what is going to get a flag and what isn't.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

As long as it's a judgement call, things like pass interface cannot possibly be consistent.

As long as it's a judgement call, things like pass interface cannot possibly be consistent.

Sure they can. The game I am watching the refs told the teams before the game, looking for the ball while having an arm on the WR will be a penalty. That right there defines  it and they have been consistent with calling it. Its not rocket science. You don't have to rule on intent, but what happens.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

Its not even bad calls, its learning what the refs are going to tolerate or call during a game. They can't call something one play and ignore it the next. That late in the game, the players should know what is going to get a flag and what isn't.

I guess this needs to be repeated to get it through your apparently thick head ... They didn't ignore the OPI on UH. A flag was thrown for it but picked up for the following reason:

b.  Offensive pass interference by a Team A player beyond the neutral zone 
during a legal forward pass play in which a forward pass crosses the 
neutral zone is contact that interferes with a Team B eligible player. It is 
the responsibility of the offensive player to avoid the opponents. It is not 
offensive pass interference (A.R. 7-3-8-IV, V, X, XV and XVI):
1.  When, after the snap, a Team A ineligible player immediately charges 
and contacts an opponent at a point not more than one yard beyond the 
neutral zone and does not continue the contact more than three yards 
beyond the neutral zone.
2.  When two or more eligible players are making a simultaneous and bona 
fide attempt to reach, catch or bat the pass. Eligible players of either 
team have equal rights to the ball (A.R. 7-3-8-IX).
3.  When the pass is in flight and two or more eligible players are in the 
area where they might receive or intercept the pass and an offensive 
player in that area impedes an opponent, and the pass is not  catchable.

The first, OPI that was called, clearly both were going for the ball, it shouldn't have been called. The next PI that wasn't called, it was clearly one player and past the neutral zone.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I guess this needs to be repeated to get it through your apparently thick head ... They didn't ignore the OPI on UH. A flag was thrown for it but picked up for the following reason:

b. Offensive pass interference by a Team A player beyond the neutral zone

during a legal forward pass play in which a forward pass crosses the

neutral zone is contact that interferes with a Team B eligible player. It is

the responsibility of the offensive player to avoid the opponents. It is not

offensive pass interference (A.R. 7-3-8-IV, V, X, XV and XVI):

1. When, after the snap, a Team A ineligible player immediately charges

and contacts an opponent at a point not more than one yard beyond the

neutral zone and does not continue the contact more than three yards

beyond the neutral zone.

2. When two or more eligible players are making a simultaneous and bona

fide attempt to reach, catch or bat the pass. Eligible players of either

team have equal rights to the ball (A.R. 7-3-8-IX).

3. When the pass is in flight and two or more eligible players are in the

area where they might receive or intercept the pass and an offensive

player in that area impedes an opponent, and the pass is not catchable.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR14.pdf

So what you're saying is, Doug should call someone?