• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Know your program

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

I love the idea of making our players know about some of the history of our program.

I remember one day a couple of years ago standing near the reception desk in the front of the athletics building, and a guy walks up, and told the receptionist that his name was Dyral McMillan and he was here to see Coach Holtz. I realized that no one around me (and it was about 5 athletics employees) had any idea who he was .... so after Dyral headed up to the football office I gave those 5 employees one of my 5 cent history lessons. Those around me were all pretty young and none had been with USF for too long, so I understand why they didn't know him, but it was also good to learn.

You look at a program like Miami, where the past players take such an interest in being active and involved, hopefully we can build that culture among our former players.

For those on here who have only been following USF for a couple years, Dyral was USF's first 1,000 yards in a season rusher. I believe Andre Hall is the only other one to pass the 1,000 yard mark (Andre did it twice).

You didn't directly call it out, but Dyral was a transfer from Miami. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

I love the idea of making our players know about some of the history of our program.

I remember one day a couple of years ago standing near the reception desk in the front of the athletics building, and a guy walks up, and told the receptionist that his name was Dyral McMillan and he was here to see Coach Holtz. I realized that no one around me (and it was about 5 athletics employees) had any idea who he was .... so after Dyral headed up to the football office I gave those 5 employees one of my 5 cent history lessons. Those around me were all pretty young and none had been with USF for too long, so I understand why they didn't know him, but it was also good to learn.

You look at a program like Miami, where the past players take such an interest in being active and involved, hopefully we can build that culture among our former players.

For those on here who have only been following USF for a couple years, Dyral was USF's first 1,000 yards in a season rusher. I believe Andre Hall is the only other one to pass the 1,000 yard mark (Andre did it twice).

I also remember that he was no where near on pace for the 1,000 yards mid way through the season and then he just exploded. I think he may have ran for about 200 against New Haven.

Here is more weird trivia, the following season, Dyral was replaced by none other than Rafael Williams, who was USF's first starting tailback (along with Jermain Clemons). Williams was our featured back both before and after McMillan.

I also remember that he was no where near on pace for the 1,000 yards mid way through the season and then he just exploded. I think he may have ran for about 200 against New Haven.

Here is more weird trivia, the following season, Dyral was replaced by none other than Rafael Williams, who was USF's first starting tailback (along with Jermain Clemons). Williams was our featured back both before and after McMillan.

Ok, I cheated and looked it up. 6 times USF had a back go over 200 yards rushing, Andre did it 3 times, Dyral did it twice, and Mike Ford did it once (in his and Jim Leavitt's last game).

Dyral did it in back to back games.  258 against New Haven then 221 against Hofstra. November of 99, so he almost got half of his yearly yardage total in those two games.

When you talk about unbreakable USF records, Dyral McMillan 479 yards in 2 back to back games is probably going to be on the books for a long time to come.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Really don't think we want to use the involvement of Miami Alumnus in their program as a model for success.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130612/nevin-shapiro-miami-ncaa/

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-09-12/sports/fl-miami-sideline-access-0913-20110912_1_new-policy-sideline-shawn-eichorst

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Really don't think we want to use the involvement of Miami Alumnus in their program as a model for success.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130612/nevin-shapiro-miami-ncaa/

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-09-12/sports/fl-miami-sideline-access-0913-20110912_1_new-policy-sideline-shawn-eichorst

You remember the funny thing is the bad guy in that was a former USF student, not a Miami student.

I am talking about the insane pride UM athletes take in that program, and how at big games there are 50 former players on the sidelines. I am sure there are tons of other examples, but living in Florida, Miami is the best example of the schools I am most familiar with.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Ok, I cheated and looked it up. 6 times USF had a back go over 200 yards rushing, Andre did it 3 times, Dyral did it twice, and Mike Ford did it once (in his and Jim Leavitt's last game).

Dyral did it in back to back games.  258 against New Haven then 221 against Hofstra. November of 99, so he almost got half of his yearly yardage total in those two games.

When you talk about unbreakable USF records, Dyral McMillan 479 yards in 2 back to back games is probably going to be on the books for a long time to come.

I remember those games...

It is great to know he comes back to the program.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I have a good feeling those days will be back