• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

TBO: Hopkins gives USF a burst

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

College notes: Hopkins gives USF a burst

By Joey Johnston | Tribune Staff

Published: August 6, 2013

TAMPA — University of South Florida senior WR Derrick Hopkins — listed at 5-foot-5, 158 pounds — has grown accustomed to people sizing him up.

The first impression last spring for USF first-year coach Willie Taggart?

“Man, that guy is small,’’ Taggart said. “My oldest son is taller than he is, and he is 11.

“When I saw him run, I said, ‘Man, that guy is fast.’ We’ve got to be smart and find ways to get him the ball. We’ve got to find ways to use his speed to his advantage and put him in space, let him run past people.’’

Hopkins, who registered the nation’s best 200-meter dash time (20.97 seconds) as a Miami Monsignor Pace high-school senior, had 19 catches last season in his most extensive work as a USF football player.

“I believe I’m going to be able to get the ball and do some things,’’ said Hopkins, who will also work in the return game. “I feel I’ve always got to proving myself because of my size, (but) I don’t think about that anymore.’’

Making progress

Two days into training camp, Taggart pronounced himself pleased with the early progress of his players.

“We didn’t have a lot of do-overs because the guys know what to do,’’ Taggart said. “We had a lot more guys making plays on the first day than we usually do. I don’t like seeing us make a mistake on the same thing we just talked about. That’s what gets you emotionally hijacked and gets you frustrated.

“When we run our plays, we’re going to get out of here and not run any extra plays. When we get to the point where we’re getting out of practice early, and not having to do things over and over, things are really rolling right.’’

Rest of report

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Good to have him back. Remind me again how and in what game he was injured? Kid can be a playmaker if we can find creative ways to get him the ball.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  482
  • Days Won:  1

Reading the rest of the article, Coach T had good things to say about Bench. Hopefully that's a good sign of things to come.