• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF alum Chucky Atkins to join Heath's staff

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Great news and smart move. Didn't realize he didn't obtain a degree from USF.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Bad news as the #1 prospect for the lead recruiter on Heath's staff Charlton Young has decided he is better off at FSU. The loaded Miami area is now a No to USF zone. Young would have been a tremdous get for an USF program that needs to recruit and get some of the best of the best in the state of Florida in order to have a chance at a winning program. With Atkins no able to go out on the road and recruit yet, USF needs to desperately find someone that can go get 'em. AAU coach Kenny Gillion would be the choice if he has the qualifications to be an on the road recruiter.

What an important hire Heath has to make.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

Orlando Sentinel reporting this is not definite

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-76383779/

"A lot has been said and written about that possibly happening, but it's not final," Atkins said after the Trojans pulled out a close summer league basketball win over Wekiva in the Evans gym on Wednesday night. "I still have to consider all the pros and cons.

"Right now, nothing has changed. I have these kids that I'm dedicated to. I'm the coach at Evans."

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Greg said today that it's a solid.

I trust Greg more than those psudo reporters in mouse land.

[Okay, I see they wrote an article.]

Hmmm....

Edited by Beta4East1989

Does Greg have a quote by Chucky?

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

1:28

Comment From Guest

Greg, is Chucky Atkins still returning to USF as a student and to the coaching staff as a student assistant? Is there even any money in that position?

1:29

Greg Auman: 

Chucky hasn't commented since his initial statements to Orlando radio, but yes, he's expected to start summer classes July 1, and with that, take a role as a student coach. There's not a salary involved -- this would be something where he gets a start in college coaching while he finishes the degree he needs to get a real position with a salary.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/

Edited by Beta4East1989

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913

Lots of info in Sentinel story posted today. Still coaching at Evans, hasn't made a decision.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/os-hs-chucky-atkins-usf-or-evans-0621-20130620,0,7911181.story?track=rss

Sounds like no Chucky to me.

:sad:

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

Looks like he's trying to bargain for a guaranteed position after being a student coach from what I read

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982

You can understand Chucky's hesitation of joining Heath's coaching staff especially like he said, there is no guarantee that he will have a job a year from now. He knows he has a job and a good thing at Evans and will evenatually move up somewhere. Besides getting a journeyman coach in Mike Wells who at this point in his career doesn't have any place to go but up, Heath has found it difficult to lure young ambious coaches with upside to his staff. Chucky hinted at it and others are no doubt thinking the same thing, it's just alot of uncertainty about the future of the USF job right now. Hopefully Chucky takes a chance on USF and other quality coaches are willing to take that chance. If they don't you can understand their situation, but Heath and USF really needs as much help as they can get.