• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Softball Tournament

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  1

I'm hoping someone here can confirm this for me. I'm looking at the tourney schedule, and it looks like the games in Rounds 2 and 3 aren't based on "highest remaining seed" but just on the winners of specified games the previous day. Is this correct?

If so, the 3 seed is actually a really good place to be, as based on the format shown it is the only seed to keep home field advantage as long as they win. We already have literal home field, with the crowd likely to be mostly in Green, but practical home field in softball is a huge advantage as well.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Highest seed is always the home team.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  613
  • Days Won:  2

WE WILL BE THE NUMBER TWO SEED

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I'm hoping someone here can confirm this for me. I'm looking at the tourney schedule, and it looks like the games in Rounds 2 and 3 aren't based on "highest remaining seed" but just on the winners of specified games the previous day. Is this correct?

If so, the 3 seed is actually a really good place to be, as based on the format shown it is the only seed to keep home field advantage as long as they win. We already have literal home field, with the crowd likely to be mostly in Green, but practical home field in softball is a huge advantage as well.

Link?

In any event, that seems whacked. #1 seed should be the only one to have HFA as long as they win.

That's what I thought, just seemed strange the way it's worded on bigeast.org, and I had a vague memory during the tourney last year of a higher seed playing as away.

Yeah, not sure what you were looking at , but the schedule and the brackets both look correct to me...

http://www.bigeast.org/Sports/Softball/2013SoftballChampionship.aspx

I was checking on my phone, so maybe I was looking at a shorthand version of it.

Carry on.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Link?

In any event, that seems whacked. #1 seed should be the only one to have HFA as long as they win.

Since it's being played at USF, we're the only ones with home field advantage, but I know what you mean.

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

In the past, the "home-team" designation hasn't always followed seeding.  Really dumb.  In Louisville a few years ago, we were the "road-team" on the scoreboard despite being seeded higher than DePaul and lost in the championship game.  Someone told me that only the first day's designation follows the seeding, then it goes to a coin toss.  Makes absolutely no sense, but it has happened before.  In baseball/softball there is unquestionably a tactical advantage being the "home-team."

We are only locked into the #2 seed if UL/ND get all three games in.  If they split and one game gets rained out, we could possibly be as high as #1, and would at least share the regular season title.  If several games get rained out, we could be as low as #3.

Now, if they split, and the third game goes down as an official game (5 innings or more) and gets called a "tie" due to weather or travel time constraints, it would depend on how the BigEast handles a tie in the standings/winning-percentage.  For comparison, the NFL considers a tie as a half-win/half-loss, and in such a case 18-3 would beat 18-3-1.

Baseball getting postponed reminded me of a question...

When we had our stu[id scheduling error and had to leave for the airplane, why didn't it count as a forfeit loss against us?

It was our fault, right? We were the ones that walked away.

Edited by charsibb