• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Days Won:  5

Nothing to see here at all. MANY students take on-line classes. It's part of college life. Is he living at home while taking 4 Summer classes on-line? Mingling with your fellow students? During Summer? There are a lot of things wrong with CFB, this story is not one of them. Like I said nothing to see here.

+1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

It seems that these days, students are more apt to cheat. Maybe its the video game culture and all its cheat codes and exploits? I don't know what it is but I agree with BYU, ban it. They even had an online scandal at Harvard, but a closer look shows it may be the prof's fault by saying his classes were easy and then setting up his tests as more like traps than questions on the material.

Maybe you lived in a sheltered world when you went to college.  It was very easy to buy test answers when I went to school.  I also recall having to retake an exam in Physics because 50% of the class (out of 200 students) had the exact same answers including the same wrong answers.  Not only was there cheating then, the students were just as stupid about it.

Not saying it didn't happen. I said its more of a way students think these days. That cheating makes them feel clever for beating the system. People brag about it now. And you are providing anecdotal evidence from one class. There is a lot of literature on the subject of online cheating. 

I don't want literature.  Show me studies from then and studies from now.  

Well since you seem to not know how Google works, here are some websites.

http://www.infographicsarchive.com/education-careers/infographic-73-of-online-students-admit-to-cheating/

http://www.glass-castle.com/clients/www-nocheating-org/adcouncil/research/cheatingfactsheet.html

As pointed out the problem gets worse each year and a big part of it is that institutions are worried about grades not education and that it used to be just the struggling students that cheated, now its everyone trying to get a better grade for placement. And it used to be boys cheating much more than girls and now its evened out because its seen as being ok,  before there was a stigma associated with cheating and that doesn't exist today.  Today its seen as no big deal.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I have completely stopped using multiple guess tests. All my tests are short-answer/ essay type questions.

If it's a take-home test/ paper/ assignment/ etc to be turned in electronically, I pass it through turnitin.com

Even after multiple warnings that you WILL be caught if you plagiarize, every semester some students seem to think it's worth the risk.

It isn't. it's like the drunk driving commercials, "You WILL be caught, and you WILL be punished."

:2cents:

• 6 months later...

The Oklahoma St investigation by SI includes online classes as one of the ways to insure its less academically gifted football players passed. Of course, the way the online class is set up also matters in how easy it is to pass. All of us when we had this discussion were assuming that the academic side of online classes was legit. It appears though not always the case at every school.

Running back Dexter Pratt says that in his first semester, in 2009, every course he took was online. "Online classes are the easiest way for [players] to keep their grades up," Cole says. "If you didn't do the work, you can email [the instructor] and can almost talk them into giving you a passing grade anyway."

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,806
  • Days Won:  0

Took Stats II video course because only one guy taught it at the time

Took Stats II video course because only one guy taught it at the time

I took that same course, in Sarasota, and set the campus curve on the first test.