• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Hate ESPN, but I gotta agree with Joe. I just can't comprehend how the Catholic 7 is getting more...

The Catholic 7 is getting more because those schools have the coin of the realm in today's media world: Brand-name recognition. Sure, Bulls fans like us know that USF has been much better on the basketball court in recent years than say DePaul, but to the average college basketball fan, the kind likely to tune in for a game, DePaul is a name they have been aware of all their lives whereas USF doesn't ring a bell. All of the C7, even the bottom of the list, are brand names that have long college basketball histories. No, none of them save arguably Georgetown is in the true ultra-elite with the likes of Duke and Kentucky, but Duke and Kentucky fans know all about Georgetown. They know about Villanova, St Johns, DePaul and Marquette too. They are all "in the club", so to speak.

And because ALL of the C7 have at least some name recognition, there are lots of airable matchups. Georgetown - Villanova is a good game, so is Villanova-St Johns, St Johns - Marquette, Marquette-Providence, etc. Kentucky and Duke fans will casually watch those games.

But, the same is true for only 3-4 Big East teams (going forward). Basically, the only Big East programs with any value are UConn, Memphis, and Cincy basketball, and Temple as well. That's what NBC is paying for. And that value is diluted by lots of matchups with no-names. UConn-Cincy is worth broadcasting. But UConn - UCF or UConn - ECU? Not so much.

And in football, NONE of the teams that will be in the Big East from 2014 forward move the brand-recognition needle at all. Thus, our football "inventory" is largely worthless. There is virtually no audience for UCF - Memphis football games.

That's just where we stand right now.

----------------------------------------------------------------

1. The Carltholic 7 get more respect than we do. Obviously, Georgetown is well-known, although much of their fame came with the help of Syracuse. St. John's and Villanova have great locations, and Marquette is playing very well. But, I am not so sure seven are big national brands.

Marquette-Providence is a national rivalry? I doubt big Kentucky and Duke fans really care about small private schools they have no connection to; they would probably only watch like most other college basketball games outside of their conference of interest. Normally, probably if it is on and no other significant games are on.

2. Navy has a brand with some name recognition. UConn has one of the 50 largest college football fanbases.

UConn? What? And top 50? Out of 120ish? So?

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Hate ESPN, but I gotta agree with Joe. I just can't comprehend how the Catholic 7 is getting more...

The Catholic 7 is getting more because those schools have the coin of the realm in today's media world: Brand-name recognition. Sure, Bulls fans like us know that USF has been much better on the basketball court in recent years than say DePaul, but to the average college basketball fan, the kind likely to tune in for a game, DePaul is a name they have been aware of all their lives whereas USF doesn't ring a bell. All of the C7, even the bottom of the list, are brand names that have long college basketball histories. No, none of them save arguably Georgetown is in the true ultra-elite with the likes of Duke and Kentucky, but Duke and Kentucky fans know all about Georgetown. They know about Villanova, St Johns, DePaul and Marquette too. They are all "in the club", so to speak.

And because ALL of the C7 have at least some name recognition, there are lots of airable matchups. Georgetown - Villanova is a good game, so is Villanova-St Johns, St Johns - Marquette, Marquette-Providence, etc. Kentucky and Duke fans will casually watch those games.

But, the same is true for only 3-4 Big East teams (going forward). Basically, the only Big East programs with any value are UConn, Memphis, and Cincy basketball, and Temple as well. That's what NBC is paying for. And that value is diluted by lots of matchups with no-names. UConn-Cincy is worth broadcasting. But UConn - UCF or UConn - ECU? Not so much.

And in football, NONE of the teams that will be in the Big East from 2014 forward move the brand-recognition needle at all. Thus, our football "inventory" is largely worthless. There is virtually no audience for UCF - Memphis football games.

1. The Carltholic 7 get more respect than we do. Obviously, Georgetown is well-known, although much of their fame came with the help of Syracuse. St. John's and Villanova have great locations, and Marquette is playing very well. But, I am not so sure seven are big national brands.

Marquette-Providence is a national rivalry? I doubt big Kentucky and Duke fans really care about small private schools they have no connection to; they would probably only watch like most other college basketball games outside of their conference of interest. Normally, probably if it is on and no other significant games are on.

2. Navy has a brand with some name recognition. UConn has one of the 50 largest college football fanbases.

Got a link for that?

Basketball I'd believe. Football, not a chance.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

Got a link for that?

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

According to the list, they have the 47th largest college football fanbase.

Got a link for that?

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

According to the list, they have the 47th largest college football fanbase.

Thank you. I remember when this came out.

It was an interesting survey, not really unusable in terms of any kind of decision-making as it's a self-selected survey of 28,419 internet users who may or may not like college football teams, but probably fairly representative in relative terms of which teams are more or less popular.

Very good for smack-talk though, and kind of shows just how weak the nBE is in terms of potential viewership. Anybody still want Tulsa? :wahhing:

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-bige

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-conf

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-ind-

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Those numbers are suspect.  Look at Army and Navy. Then look at the TV rights for their game. Right. And yeah, Tulsa, a team in the final top 25 twice in the past three years. You bet. Bring them. Teams aren't coming in just for TV numbers.

Edited by slick1ru2

OF COURSE they're suspect. It's a self-selected pool of internet respondents. It's also from 2010, so wouldn't have caught Tulsa's recent success.

Still and all, it's probably not far off from a relative perspective (meaning pick 2 teams, then smacktalk about which has the bigger fanbase).

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Who is imposing a deadline? Does that mean the Big East is going to accept the offer if ESPN turns it down?

Without knowing details, this would seem like an incredibly horrible deal if the C7 could negotiate $3.12 per team just for basketball while BE could only negotiate $2M per year with both football and BB included.

This league will still have quality BB with Cincy,UCONN and Temple.

Again, hard to make a complete judgement without knowing all the facts, but seems to me, with this current offer that is on the table, BE is better served to keep negotiating a better deal until the last minute they are able to.

Big time negotiations like this are a big game of poker and chicken wrapped into one. First one to blink loses.

No ultimatums here. It's part of the current contract that ESPN gets to make a counter-offer - there's your deadline

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Who can see ESPN offering $30m at the last minute just to piss off NBC?