• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Did USF football upgrade from a few months ago?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I believe so, and certainly hope so. Couldn't get much worse.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  1

Watching Coach Levitt you could almost feel the passion for this sport that was in his heart. It seemed a whole new team came out after the half on many games. New life, new hope, or just plain coaching magic. Holt never seemed to have that gift. Coach Taggart seems to me to be leaning to the coaching magic side. The future will tell us all. But, I think he has the magic that will get the players to believe that they can do anything. That deep down inside is the power to overcome. The coaching staff he has picked will play a part sure. But can he deliver? I say yes!

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

Watching Coach Levitt you could almost feel the passion for this sport that was in his heart. It seemed a whole new team came out after the half on many games. New life, new hope, or just plain coaching magic. Holt never seemed to have that gift. Coach Taggart seems to me to be leaning to the coaching magic side. The future will tell us all. But, I think he has the magic that will get the players to believe that they can do anything. That deep down inside is the power to overcome. The coaching staff he has picked will play a part sure. But can he deliver? I say yes!

Which was because they came out lifeless for the first half of almost every game for years. Can't tell you how many times we were in the chat room discussing how bad USF teams under Leavitt did in the first half, how down and uninspired they looked. Sometimes they came out fired up after the half and won, sometimes they didn't.  Its really hard to win championships with a team that has to be behind before it gets fired up. And Holtz did get the team fired up, don't think he didn't. You don't throw for 225 yards and a 2 TDs in a quarter if you aren't fired up. Hopefully CWT can have them fired up for the entire game where they don't have to come from behind at the half or lose the game at the last minute, something happened too often under both Leavitt and Holtz.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,894
  • Days Won:  0

other teams with far less talented have been coached and put themselves in positions to get the most out of their players. They can hide their flaws by getting the most out of what they are good at. This is what I will be expecting. The most attention to detail staff that usf has had in their small history. A better understanding of x's and o's. This might be a transition year as it is a complete change in philospohy but I expect to see progress must like penn st..and maybe in year 2 we have a better feeling. We have enough talent and athletes to get 6 wins no matter what you guys may think. A good coach can do it.

Edited by BullsOnThaRize8

other teams with far less talented have been coached and put themselves in positions to get the most out of their players. They can hide their flaws by getting the most out of what they are good at. This is what I will be expecting. The most attention to detail staff that usf has had in their small history. A better understanding of x's and o's. This might be a transition year as it is a complete change in philospohy but I expect to see progress must like penn st..and maybe in year 2 we have a better feeling. We have enough talent and athletes to get 6 wins no matter what you guys may think. A good coach can do it.

Actually, I think that people are hoping that CWT can bring better talent in more than use less talented players better, but I get what you are saying. I think some of it is that there are so many talented kids, you just need to look in places some over look, like smaller schools. And contrary to what most think, I think the team the last two years was full of talent but due to coaching or lack of discipline they weren't playing to their potential. That was especially seen in all the close games lost the very end of the game.

Edited by slick1ru2

Yes...we can snag a few more talented kids but the overwhelming majority are going to be the second teir players with a chip on their shoulder like BOISE ST. Those guys are proud of it. If we can be the boise st. of the east we will all be pretty happy.

Yes...we can snag a few more talented kids but the overwhelming majority are going to be the second teir players with a chip on their shoulder like BOISE ST. Those guys are proud of it. If we can be the boise st. of the east we will all be pretty happy.

Looking at it mathematically, the number of scholarships at the top tier programs is NOT greater than the number of top talent players coming out of high school.  There are so many, that as CWT said, they need to be rated by the program, not Rivals or Scout or whomever because often those ratings are just plain wrong. Nevada's Kaepernick was rated as a 2 star, 67 QB by Scout when he threw for 1500 yards as a HS junior and was a regional/conference MVP, Wendy's High School Heisman finalist, etc.. Nevada was his only offer. He only got that offer after an assistant saw him dominate a BB game with a 102 fever.  I think these players are all over the place to be found, screw what Rivals or whomever says they should be rated. Once they are found, they can be just as successful as any player at a top school. Many top players in college football were 2 or 3 stars out of high school like Justin Blackmon. Chris Johnson, CJ2k was a 1 star recruit. These aren't cases of making an average player better, it was talent overlooked.

Edited by slick1ru2

Then I agree. Based on the current rankings we can snag a few top players but we will mostly deal with the kids who turn out to be great who were not ranked highly. Well hopefully we have the coaching to allow them to flourish.

Having a long term Florida high school football coach on staff would have been such a coop because these guys know the overlooked gems.