• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Calvin Magee to Right the ship

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

"A familiar name for Bulls fans that resurfaced Monday: Calvin Magee, 49, the former Bucs tight end and USF assistant from 1996-2000, who has helped Rich Rodriguez with prolific offenses at West Virginia, Michigan and now Arizona. The USF graduate interviewed for the job when Holtz was hired and has been contacted again, with a strong interest in returning to Tampa. He has worked with quarterbacks like West Virginia's Pat White and Michigan's Denard Robinson, and his Arizona offense averaged 521 yards per game this season while piling up 58 touchdowns."

http://www.tampabay....h-search-begins

I wouldn't call Michigan's offense under Rich Rod "prolific". And Rich Rod's defenses were pretty pathetic, as was Arizona's this year. If he's at all like Rich Rod then he won't be able to adapt to the players on the roster and will ignore the defense and discipline. Pitt's offense was better this year after he left and Sunseri became a better QB with Magee out of the picture. I understand wanting a guy people are familiar with, but that doesn't make him good head coach material - even USF ties don't do that. I'd personally rather have Taggart with his experience and time spent under the Harbaughs.

I'm not sure how you can remotely blame him for the Rich Rod's defenses. As OC, he has no say in the DC hire or the philosophy on that side of the ball. He also worked here under Leavitt where defense was stressed. So I don't think we can draw any conclusions in regards to what Magee's defensive philosophy might be.

Edited by Bullshiznitz

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  37
  • Days Won:  0

I have contacted a ton of former players. We are all emailing DW pushing for Calvin Magee. We care about this program just as much as the fans, we want to hire the right guy to rebuild what is broken and to build it back to something that was greatER than what once was. We are trying to have our voice heard, will he listen only time will tell.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

id actually be disappointed if one of his criteria for hiring a new coach was former player opinion

i see on twitter other former players calling for Canales

If Calvin Magee gets hired it will probably be because Doug thinks hes the right guy.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

id actually be disappointed if one of his criteria for hiring a new coach was former player opinion

If Calvin Magee gets hired it will probably be because Doug thinks hes the right guy.

I would hope he takes fans and former players opinions into account. obviously it should count for like 10% of his reasoning but he works for us.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

yeah i mean i think he has a responsibility to hear fans and players out.... but at the same time i can;t imagine that would factor too much into his decision

of course i haven't hired a coach so i dont know

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

I would hope he takes fans and former players opinions into account. obviously it should count for like 10% of his reasoning but he works for us.

agreed

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  210

Players let emotion factor into their decision too much. Most current players probably didn't want Skip fired. Of course a former player wants their guy to be hired. It's understandable...but it should play a very small part in the decision process.

yeah i mean i think he has a responsibility to hear fans and players out.... but at the same time i can;t imagine that would factor too much into his decision

of course i haven't hired a coach so i dont know

except if he doesn't take them into account, they might not show up or be as generous with donations to the program in the future

well according to greg, leeroy recommended him last time

Greg Auman â€@gregauman

@USFBull89 Calvin Magee is definitely a name that should be on USF short list. Lee Roy Selmon recommended him for Bulls job back in 2010.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  37

We miss Lee Roy apart of this program what a great human being. RIP