• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

As I look for grad schools...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  453
  • Days Won:  1

It has come the time to start looking for grad schools.

I've always wanted to be a longhorn, but my academic profile is probably not good enough for the Jackson School of Geosciences at UT Austin.

Since I don't have a very strong pull towards any other school I have been considering schools for their sports programs(that have good academics too). Tennessee, Alabama, Virginia Tech, LSU, South Carolina.

I just have a hard time picturing myself becoming a true fan at any of these schools. I always want to be apart of a "real fan base" where the stadium sells out and all the fans stand up and cheer. I'm just a bull though. I'm going to bleed green and gold my whole life no matter how terrible we might be at football or other aspects of college sports.

How many of you have your undergrad at USF and went on to other more competitive schools, yet still only care about USF? Is it possible to be a true die hard fan of 2 schools at the same time?

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Your undergrad will always be most important, those were your formative years.

What major are you pursuing, that will dictate which school.

Texas A and M is a good one. Georgia Tech is another. North Carolina has a great academic reputation.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

Went to South Carolina for grad school...was still passionate about the Bulls and went to a couple of Cocks games, but found it hard to get into them like I did for USF. It is like the difference between a mother and a step-mom. Sure, you can learn to love your step-mom, but it will never be the same as your real mother. Choose a school because of the academic quality of the program you want to go into and the location it is in (are there things to do, weather, food, jobs available, etc.).

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  453
  • Days Won:  1

Environmental Science, Geology or maybe Sustainable Development.

A&M kinda conflicts with my love for UT.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

Focus on the academics more than the sports program.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  46

Employment prospects are more important than sports.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

USF for college, Miami for an MD and an MBA, Michigan for a year of residency. Have always and will always be a Bulls fan and only a Bulls fan. Drove around with USF logos all over my truck on Miami's campus. Back window read "My head says 'Canes, my heart says Bulls" and "Cane for now, Bulls forever."

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  111

I can offer the other side to this. I did undergrad at U of Cincinnati and now am at USF in graduate school, and though I love USF and go to as many games for all sports as possible to support the school/teams, I don't have the passion and excitement I had at UC.

If you did undergrad at USF, it'll always be your first love, and no other school will compare, regardless of how awesome they are.

I came here completely anticipating being just as passionate about USF sports as UC, and it just hasn't happened to this point, though I will say soccer here is on a whole other level. I've gone to a lot more soccer games here, but I was definitely more vocal during games at UC even when UC was way worse than USF is at soccer.

I guess what I'm saying is, regardless of where you go, USF will always come first, but you'll still have fun and enjoy your new school's teams and be there to root for them, but it's likely that the same passion and love you have will not transfer over to the new school.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  1,390

I'm going to either FSU or UF next year. Will be interesting...

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399

If you go to one of the big sports program schools, you will share that team with every Jimmy, **** and Harry that never set foot on the campus but latched on to the bandwagon of a winning sports team. You will have no place in building that program's success. Trust me when I tell you, pick a good city or state with a respectable academic program, its far more important that athletics when you do grad school.