• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Doug and Judy's mission in life shoul be to get USF OUT OF BE

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

I don't think they're kidding, grad. Look at what the rest of their post was about. How it was presented.

Football/sports are important in that they do bring in contracts and sponsorships for the university. Should a team have success, this does expand the fan base, which does increase the popularity of the school. We don't necessarily NEED this to take place, but it certainly exists. There's no question.

Another benefit to sports clubs, specifically good teams, is the creation of tradition and camraderie amongst fans and players. It leads to more interest in a school, a desire to be apart of those traditions.

But again, none of that is necessary. Harvard has decent sports teams, but I wouldn't be going there for the sports, imo. If I wanted to go to a school for sports, i'd pick Alabama, UNC, maybe UF.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I don't think they're kidding, grad. Look at what the rest of their post was about. How it was presented.

Football/sports are important in that they do bring in contracts and sponsorships for the university. Should a team have success, this does expand the fan base, which does increase the popularity of the school. We don't necessarily NEED this to take place, but it certainly exists. There's no question.

Another benefit to sports clubs, specifically good teams, is the creation of tradition and camraderie amongst fans and players. It leads to more interest in a school, a desire to be apart of those traditions.

But again, none of that is necessary. Harvard has decent sports teams, but I wouldn't be going there for the sports, imo. If I wanted to go to a school for sports, i'd pick Alabama, UNC, maybe UF.

"They're"? Don't include me in this. I know exactly where UPenn is, I spent my first year of college in the northeast. My point remains valid. Success in a schools athletic program (even being a part in a major conference) directly relates to student enrollment. Watch enrollment at Rutgers now that they are in with the big boys, you'll see.

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,806
  • Days Won:  0

"They're"? Don't include me in this. I know exactly where UPenn is, I spent my first year of college in the northeast. My point remains valid. Success in a schools athletic program (even being a part in a major conference) directly relates to student enrollment. Watch enrollment at Rutgers now that they are in with the big boys, you'll see.

Uh, its not where they are its who they are they is in question. Hint: (They are Ivey_______)

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

USF is not in the same universe as Harvard, MIT, Penn. Although I certainly think it's possible to thrive without a football program at all, the fact that those academic powerhouses do it is completely irrelevant to our situation.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Uh, its not where they are its who they are they is in question. Hint: (They are Ivey_______)

No **** sherlock. Are we going to have a d*ck measuring contest for who can name prestigious schools that we never went to?

Edited by Hem
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

When you have people that are clueless enough to be comparing an Ivy league school that is recognized as having one of the top 3 Business schools in the world to University of Phoenix and then compound the ignorance by saying because they don't have a major football team that the school is irrelevant all you can do is shake your head and laugh.

What world do some people live in? The school produces some of the world's most important and successful business and financial leaders and you don't think the school is relevant?

Wow, dude, time to put away the playstation, spend less time on message boards and learn about the world you live in. Trust me, people that graduate from U Penn have way more of an influence on things in your everyday life than the conference USF will be playing in.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

When you have people that are clueless enough to be comparing an Ivy league school that is recognized as having one of the top 3 Business schools in the world to University of Phoenix and then compound the ignorance by saying because they don't have a major football team that the school is irrelevant all you can do is shake your head and laugh.

What world do some people live in? The school produces some of the world's most important and successful business and financial leaders and you don't think the school is relevant?

Wow, dude, time to put away the playstation, spend less time on message boards and learn about the world you live in. Trust me, people that graduate from U Penn have way more of an influence on things in your everyday life than the conference USF will be playing in.

I've never heard of UPenn... honestly... or Caltech... I am aware of most of the Invy League schools like Harvard, Princeton, Brown, Cornell, Dartmouth, Old Dominion, etc.

Its all about perception... go to any SEC campus in the Deep South and you'll likely get the same answer.

Saint Leo is my alma mater and is a decent school that is renowned through the military around the world for their Veterans Programs, but if you ask a Big10 student or grad about them they'd offer the same answer... Saint Leo who?

Hell there are some people in Tampa and in Florida that don't know what Saint Leo is, or where it is... I can't tell you how many times I have heard "Isn't that a girls school" or "Isn't that located up north somewhere"...

Edited by Bubba Bull

I've never heard of UPenn... honestly... or Caltech... I am aware of most of the Invy League schools like Harvard, Princeton, Brown, Cornell, Dartmouth, Old Dominion, etc.

Its all about perception... go to any SEC campus in the Deep South and you'll likely get the same answer.

Saint Leo is my alma mater and is a decent school that is renowned through the military around the world for their Veterans Programs, but if you ask a Big10 student or grad about them they'd offer the same answer... Saint Leo who?

Hell there are some people in Tampa and in Florida that don't know what Saint Leo is, or where it is... I can't tell you how many times I have heard "Isn't that a girls school" or "Isn't that located up north somewhere"...

Penn, CalTech, and every other school in question is in the national top 10. USF is #170 last I checked. Some of those schools have multi-billion dollar endowments (Harvard, for instance, is around 30 billion). The fact that the top 10 academic universities in the country can thrive without powerhouse football programs is completely irrelevant to our situation.

Edited by WWMJD

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Penn, CalTech, and every other school in question is in the national top 10. USF is #170 last I checked. Some of those schools have multi-billion dollar endowments (Harvard, for instance, is around 30 billion). The fact that the top 10 academic universities in the country can thrive without powerhouse football programs is completely irrelevant to our situation.

Top 10 academic rankings are for schools that are envious of the success of schools like Florida, Georgia, Texas, Notre Dame, and others that are house hold names, where as they are no names.

I agree with you that top 10 academic universities and USF don't mix... our only shot at being relevant will be if we can get a good team together and win some championships.

Top 10 academic rankings are for schools that are envious of the success of schools like Florida, Georgia, Texas, Notre Dame, and others that are house hold names, where as they are no names.

I agree with you that top 10 academic universities and USF don't mix... our only shot at being relevant will be if we can get a good team together and win some championships.

I've met many people that went to these top 10 institutions, and I assure you they are not envious of any of the schools you mentioned. That said, I fully believe that having a good football program, especially for a regional state school in the Southeast US, really helps to attract quality students.

Edited by WWMJD